Wiki Posts
Search

Delta picked me up in a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by brad9696

Just a publicity stunt in my mind. Like numerous things here..."All hat, no cattle".
While I am not a golfer, I am familiar with the phrase "Drive for show, put for dough."

I am not trying to make a play on words here, but DL management are "Driving for show" with this little stunt.

What matters (the putting for dough) is not a once in my travel career publicity stunt but, rather, what happens consistently trip after trip.

Perhaps the memory of this experience will sustain the OP the next time he, in spite of his new DM-ness, gets FCM'd into a coach seat on a CR700 between two major cities that used to be served by real jets.

... or when he finds out that the T-72 rule also applies to DMs.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
I can't believe that no one has mentioned the real reason this is happenning -- Porsche is moving its operations to right next to ATL. From ABC News/AP on May 12, 2011:

"Porsche Cars North America said Thursday it plans to consolidate several of its U.S. operations at a new $100 million complex being planned in the Atlanta area, where it already has headquarters.

The German luxury automaker said the complex, to be built near the new International Terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, will include a road course allowing potential customers to take luxury cars for a spin.

Other U.S. operations moving to Atlanta include Porsche Financial Services Inc. and Porsche Business Services Inc., both currently located in Lisle, Ill. A now-shuttered Ford Motor Co. plant sits there now."

DM = Potential Customers

Full story at: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...2#.TrKVRrL4VI4
Yep..they relocated their HQ to the ex-Ford plant location.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by ianturner
all the people bashing it in this thread are only bashing it and saying its stupid because they are jealous it hasn't happened to them. if it had happened to them they would be praising it and saying it was awesome......
So true.

This is just plain great. Delta is using a Luxury vehicle to make their High Value Clients feel important and priviledged. I love it! Keep it up, Delta.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:02 am

In my mind this is a brilliant marketing idea. Kind of like the celebrity freebie bags. So Porsche provides the car which is essentially a personal test drive for a very specific client base. DM's ending their trips in ATL without checked bags, get a express ride to their cars in the lot.

Delta wins by providing a really cool perk - it's the little things that make a difference
Porsche wins by showing its cars to customers who would fit the demographic of their customers.
DM's win in terms of coolness and convenience.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
So true.

This is just plain great. Delta is using a Luxury vehicle to make their High Value Clients feel important and priviledged. I love it! Keep it up, Delta.

If giving HVC's a warm fuzzy feeling were their goal, they wouldn't call them "gamers" and implement the T-72 rule... It's all business. No one should ever forget that.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
So true.

Really? You guys REALLY believe this is a DM benefit benefit?... wow. I need to get into marketing if it is this easy. I get picked up in a car whenever I fly J on Emirates but it has NOTHING to do with status. You are paying a massive premium and there is plenty of room in there for a car service.

I can 100% promise you this is NOT a DM benefit. It is a marketing coordination with Porsche USA and that is all it is.

Edit to add: Do they pick you up when you missed the upgrade to a non medallion on a full Y ticket or does the non medallion get the car.. You guys crack me up.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Geez, some posters are so sour on Delta they will criticize anything and everything!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
I guess the airlines are making money again. The unions are drooling over this one and I'm sure it will come up in their next round of negotiations.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Really? You guys REALLY believe this is a DM benefit benefit?... wow. I need to get into marketing if it is this easy. I get picked up in a car whenever I fly J on Emirates but it has NOTHING to do with status. You are paying a massive premium and there is plenty of room in there for a car service.

I can 100% promise you this is NOT a DM benefit. It is a marketing coordination with Porsche USA and that is all it is.

Edit to add: Do they pick you up when you missed the upgrade to a non medallion on a full Y ticket or does the non medallion get the car.. You guys crack me up.
So what, if its a marketing plan? were you going to decline the offer if you were the OP??? We know its not a DM-wide benefit, but it could be a test program/ customer survey that Porsche has going on. Nissan does similar in LA & SF area airports for a particular airline, nothing new here.

OP - I am happy you got to ride in style & enjoy some VIP treatment, lotta jealous folks on here....

Delta + Porsche = #winning
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by dickinson
Geez, some posters are so sour on Delta they will criticize anything and everything!
"anything and everything" would be a bit hyperbolic.

But, I would suggest that some here are reacting to this from the standpoint that they would prefer to see DL management take the time and resources and management attention that is put into useless PR gestures (such as described in this thread) and devote that time, resources, and management attention to solving any of the myriad, recurrent problems that are described in this forum.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
I can't believe that no one has mentioned the real reason this is happenning -- Porsche is moving its operations to right next to ATL. From ABC News/AP on May 12, 2011:

"Porsche Cars North America said Thursday it plans to consolidate several of its U.S. operations at a new $100 million complex being planned in the Atlanta area, where it already has headquarters.

The German luxury automaker said the complex, to be built near the new International Terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, will include a road course allowing potential customers to take luxury cars for a spin.

Other U.S. operations moving to Atlanta include Porsche Financial Services Inc. and Porsche Business Services Inc., both currently located in Lisle, Ill. A now-shuttered Ford Motor Co. plant sits there now."

DM = Potential Customers

Full story at: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...2#.TrKVRrL4VI4
I would doubt your bolded parts. I don't think level of status is a good indication of ability to afford a $100k Porsche, or necessarily their target market. A huge number of DM's are employee's with travel paid by their employers, so DL spend and income wouldn't go hand in hand. If they were targeting paid F customers, possibly. Otherwise I believe it's just a random promotion and because of the limited number of cars, DL is choosing random DM's to enjoy the promotion.

On a side note: Nice car. I just hate 4 door 4 seaters. For a really beautiful one though, check out the Aston Martin Rapide.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sxf24
Picking someone up in a 300 would be insulting. You mind as well tell them to take their business to another airline.
Admittedly, the last generation 300's interior was cheap (but still more comfortable than, say, a seat in coach). Have you been inside the 2011+ model? It's dramatically improved.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:08 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I realize this is for ATL terminating flyers, but I wonder if they restrict it to those who are (apparently) ATL-based flyers. Otherwise, I don't have my car parked at the airport. Are they bringing me to MARTA if I wish? (I once took Greyhound to NYC... and then flew Concorde to CDG.. and then got on the RER to Paris --- not a combo that many likely duplicated)

Even those who are ATL-based will often go to the taxi queue or something on arrival. So I wonder what the menu of destination options includes.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Wink

The OP had good luck this time, but it had to be a mistake by Delta.

Isn't the Porsche reserved for Kryptonium Medallion only?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:15 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
PS - I wonder if they are screening to select only those w/o checked luggage to pick up? Also, what happens when I am brought to a car but it turns out I'd been planning to meet companions in the SC arriving on a different flight?

I'm sure we'll get plenty of details from an official source based on Canarsie's teaser.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.