Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta picked me up in a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by rubey419
Rode a Panerrama with the “Private Delta Jets” logo. I always thought they were reserved for the private jet transfers?
IIRC, DL Private Jets was sold to Wheels Up and folded in, with DL taking a stake in Wheels Up. Sounds like they didn't want to scrape the lettering off the car.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I am done in about 2 years with work and will have racked up ~4.5MM. I really would like the experience 1 time. I lived in MN for 30 years and mostly flew direct but now live in ELP and connect via ATL regularly. May the Porsche gods smile up all of us at least once.
rubey419 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriot Ambassador ; Delta Diamond ; Avis President's Club ; National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ekozie
IIRC, DL Private Jets was sold to Wheels Up and folded in, with DL taking a stake in Wheels Up. Sounds like they didn't want to scrape the lettering off the car.
Oh that makes sense!

Originally Posted by hnewman
I am done in about 2 years with work and will have racked up ~4.5MM. I really would like the experience 1 time. I lived in MN for 30 years and mostly flew direct but now live in ELP and connect via ATL regularly. May the Porsche gods smile up all of us at least once.
Congrats! May I ask what you do? Always curious to hear from the lifetime road warriors.

Hope you earn that surprise Porsche transfer, maybe it’s easier to get with less volume these days at ATL.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by hnewman
Hope you get at least 1 ride before you retire. I've only had 1 - from the old RJ maze at JFK T2 to the head end jitney gate at T4. Not a tight connection either.
hnewman likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:36 pm

I was surprised with the Porsche experience this past Friday at LAX after scanning my boarding pass at the gate. Flight was leaving from a remote stand, I was taken to the plane in a Cayenne.

I was definitely not expecting it, as a PM flying on a basic economy award-ticket to Phoenix.
CO-PLAT, MSPeconomist, viz and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by drjeffrock
I was surprised with the Porsche experience this past Friday at LAX after scanning my boarding pass at the gate. Flight was leaving from a remote stand, I was taken to the plane in a Cayenne.

I was definitely not expecting it, as a PM flying on a basic economy award-ticket to Phoenix.
Excellent use of the Porsche - letting folks avoid the bus.
MU and CZ do that for FC passengers at their bus gates (not a Porsche but a smaller van for just the FC passengers). And I had direct transfer once at CDG, but it was to make a tight connection from a US arrival to a non-EU flight (probably can't happen for EU because you'd have to clear immigration).
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by drjeffrock

On a BE fare! I'm sure all the other pax were like--who is the big shot getting a ride in the Porsche!? Oh, just the guy in 26 F....
drjeffrock and williwaw like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
On a BE fare! I'm sure all the other pax were like--who is the big shot getting a ride in the Porsche!? Oh, just the guy in 26 F....
lol! Indeed. I was sitting in the back of the plane, yet boarded first. My friends got a kick out of that when I told them.
KRUXED and rubey419 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Nice way to start 2021. On Saturday flew ATL-LAX-HNL. Was met at LAX by Derek and the Porsche Cayenne. Had 2 hour layover so went to Skyclub. Derek retrieved me from the Skyclub and whisked me over to TBIT. Nice surprise and great tour of the new construction at the airport. Thanks Delta.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 3:22 pm

Surprise ride in the Macan and a mini adventure...

My companion and I were flying LAX-MSP-FLL on 8/29. 52 minute connection. LAX-MSP delayed. Seems like we left ~30-40 minutes late, but had a tail wind so I was cautiously optimistic.

I readjusted my wrist-watch in flight and to my surprise when we landed we were about 1h:20mm from departure. I turned to my companion and said "Damn, that was a helluva tail wind! We're all good!". Then I turned my phone off airplane mode and immediately got a notification that boarding had already started. I scratched my head a bit in a haze of confusion, then noticed the time on my phone was 1 hour ahead of the time on my watch. I'm an idiot. I got the time-zone wrong.
I turned to my companion and exclaimed my err. First time here , I have no idea where we are going, but I know we are going to be sprinting. Deplaning is stalled for whatever reason, people cant get their crap together, and we are way up in F deplaning from rear of cabin - of course.

Finally get off, and just as we are about to break into sprint down the jet bridge, I hear someone call my name behind me. I look back and there is a delta agent at the door with my name on an iPad. She tells us follow her out the side door and down the steps. The Macan is waiting at the foot of the stairs. We hop in and peel off. We find our plane and head up the stairs through the side door. But something was amiss. The plane was empty, no passengers, no crew , no lights for that matter. Wrong plane! Jet back down the steps, back in the macan - skirrrrrrrt!! (Actually, the traction control was on. No such sound was emitted). So yada yada yada , we finally get to the plane. Bags miraculously made it on as well, and we set sail.

Soooo... this was basically a first for me and I've been in this exact situation about 3 times prior with Delta. How common is this folks? What gives?

Kudos to Delta all around!
ND76, trooper and ryw like this.

Last edited by Tine Rod; Sep 2, 2021 at 4:29 pm
Old Sep 2, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
I wonder what would have happened if the car had already left before realizing they brought you to the wrong plane...now you have tqwo pax just hanging out in an uncontrolled environment in a plane - not ideal!
photojojo likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flsusi
I wonder what would have happened if the car had already left before realizing they brought you to the wrong plane...now you have tqwo pax just hanging out in an uncontrolled environment in a plane - not ideal!
They dont leave. Few times I've gotten ride, driver goes to agent to mark you as onboard. They dont just send you up the stairs on your own.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They dont leave. Few times I've gotten ride, driver goes to agent to mark you as onboard. They dont just send you up the stairs on your own.
Yep. She led us up. Seems a given considering we bypassed the Bp scan. The scene played out like when you open someone’s front door, look left and right and say hello, is anyone one home (absent that part). Quite amusing in retrospect. We had a good laugh.
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:08 pm

………..
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Tine Rod
Soooo... this was basically a first for me and I've been in this exact situation about 3 times prior with Delta. How common is this folks? What gives?
Not super common. If they have the excess car they’ll look for situations like yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.