Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Delta 747-400 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Delta 747-400 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by NWA_5479
The ATL-NRT seat map for the 747 for May and beyond has looked a little different; I wonder if it is the new arrangement.

1-1 upstairs, though? Wow.
do a search for a business class seat. The lie-flat seat icon appears so yeah, its the new arrangement.

Flat-Bed SeatClose
Enjoy a fully flat bed and direct aisle access.
DL 295 : Available

I always wondered why they didnt go with a 1-1-1 config upstairs. There's certainly enough room.

Still, this will give Delta the best 747 upper deck business class seat out of all the airlines flying 747's.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:49 am

Rumor has it the first aircraft will re-enter service by the end of the month.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I always wondered why they didnt go with a 1-1-1 config upstairs. There's certainly enough room.

Still, this will give Delta the best 747 upper deck business class seat out of all the airlines flying 747's.
Will the 744 BE seats be similar to those on the 777LR? If so, CX uses a very similar seat upstairs on the 744 in a 1-1 configuration and there def isn't room for 1-1-1.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Will the 744 BE seats be similar to those on the 777LR? If so, CX uses a very similar seat upstairs on the 744 in a 1-1 configuration and there def isn't room for 1-1-1.
I believe they are similar to the 77L but the head is into the aisle vs into the wall - reverse herringbone or something to that effect...
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
I believe they are similar to the 77L but the head is into the aisle vs into the wall - reverse herringbone or something to that effect...
Thanks for the clarification. CX has the head at the window similar (identical?) to the 77L.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
My NRT-ATL for Memorial Day 2012 has definitely gone to the new configuration. I can't figure out which seat to book for myself. I really like the extra space/shoulder room of 7A on the 77L. What is comparable on the modified 744? The last row of each cabin?

While I generally like the upper deck (except the tiny overheads--any word on changes there?) right now I've picked 6A. I might pick the last row in front of the exit door on the UD if that will have some extra space.

FWIW, my LAX-NRT over Fourth of July has gone 77L. Seems like a waste of the LR; I assume it must be for a/c positioning reasons-- in from SYD, out to NRT?
747 upper-deck had huge side lockers, seem to remember being able to fit a roller carry-on in there. Never used the overhead on the 747 UD, even when traveling without checked luggage.

Any idea when this will be compete? Thinking of taking a trip currently served by the 747s, yet have until mid-'13 to fly it. If they'll be complete by end of '12, then cool.

Last edited by sbagdon; Dec 21, 2011 at 11:07 am
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Pretty excited about the lie flat mods coming online to the 747, except for one little (possibly major) issue... the drastic reduction in J seat quantity will likely mean higher prices and even worse Z availability for those trying to use an SWU.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Looking at the new 747-400 seat maps for this spring, I only count 46 J seats. I thought there were supposed to be 48 seats. The nose only shows seats along the windows, and I would expect there to be at least 1 row of middle seats in this section. I wonder if these didn't fit or if there's just a bug with the seat map?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
Originally Posted by TTT
Haha! Might be a little out of range - even for the LR.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MCO-BKK
Nope.

The LR can make it with hundreds of miles to spare. (No ETOPS issues on this route).
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rylan
Pretty excited about the lie flat mods coming online to the 747, except for one little (possibly major) issue... the drastic reduction in J seat quantity will likely mean higher prices and even worse Z availability for those trying to use an SWU.
rylan,

I just used two swu's for ATL - BKK with the new lie-flat 180 config 747 on the ATL-NRT segment. Lots of Z out there, in fact for the date I'm traveling, its Z9. I just hope that Delta gets the requisite # of 747's back to fly ATL - NRT. Date of travel is April 5. The first 747 on ATL - NRT is scheduled for March 23...The way back, there was no Z. Z was through MSP or DTW only.

Anyway, I'm cautiously excited for ATL - NRT. I'm upstairs with the 1 - 1 config. The emergency row, 77, was already taken but I don't really think that matters with the lie-flats.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
rylan,

I just used two swu's for ATL - BKK with the new lie-flat 180 config 747 on the ATL-NRT segment. Lots of Z out there, in fact for the date I'm traveling, its Z9. I just hope that Delta gets the requisite # of 747's back to fly ATL - NRT. Date of travel is April 5. The first 747 on ATL - NRT is scheduled for March 23...The way back, there was no Z. Z was through MSP or DTW only.

Anyway, I'm cautiously excited for ATL - NRT. I'm upstairs with the 1 - 1 config. The emergency row, 77, was already taken but I don't really think that matters with the lie-flats.
Did you find the ticket more expensive than normal? I have been looking to book a flight using two swu's from XXX-BKK, GUM, or NRT, and noticed flights in M more than $1K what I paid last year. Part of it looks like an increase in taxes (almost $500 now), while some is in the base. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:25 am

My NRT-ATL for Memorial Day 2012 has definitely gone to the new configuration. I can't figure out which seat to book for myself. I really like the extra space/shoulder room of 7A on the 77L. What is comparable on the modified 744? The last row of each cabin?

While I generally like the upper deck (except the tiny overheads--any word on changes there?) right now I've picked 6A. I might pick the last row in front of the exit door on the UD if that will have some extra space.

FWIW, my LAX-NRT over Fourth of July has gone 77L. Seems like a waste of the LR; I assume it must be for a/c positioning reasons-- in from SYD, out to NRT?
more of lack of routes that need a LR.

Only routes that *need* it (ie would take a cargo hit) are ATL-DXB/JNB, DTW-HKG and LAX-SYD. The ERs can do DTW-PEK/PVG/ICN easy.

Don't look for new long haul routes out of Delta for S12, Anderson is to scared of wall street. (same reason why the domestic hard product is so terrible.)

*note, If LAX-MEL happens i don't call it new because it would be a take over from Virgin.*
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
Nope.

The LR can make it with hundreds of miles to spare. (No ETOPS issues on this route).
It is well within Boeing's promotional range figure of 9300-ish NM, however, in actuality this route is on the edge of the aircraft's capabilities and would not be economically viable. You must realize that Boeing gets this nominal figure from what they think would be typical usage (no airline would break even using Boeing's marketing figures.) Looking at the payload/range chart, the airplane would make it, but it would have to leave a lot of revenue-generating payload behind.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Seems like a waste of the LR; I assume it must be for a/c positioning reasons-- in from SYD, out to NRT?
A sitting airplane does an airline no good. It has to get to LAX to fly that route anyways, might as well make some revenue out of it.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by spudley007
Did you find the ticket more expensive than normal? I have been looking to book a flight using two swu's from XXX-BKK, GUM, or NRT, and noticed flights in M more than $1K what I paid last year. Part of it looks like an increase in taxes (almost $500 now), while some is in the base. Any thoughts?
not more expensive then usual, even for the refurb 744. It didnt matter what routes I took, all the same. 3 years ago, I paid $2600.00 RT for an M fare JFK - SIN. Today...well.. you know how much

As it turns out, the 744 I was booked on from ATL - NRT for April 4 has now switched back to the 77L. The start up date for the 744 on that segment has been pushed back. Must be teething problems with the 744 mods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.