Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Delta 747-400 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Delta 747-400 Interior Mod Tracking Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
Thanks for the update! 4 months to install seats?
install . . . and test. Whenever an aircraft gets new seats, they must be tested to ensure they conform to FAA crash standards. After the first bird passes the tests, then subsequent installations will just take a matter of a few weeks.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp
Hey guys...I know there's a HUGE amount of interest in the 747 flat bed project, so wanted to provide a quick update. The plane went into mod in PEK in October and is scheduled to return to service later this month. We'll be posting a lot of info about the new cabin config, JC seats, YC seats and IFE on the Delta blog in the coming weeks.

Stay tuned...

Chris B.
Sr. Product Manager
Customer Experience
Thanks Chris,

I already had to make changes to one itinerary because of sched changes to ATL - NRT and the 744. Hopefully, as the delta.com sched has it now, it wont be delayed any longer. I re-did my whole itinerary, and I'm now on the 4/11/12 ATL - NRT flight. According to delta.com, its on the refurbished 744. Are any more delays anticipated for the 744 on the ATL - NRT route?

Last edited by DL2SXM; Jan 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Hey guys...I know there's a HUGE amount of interest in the 747 flat bed project, so wanted to provide a quick update. The plane went into mod in PEK in October and is scheduled to return to service later this month. We'll be posting a lot of info about the new cabin config, JC seats, YC seats and IFE on the Delta blog in the coming weeks.

Stay tuned...

Chris B.
Sr. Product Manager
Customer Experience
Can't wait, esp for UD info. The 747 UD was amazing, add flat beds and I can't wait. Now just lower your M fares and I'd be really happy.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Thanks for the update!^

I resided to change my June trip to the 777 from the 747 because of my concerns and not someone from DL updates!

Ah well.

C'est la vive
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
install . . . and test. Whenever an aircraft gets new seats, they must be tested to ensure they conform to FAA crash standards. After the first bird passes the tests, then subsequent installations will just take a matter of a few weeks.
I hope this is true... I'm flying from DTW-NRT early June and am extremely hopeful the mods will be complete on this route by then. Hopeful, but not optimistic.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
is it normal for the first refurb to take 5 months?

Seems a tad long to me.
STCs take a while to get. You can't just go out and buy a seat and put it on a plane. The FAA has to approve it.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
who knows why? Not I. maybe a problem with the installation and the manufacturer had to redesign the seat?
unlikely. The seat is already in use by a few airlines just none have 747s.
(maybe it has to do with Delta being cheap and picking AMECO over TechOps. Wouldn't be the first time a vender has screwed up.)

Really, its likely justbecause it takes a while to get a STC.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:19 pm
Suspended

I guess row 77 on the uppder deck of the 744 won't mean as much once the mods are completed, ya know?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
unlikely. The seat is already in use by a few airlines just none have 747s.
(maybe it has to do with Delta being cheap and picking AMECO over TechOps. Wouldn't be the first time a vender has screwed up.)

Really, its likely justbecause it takes a while to get a STC.
Is DL doing a C or D check at the same time?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I guess row 77 on the uppder deck of the 744 won't mean as much once the mods are completed, ya know?
Ah, a silver lining... since if the mods aren't finished on my flight ex DTW to NRT in early June, at least I will get to finally experience the glory of row 77 upper deck, as this is where I am booked. Still hoping for mod completion but the legend of row 77 beckons.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by motytrah
Is DL doing a C or D check at the same time?
err. I am not sure who does the C/PSV checks. D/HMVs *were* being done in MNL. AFAIK venders haven't changed. (and if i were a betting man i would bet that MNL does the C checks too.) I believe PEK was the cheapest vender for the 747s.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:56 am
Suspended

Is there a list somewhere of all DL TATL and TPAC flights with flat beds? Or is it just to/from LHR?

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 12, 2012 at 8:01 am
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:12 am
Suspended

Stay tuned...

Chris B.
Sr. Product Manager
Customer Experience
Chris, pics, pics, pics!!!

Any chance of seeing a few domestic runs that are available to the paying public? Maybe a ATL or JFK - LAX route?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Ah, a silver lining... since if the mods aren't finished on my flight ex DTW to NRT in early June, at least I will get to finally experience the glory of row 77 upper deck, as this is where I am booked. Still hoping for mod completion but the legend of row 77 beckons.
73A is the best seat in the house.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:27 am
mdb

Originally Posted by Tom Williams
73A is the best seat in the house.
+1 Yup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.