Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

You might be a Kettle with Medallion Status if

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You might be a Kettle with Medallion Status if

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM | 1 Million Miler
I understand what a "kettle" is, but why are they called kettles?

I always show up 5 minutes before boarding, but I always stand way way in the back until my zone is called. Today when I ran late, there were about 5-8 people left who were boarding, I said to myself "I could be a brat and just stand in the SP line", but I just stood right behind the last pack.

I also laugh when I see the plastic tags, because I try my very best to be as modest as possible. I just give my tags to my kids and they wear them on their luggage when they travel =D They are 9k miles from FO status, I told them that if I can find 2 good MRs to the West Coast, we're doing it because it would be neat to see 2 tweens with FO status =D
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by mfong
I understand what a "kettle" is, but why are they called kettles?

I always show up 5 minutes before boarding, but I always stand way way in the back until my zone is called. Today when I ran late, there were about 5-8 people left who were boarding, I said to myself "I could be a brat and just stand in the SP line", but I just stood right behind the last pack.

I also laugh when I see the plastic tags, because I try my very best to be as modest as possible. I just give my tags to my kids and they wear them on their luggage when they travel =D They are 9k miles from FO status, I told them that if I can find 2 good MRs to the West Coast, we're doing it because it would be neat to see 2 tweens with FO status =D
Using the SP line does not make you a brat...

Passing others in the SP line does!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by PepeBorja

If you are in first class and bring fast food on board then you might be a Kettle with Medallion Status.
I don't think I'm a kettle, and I have Medallion status, but I totally do this, even when my upgrade cleared at the first window, when I can get ChikFilA in Atlanta (YUM).
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
- You still refer to it as the "Breezeway Lane".

- You're angry you missed the upgrade on the 8 AM weekday ATL-RDU flight

- You ask for a ticket jacket at check in.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Using the SP line does not make you a brat...

Passing others in the SP line does!
Brat is a much nicer word than what I call those who do that... (hint it sounds similar)
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by dickinson
Short for Ma, Pa and all the little Kettles. Used to describe inexperienced, infrequent travelers and their antics. Named after some old movies about the misadventures of some rather unsophisticated folks. I'm sure Wikipedia has an entry for Ma and Pa Kettle.
Man.. I'd always heard the term, but never knew where it came from. Thanks for the explanation.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
If you have ever said "I'll never fly this $#^%*^# airline again!" to a GA...

Originally Posted by mfong
...it would be neat to see 2 tweens with FO status =D
Mine got it and once they got the taste of a free UG they were impossible...
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
Rumor is that DL will offer Kettle Medallion which will be above Diamond status.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Brat is a much nicer word than what I call those who do that... (hint it sounds similar)
OK Vuelos - here's the drill. The GA announces FC boarding. Three people at the head of the SP line board - a throng of 10 people just stand there waiting for Zone 1 to be called. I have seat 1A and it ain't a CRJ200. You want me to wait?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Originally Posted by Bicostal
OK Vuelos - here's the drill. The GA announces FC boarding. Three people at the head of the SP line board - a throng of 10 people just stand there waiting for Zone 1 to be called. I have seat 1A and it ain't a CRJ200. You want me to wait?
I think the poster is referring to those in the same zone, be it FC of Z1 who feel they are more important than those in the same zone and push their way to the front of the line.

I actually had a Non-Rev and his sons do this to me recently. FC was called, we lined up and then the GA put us on hold for a couple of minutes. This guy comes crashing through the line to get to the front saying he is in FC. When I told him they weren't boarding yet, he gives me this look, makes a rude comment and then gripes because his teenage sons are 4 people behind him in line (and they are sitting in the back of the bus). Really chapped my cheeks, so to speak.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Wouldn't it be great to have a shirt and hat with the word "Kettle" embroidered on them? Maybe a future offering of FlyerTalk Marketplace?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dickinson
Wouldn't it be great to have a shirt and hat with the word "Kettle" embroidered on them? Maybe a future offering of FlyerTalk Marketplace?
"Diamond Kettle" to go along with the Hat!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hertz President's Circle, Uber Platinum
you should ask for ticket jackets

Originally Posted by CMK10
- You ask for a ticket jacket at check in.
when I don't print my boarding pass from home I always ask for a ticket jacket. I know they don't have any, but I ask anyway. If everyone asks maybe they will bring these back. I like them, they are convenient for keeping all my travel paperwork together.

United still has them, Delta should follow suit.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by BeachBum770
I think the poster is referring to those in the same zone, be it FC of Z1 who feel they are more important than those in the same zone and push their way to the front of the line.
Sounds like you have flown with Bicostal
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
If I were in 1A, I would be herder for the day. (that's what I call the one who starts the SP lineup for position)

That is one of the nicer names I use....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.