Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Delta 747-400 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Delta 747-400 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
It really depends how soon they ramp up the installs. They could still feasibly have all in service aircraft done by August with a completion schedule such as this:

January - 1
February - 1
March - 2
April - 2
May - 2
June - 2
July - 2
August - 2
(At this point only modified aircraft would be in service)
September - 2

Realistically, I would expect completion by the end of 2012.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:57 pm

Looks like there are maybe 19 J seats in the section (row 9-12). I think the old WBC seats held 23 people. I'm going to guess the row 10 A/B will no longer be any different than any other seat. If anything maybe less people will stand there while waiting for the Lav.

Rows 1-4 looks like it has 14 J seats, a reduction from 18 WBC.

Add 15 seats to the upper deck in 1-1 and you'll get to 48 J seats just like the press releas says. That will mean the best seat in the plane will likely be 72A.

Anyone know if there will be a divider that can be raised for the middle seats in the 9-12 section?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Wow! These seats look awesome! The way the window seats actually face the window is great plus it adds privacy! I'm impressed! Can't wait to ride on one of these....and the Y seats with PTVs finally make the product competitive and up to date with international standards. I saw the plane parked at DTW yesterday. Was interesting to see 3 747s in gates at DTW. Must have been the NGO flight, NRT flight and the recently modified plane sitting there.
The only negative I can think of is that with this design, the middle seats face each other. So, if your traveling by yourself, you'll be forced to look at the other person sittting alongside of you.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:29 pm

With only 4 pairs of middle seats, I expect couples will pick these up most of the time so it shouldn't be an issue. The renderings they showed when the project was first announced did not appear to have any sort of divider in these middle rows.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by timf
With only 4 pairs of middle seats, I expect couples will pick these up most of the time so it shouldn't be an issue. The renderings they showed when the project was first announced did not appear to have any sort of divider in these middle rows.
I think there's 5 rows. Look closely at the very front wall. There's a control that sticks out and the document cut out. Maybe they'd leave the cutout, but I don't think they'd leave a control hanging out in the middle of the isle where a bev cart could snap it off. I think the seats run to the bulkhead so the picture is taken from inside the very first seat set of the section.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
I think there's 5 rows. Look closely at the very front wall. There's a control that sticks out and the document cut out. Maybe they'd leave the cutout, but I don't think they'd leave a control hanging out in the middle of the isle where a bev cart could snap it off. I think the seats run to the bulkhead so the picture is taken from inside the very first seat set of the section.
You're right, there are 5 rows. I was looking at your previous post that mentioned rows 9-12 and completely neglected to check the picture. In any case, compared to the 777 and 767 there are a lot fewer row options for couples who want to sit together.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by motytrah
Looks like there are maybe 19 J seats in the section (row 9-12). I think the old WBC seats held 23 people. I'm going to guess the row 10 A/B will no longer be any different than any other seat. If anything maybe less people will stand there while waiting for the Lav.

Rows 1-4 looks like it has 14 J seats, a reduction from 18 WBC.

Add 15 seats to the upper deck in 1-1 and you'll get to 48 J seats just like the press releas says. That will mean the best seat in the plane will likely be 72A.
It's actually 14 seats in the nose section, 20 seats in the second BE cabin, and 14 seats on the upper deck.

The seatmap is almost correct except it does not show the two center single seats in the nose section yet....

On the upper deck, it is three rows on the "A" side, and four rows on the "K" side.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
It's actually 14 seats in the nose section, 20 seats in the second BE cabin, and 14 seats on the upper deck.

The seatmap is almost correct except it does not show the two center single seats in the nose section yet....

On the upper deck, it is three rows on the "A" side, and four rows on the "K" side.
CD, the upper deck arrangement baffles me a lot. There's a much higher amount of loss in capacity switching from old J to new J in the upper deck compared to the lower decks. I checked other carriers offering flat beds, and they can fit in 18-20 flat bed seats in the upper deck.

I wonder what's going with DL.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
CD, the upper deck arrangement baffles me a lot. There's a much higher amount of loss in capacity switching from old J to new J in the upper deck compared to the lower decks. I checked other carriers offering flat beds, and they can fit in 18-20 flat bed seats in the upper deck.

I wonder what's going with DL.
It's the herringbone seats. A run through Seat Guru suggests that CX and NZ are the only operators of the 747 with herringbone J seats. CX has managed to squeeze 22 seats on the UD, but these are the infamous "coffin" J seats. OTOH, NZ has only 10 and then some premium economy. It looks like they could probably only fit four more J seats up there if they ditched the W from the seat map, so it seems DL is in line given their choice of herringbone. If they'd gone for something that didn't guarantee direct aisle access for all (against the direction they're heading), they probably could have gotten 20 or 22.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Nice, can't wait to see UD pix. Hope the storage bins didn't go.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
From the pictures...

Are the seat controls reachable without leaning forward when you are sitting? How about in bed mode? It seems kinda far...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by mtkeller
It's the herringbone seats. A run through Seat Guru suggests that CX and NZ are the only operators of the 747 with herringbone J seats. CX has managed to squeeze 22 seats on the UD, but these are the infamous "coffin" J seats. OTOH, NZ has only 10 and then some premium economy. It looks like they could probably only fit four more J seats up there if they ditched the W from the seat map, so it seems DL is in line given their choice of herringbone. If they'd gone for something that didn't guarantee direct aisle access for all (against the direction they're heading), they probably could have gotten 20 or 22.
Great explanation. ^ VS was able to squeeze in 20 seats though. But I think the layout of their upper deck (restrooms, crew rest, galley, etc.) is different.

Looking at BR's seat map, they are able to cram 60 coach seats in the upper deck. So I was thinking that DL could've crammed 50-60 coach seats in their upper deck and expanded J up until the wings. But then I did a quick estimate that 48 Y seats in the lower deck would've been lost.

So for a maximum gain of 12 coach seats, putting Y in the upper deck, removing the opportunity to fly J in the upper deck, and potentially having Y pax in the upper deck invade the J cabin downstairs wasn't worth it. [We all have the bean counters inside ourselves, don't we?]

There's just a massive drop in J capacity!

- Pat
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Great explanation. ^ VS was able to squeeze in 20 seats though. But I think the layout of their upper deck (restrooms, crew rest, galley, etc.) is different.
I don't know that SeatGuru has an accurate UD seat map for the VS 747. On their own site, they only show Upper Class on the UD in one configuration, and it only has 10 seats plus some Y. Looks like they could maybe push that to 15–16 J seats, but not 20+.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
As a proud PMNW customer I'm really happy to see these birds not only living, but thriving as part of Delta. This looks amazing.

And glad they improved on the 777 with the window seats actually facing the window!

Kudos to the cabin team at Delta.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, Privium, CBP Global Entry, Delta Reserve AMEX, Delta Reserve Business AMEX

Looking at BR's seat map, they are able to cram 60 coach seats in the upper deck. So I was thinking that DL could've crammed 50-60 coach seats in their upper deck and expanded J up until the wings. But then I did a quick estimate that 48 Y seats in the lower deck would've been lost.

So for a maximum gain of 12 coach seats, putting Y in the upper deck, removing the opportunity to fly J in the upper deck, and potentially having Y pax in the upper deck invade the J cabin downstairs wasn't worth it. [We all have the bean counters inside ourselves, don't we?]

There's just a massive drop in J capacity!

Agreed, less capacity --- but always seems to be enough seats for paid customers. Not as much room for Delta employees.

- Pat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.