Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

You might be a Kettle with Medallion Status if

You might be a Kettle with Medallion Status if

Old Jun 22, 11, 4:39 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: DL DM | 1 Million Miler
Posts: 144
I understand what a "kettle" is, but why are they called kettles?

I always show up 5 minutes before boarding, but I always stand way way in the back until my zone is called. Today when I ran late, there were about 5-8 people left who were boarding, I said to myself "I could be a brat and just stand in the SP line", but I just stood right behind the last pack.

I also laugh when I see the plastic tags, because I try my very best to be as modest as possible. I just give my tags to my kids and they wear them on their luggage when they travel =D They are 9k miles from FO status, I told them that if I can find 2 good MRs to the West Coast, we're doing it because it would be neat to see 2 tweens with FO status =D
mfong is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:42 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MCO
Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Posts: 8,690
Originally Posted by mfong View Post
I understand what a "kettle" is, but why are they called kettles?

I always show up 5 minutes before boarding, but I always stand way way in the back until my zone is called. Today when I ran late, there were about 5-8 people left who were boarding, I said to myself "I could be a brat and just stand in the SP line", but I just stood right behind the last pack.

I also laugh when I see the plastic tags, because I try my very best to be as modest as possible. I just give my tags to my kids and they wear them on their luggage when they travel =D They are 9k miles from FO status, I told them that if I can find 2 good MRs to the West Coast, we're doing it because it would be neat to see 2 tweens with FO status =D
Using the SP line does not make you a brat...

Passing others in the SP line does!
Crazyhotelguy is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:42 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by PepeBorja View Post

If you are in first class and bring fast food on board then you might be a Kettle with Medallion Status.
I don't think I'm a kettle, and I have Medallion status, but I totally do this, even when my upgrade cleared at the first window, when I can get ChikFilA in Atlanta (YUM).
Lefleur is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:43 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 31,241
- You still refer to it as the "Breezeway Lane".

- You're angry you missed the upgrade on the 8 AM weekday ATL-RDU flight

- You ask for a ticket jacket at check in.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:45 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Likely being followed...
Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Posts: 5,240
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy View Post
Using the SP line does not make you a brat...

Passing others in the SP line does!
Brat is a much nicer word than what I call those who do that... (hint it sounds similar)
Vuelos is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:49 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TPA & ATL
Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Posts: 1,237
Originally Posted by dickinson View Post
Short for Ma, Pa and all the little Kettles. Used to describe inexperienced, infrequent travelers and their antics. Named after some old movies about the misadventures of some rather unsophisticated folks. I'm sure Wikipedia has an entry for Ma and Pa Kettle.
Man.. I'd always heard the term, but never knew where it came from. Thanks for the explanation.
localady is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:51 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: RDU
Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Posts: 1,540
If you have ever said "I'll never fly this $#^%*^# airline again!" to a GA...

Originally Posted by mfong View Post
...it would be neat to see 2 tweens with FO status =D
Mine got it and once they got the taste of a free UG they were impossible...
bwhite is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:55 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: USA
Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
Posts: 2,185
Rumor is that DL will offer Kettle Medallion which will be above Diamond status.
BondAir007 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:55 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 3,103
Originally Posted by Vuelos View Post
Brat is a much nicer word than what I call those who do that... (hint it sounds similar)
OK Vuelos - here's the drill. The GA announces FC boarding. Three people at the head of the SP line board - a throng of 10 people just stand there waiting for Zone 1 to be called. I have seat 1A and it ain't a CRJ200. You want me to wait?
Bicostal is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 5:06 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California, USA
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
Posts: 474
Originally Posted by Vuelos View Post
Brat is a much nicer word than what I call those who do that... (hint it sounds similar)
Originally Posted by Bicostal View Post
OK Vuelos - here's the drill. The GA announces FC boarding. Three people at the head of the SP line board - a throng of 10 people just stand there waiting for Zone 1 to be called. I have seat 1A and it ain't a CRJ200. You want me to wait?
I think the poster is referring to those in the same zone, be it FC of Z1 who feel they are more important than those in the same zone and push their way to the front of the line.

I actually had a Non-Rev and his sons do this to me recently. FC was called, we lined up and then the GA put us on hold for a couple of minutes. This guy comes crashing through the line to get to the front saying he is in FC. When I told him they weren't boarding yet, he gives me this look, makes a rude comment and then gripes because his teenage sons are 4 people behind him in line (and they are sitting in the back of the bus). Really chapped my cheeks, so to speak.
BeachBum770 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 5:18 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,612
Wouldn't it be great to have a shirt and hat with the word "Kettle" embroidered on them? Maybe a future offering of FlyerTalk Marketplace?
dickinson is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 5:26 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 3,103
Originally Posted by dickinson View Post
Wouldn't it be great to have a shirt and hat with the word "Kettle" embroidered on them? Maybe a future offering of FlyerTalk Marketplace?
"Diamond Kettle" to go along with the Hat!
Bicostal is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 5:31 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LAS
Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hertz President's Circle, Uber Platinum
Posts: 110
you should ask for ticket jackets

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
- You ask for a ticket jacket at check in.
when I don't print my boarding pass from home I always ask for a ticket jacket. I know they don't have any, but I ask anyway. If everyone asks maybe they will bring these back. I like them, they are convenient for keeping all my travel paperwork together.

United still has them, Delta should follow suit.
RobH is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 5:35 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Likely being followed...
Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Posts: 5,240
Originally Posted by Bicostal View Post
OK Vuelos - here's the drill. The GA announces FC boarding. Three people at the head of the SP line board - a throng of 10 people just stand there waiting for Zone 1 to be called. I have seat 1A and it ain't a CRJ200. You want me to wait?
Originally Posted by BeachBum770 View Post
I think the poster is referring to those in the same zone, be it FC of Z1 who feel they are more important than those in the same zone and push their way to the front of the line.
Sounds like you have flown with Bicostal
Vuelos is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 6:19 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MCO
Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Posts: 8,690
Originally Posted by Bicostal View Post
OK Vuelos - here's the drill. The GA announces FC boarding. Three people at the head of the SP line board - a throng of 10 people just stand there waiting for Zone 1 to be called. I have seat 1A and it ain't a CRJ200. You want me to wait?
If I were in 1A, I would be herder for the day. (that's what I call the one who starts the SP lineup for position)

That is one of the nicer names I use....
Crazyhotelguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: