Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 11:24 am
Suspended

Phone Camera

Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
Am sitting on DL 1046 ATL-GSO on a DC9. Was #1 on the upgrade list but was told first class had boarded full so I went ahead and borded. Walked onto the plane and there was a pilot in uniform sitting in 1D, not sure if he was delta or other. Do I have a legitimate gripe?
Hello Phone camera. Take a pix and send it to [email protected] and let them know we are watching.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
+2 on the Go Deacs....Class of '01...where did the last 10 years go??

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
The OP said the person was sitting in 1D which as was mentioned earlier was a GM who was upgraded so it wasn't a purchased FC ticket.
What if they purchased a higher fare than the OP? I know we like to call shena on suspicious moments/upgrades, but it is certainly possible they were legitimately in the seat....even if on an upgrade.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rwoman
+2 on the Go Deacs....Class of '01...where did the last 10 years go??

What if they purchased a higher fare than the OP? I know we like to call shena on suspicious moments/upgrades, but it is certainly possible they were legitimately in the seat....even if on an upgrade.
That certainly is a possibility and actually is what I am suggesting. A GM was in seat 1D and there was at least 1 GM sitting in the back. So there is a good chance the OP was one of the GMs sitting in Y. I don't think this was Shena at all. Had the GA upgraded the OP given the info that I can see, the scanner would have beeped and spit out the new BP for the OP.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:14 pm

Are you sure he was Delta? I've seen recently quite a few NetJets pilots who are medallion and fly in their uniform. Also met a 747 cargo pilot who was in uniform too (can't remember which airline).
Old May 24, 2011, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Wow...a lot of us Deacs here on this thread. I'll chime in for the Class of '08!

As for pilots being elite, a lot of them are, especially for places like NetJets and the cargo carriers. A friend of mine's husband is a pilot for a major cargo carrier and they will fly him where he needs to be, and if it's international, they will do so in Paid J. A lot of times they are going straight to/from work so they don't bother changing.

Also, DL employees can buy tickets themselves and fly. There is a FTer that is a FA that is a Platinum and he has mentioned that he pays for his tickets to commute to work (rather than risk it as a non-rev) and he gets upgraded as a normal DL Plat would be.
Old May 24, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
Glad to see all the Deacs on here!

Also glad to hear that I probably didn't get screwed. Appears it was probably a GM pilot (non-Delta potentially) that cleared at window, because there were two battlefield upgrades and he was not one of them (I was third on the upgrade list at the gate). I was not booked on the flight until this morning, so a battlefield upgrade was my only chance, and I was on a T fare so he probably would have deserved it over me anyway.

Not a big deal anyway since it's a 45 minute flight and I managed to snag a battlefield upgrade on my COS-ATL leg despite the fact that they were offering P fares for ~550 dollars on a flight that was overbooked in coach!!!
Old May 24, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
Glad to see all the Deacs on here!

Also glad to hear that I probably didn't get screwed. Appears it was probably a GM pilot (non-Delta potentially) that cleared at window, because there were two battlefield upgrades and he was not one of them (I was third on the upgrade list at the gate). I was not booked on the flight until this morning, so a battlefield upgrade was my only chance, and I was on a T fare so he probably would have deserved it over me anyway.
Also very possible he was on a paid F fare. With GSO having the FedEx operation now, it's possible it was a dead-heading FedEx pilot and the contract with their pilots required a paid F/J seat, so possibly not even an upgrade but a paid F fare.

I did lose an upgrade (at least it was only MKE-MSP) to a fellow DM that was a FedEx pilot...I made do in my Y seat for the 40 minutes
Old May 24, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mersk862
Also very possible he was on a paid F fare. With GSO having the FedEx operation now, it's possible it was a dead-heading FedEx pilot and the contract with their pilots required a paid F/J seat, so possibly not even an upgrade but a paid F fare.

