Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by bartmas777
I am not one to usually complain, but I am kind of ticked. One of the reasons I fly DL is because of the domestic upgrades, even on award tickets. I understand that in no way do I deserve any upgrade unless I pay for it.

That being said... I was #3 for 7 seats this morning on DL55 (ATL-IAH). I get to the gate, boom, upgraded. My first time upgraded on an award tix. They board FC and due to an equip swap seats 1A/B do not exist (MD88). I am in 4D. So the fiasco begins. The GA comes down and gets BPs for 1A and 1B. Next thing I know, what appears to be a deadheading FA, stops and asks me for my BP. I hand it over. She comes back and forth several times asking for BPs from other passengers. On her way to her seat (suitcase in tow) she stops and tells me to move back to coach, gives me a seat #, and hands me back my BP. Umm, ok. Even if there are only 5 seats available and I was #3, why am I getting un-upgraded?

Allow me to be a DYKWIA for 1 second in my life... over 150K BIS miles this year, #3 on the list and I get picked to move back with the kettles. Come on. OK I am done and feel a little better and I am moving on.
Capitulation is the word.... you capitulated way too easy. Did you put up any kind of fight? I would have asked to see the GA and a new boarding pass.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Why did you agree to move without a new reprinted boarding pass?
Did you bring up that you were #3 on the list? I'm sure there were some PM or GM that got upgraded after you, and they should've been downgraded first.

Send a complaint... obviously proper procedure was not followed, and I'd bet that your account activity will show that you were upgraded even though you sat in the back with your ticket not being updated.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: DL-PM/SC; UA-1K; HH Diamond
I should have fought them, but we were already late and I have a meeting to get to in Houston. I didn't feel like dropping the DYKWIA was worth it for an hour and a half flight. Had it been a west coast trip I probably would have said something.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by bartmas777
I should have fought them, but we were already late and I have a meeting to get to in Houston. I didn't feel like dropping the DYKWIA was worth it for an hour and a half flight. Had it been a west coast trip I probably would have said something.
Call the number here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14298554-post40.html

I hope the FA in question did not occupy your seat.

David
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Sounds like Shena, and a bad one... I wouldn't have given away my seat, and instead taken my seat in FC. If anyone asked me to move, I'd have asked to see his/her boarding pass showing that I was indeed in their seat.

Not being upgraded is not a big deal (as the OP said it himself), but being made to seat in Y so an FA can seat up front, not cool!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Definitely do not give away your seat.

If the GA or FA asks for your boarding pass, ask why. You can show it without physically letting go of it.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
867-5309

Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
YGPM!

Last edited by DLroads; Jul 19, 2011 at 8:58 am
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:26 pm

I don't think it's DYKWIA to ask for an explanation and take it to another GA or FA.

DYKWIA is (to me) rudely demanding things you aren't actually supposed to get. What you've got there is a potential taking away of something you are entitled to.

If they had an explanation, I might have let it go, but I definitely would've said something to a couple more people.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
My usual response to these threads, at least to myself, is:

"Hell hath no fury like a DL elite denied an upgrade."

In this case, however, it rather stinks that the OP was sent to the back so the FA could get the F seat. The FA did get the F seat, right?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
My usual response to these threads, at least to myself, is:

"Hell hath no fury like a DL elite denied an upgrade."

In this case, however, it rather stinks that the OP was sent to the back so the FA could get the F seat. The FA did get the F seat, right?
Nobody is entitled to an upgrade, but once you do get an upgrade you are entitled to that F seat, period.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
My question as well, it's not clear in the OPs description. My guess is the FA did not take the seat. There was a long upgrade list on that flight so it doesn't appear as though it would have come down to either the OP or the FA taking the last F seat when the other 2 seats were lost due to the equipment swap.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Heh. ATL-IAH has been a problem route for me...

I once even had "Complimentary Upgrade" HAND WRITTEN on my BP by the GA... Let's just say that I didn't accept the answer about why I had been downgraded and rode in F.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by avidflyer
:-:867-5309:-:
Hold on, just one minute -- Jenny=Sheena?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Nobody is entitled to an upgrade, but once you do get an upgrade you are entitled to that F seat, period.
Uh, not quite. There can be lots of reasons why a pax received an UG, then lost it. Most common is equip swaps where an UG from seat 1 A/B or Rows 5/6 may be lost. I avoid the problem by selecting Row 3/4 since that covers about all changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.