I did lose an upgrade (at least it was only MKE-MSP) to a fellow DM that was a FedEx pilot...I made do in my Y seat for the 40 minutes
Being that it has been said the seat he was in was an upgraded GM, I don't know why people are still saying paid F?
Old May 24, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlad1101
Being that it has been said the seat he was in was an upgraded GM, I don't know why people are still saying paid F?
I don't see how anyone would know if he was an upgrade or not (unless they are a DL employee posting stuff from DeltaNet which would be a violation of the Delta Social Media policy and is a nono...). Even there, they might have to dig around to link everything together. The OP never mentioned that 1D was an upgrade, just that there was a pilot sitting in 1D.
Old May 24, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
It appears that the person upgraded into 1D was a GM.....sounds funny that there is a pilot sitting in the seat though, most pilots I know aren't Gold Medallions. You could tell the FA to look at the passenger manifest and see who is supposed to be in 1D....
Was it a Delta pilot ? I've met a couple of FedEx pilots who were Delta DM's. They fly on paid tickets trans pac and/or transcon weekly, (fly to Hong Kong, then ride back to Memphis ) and get upgraded as DM's.
Old May 24, 2011, 3:15 pm

It appears that the person upgraded into 1D was a GM.....sounds funny that there is a pilot sitting in the seat though, most pilots I know aren't Gold Medallions. You could tell the FA to look at the passenger manifest and see who is supposed to be in 1D....
I had a pilot the other day that was a GM. They are pilots that their company...think...NetJets..ExecutiveJet...etc...fl ys them to where they will pick up their jet and customers or deadhead home. Some are domestic...and some are international. They do fly FC/BE. Doubt it was Shena in this situation. (Making a note for tomorrow to check...)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: DL-PM/SC; UA-1K; HH Diamond
I'm calling Shena... what's the number?

I am not one to usually complain, but I am kind of ticked. One of the reasons I fly DL is because of the domestic upgrades, even on award tickets. I understand that in no way do I deserve any upgrade unless I pay for it.

That being said... I was #3 for 7 seats this morning on DL55 (ATL-IAH). I get to the gate, boom, upgraded. My first time upgraded on an award tix. They board FC and due to an equip swap seats 1A/B do not exist (MD88). I am in 4D. So the fiasco begins. The GA comes down and gets BPs for 1A and 1B. Next thing I know, what appears to be a deadheading FA, stops and asks me for my BP. I hand it over. She comes back and forth several times asking for BPs from other passengers. On her way to her seat (suitcase in tow) she stops and tells me to move back to coach, gives me a seat #, and hands me back my BP. Umm, ok. Even if there are only 5 seats available and I was #3, why am I getting un-upgraded?

Allow me to be a DYKWIA for 1 second in my life... over 150K BIS miles this year, #3 on the list and I get picked to move back with the kettles. Come on. OK I am done and feel a little better and I am moving on.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by bartmas777
I am not one to usually complain, but I am kind of ticked. One of the reasons I fly DL is because of the domestic upgrades, even on award tickets. I understand that in no way do I deserve any upgrade unless I pay for it.

That being said... I was #3 for 7 seats this morning on DL55 (ATL-IAH). I get to the gate, boom, upgraded. My first time upgraded on an award tix. They board FC and due to an equip swap seats 1A/B do not exist (MD88). I am in 4D. So the fiasco begins. The GA comes down and gets BPs for 1A and 1B. Next thing I know, what appears to be a deadheading FA, stops and asks me for my BP. I hand it over. She comes back and forth several times asking for BPs from other passengers. On her way to her seat (suitcase in tow) she stops and tells me to move back to coach, gives me a seat #, and hands me back my BP. Umm, ok. Even if there are only 5 seats available and I was #3, why am I getting un-upgraded?

Allow me to be a DYKWIA for 1 second in my life... over 150K BIS miles this year, #3 on the list and I get picked to move back with the kettles. Come on. OK I am done and feel a little better and I am moving on.
:-:867-5309:-:
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:30 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by bartmas777

Not sure that I would move without a newly printed BP with the new seat number...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: DL-PM/SC; UA-1K; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by avidflyer
:-:867-5309:-:
thanks for the laugh, I needed it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.