Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Ugh. There's O showing on the LAX-CDG flight I want (so I can do SAN-LAX-CDG-LHR instead of SAN-ATL-YUL-CDG-LHR), but no W for them to rebook me into before upgrading. PM desk said that the booking system refused the sale, since W is zeroed out. Agent seemed competent, so I'm inclined to believe this is the problem. I asked about having the SkyTeam desk call AF about overbooking W for 30 seconds to put me into it and then O, but the agent indicated she didn't have a number to call and at this time of night, they'd be handling AF calls anyway. I figure I'll call in the morning PDT when it's business hours in Paris to see if I can get any magic worked, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had experience or suggestions in the interim.
Old May 7, 2012, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They won't do it. Unfortunately, you need availabilities in both buckets.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
They won't do it. Unfortunately, you need availabilities in both buckets.
Right you are. Spent way too much time with agents experimenting this morning (90 minutes probably, including one call of 60 minutes) before just settling for some EF alerts for W.

Tonight, I saw O and W on the early LAX-CDG, so I started calling DL. First agent was working when my phone cut out. Second agent gave me some malarkey about married segment logic applying to AF O space for upgrades. (KL, sure, but AF, uh, no.) Third agent couldn't see the O or W. Finally, I said one more try and went asked for international manual reissue straight away. (Strangely, the morning agents sent me to that desk straight away. First excuse was that it had already been upgraded. Second excuse was that it was ticketed in GBP .) Jeremy at manual reissue was great. He pulled upgrades segment-by-segment, reissued the ticket, and then put me on hold while calling the "upgrade desk" to ensure that AF wouldn't pull any shenanigans. Jeremy earned a JWD for his great work and got everything done in less time than other agents had spent trying to figure out how to get started. Lesson learned: When changing a ticket that's been upgraded via SWU, just ask for International Manual Reissue straight away.

Do I wish that using SWUs were easier? Yes. However, I can't complain too much, as I've got a confirmed upgrade via SWU on a partner over 24 hours in advance. How many US carriers can offer that?
Old May 8, 2012, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Jeremy at manual reissue was great. He pulled upgrades segment-by-segment, reissued the ticket, and then put me on hold while calling the "upgrade desk" to ensure that AF wouldn't pull any shenanigans. Jeremy earned a JWD for his great work and got everything done in less time than other agents had spent trying to figure out how to get started.
Jeremy is the best! He was the agent I referred to in this post up thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18223154-post345.html

He earned a JWD certificate from me that time as well. I also sent a note to Delta via the online contact system, commending him and suggesting he provide training to other agents.

Susan
Old May 13, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
A380 Upgrades?

Has anyone successfully upgraded into the Biz Cabin on the A380?

Specifically I'm waiting on some JFK-CDG-JFK flights top open up in 'O'. Wasn't sure if they are more stingy with the A380 or JFK flights.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by milesandpoints

Specifically I'm waiting on some JFK-CDG-JFK flights top open up in 'O'. Wasn't sure if they are more stingy with the A380 or JFK flights.
A380 usually means the best O inventory you can find. I scored an upgrade W->O on YUL-CDG, but then swapped it out for LAX-CDG so that I didn't have to do SAN-ATL-YUL-CDG-LHR leaving SAN at 0645. (Instead did SAN-LAX-CDG-LHR leaving SAN at 1320.) JFK is probably the toughest O spot of the A380 destinations, in what I've noticed lately.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
A380 usually means the best O inventory you can find. I scored an upgrade W->O on YUL-CDG, but then swapped it out for LAX-CDG so that I didn't have to do SAN-ATL-YUL-CDG-LHR leaving SAN at 0645. (Instead did SAN-LAX-CDG-LHR leaving SAN at 1320.) JFK is probably the toughest O spot of the A380 destinations, in what I've noticed lately.
Thanks! - I found a JFK-CDG-LHR for $1700 RT in Premium Econ 'W' which I thought was pretty good. Would love to try out the A380. Thanks for the encouraging thoughts!
Old May 13, 2012, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by milesandpoints

It is tough, but I've seen a few days available here and there. Only way I was able to book into the A380 for August was by booking the A330 from Newark...which they subsequently cancelled a few days later hence they moved me to the A380 due similar departure time. Good luck.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
+1, esp if there is no O watch from 3 weeks in, AF does a lot better opening up than DL.

I've flown A380 3x with O UG from W/S, great plane to UG on! ^
Old May 14, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
+1, esp if there is no O watch from 3 weeks in, AF does a lot better opening up than DL.

I've flown A380 3x with O UG from W/S, great plane to UG on! ^
I must have been flying in the wrong weeks, because O only opened up on LAX-CDG on Sunday/Monday for a Wednesday flight last week. ATL-CDG was showing wide open in J (Z8 or Z9, with Z being the AF deeply discounted business bucket) and they never opened up O.
Old May 23, 2012, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
AF and KL do not do "intra-EU" upgrades for Elite members unless it's part of an upgrade (e.g. using miles or an SWU) of the TATL portion of the trip. The only time I have had it happen (on AF) was due to IROPS and the agent decided not to put me in a middle seat in the last row.

AFAIK, no European carrier does complimentary upgrades for their elites.
I purchased 4 premium economy tickets on AF, JFK-CDG-VCE. Successfully upgraded the TATL portion to Biz, SWUs for two tickets, Skymiles for the other two. The intra-European leg is still in premium economy.

Do I understand correctly that the two tickets where I used miles ARE upgradable on the intra-Euro leg? I realize the SWUs are TATL only. I suspect the agent didn't pursue an upgrade for just two tickets, assuming we wouldn't want to split up. But it would help with lounge access, and if I'm entitled to it, well, I would want it. Yes, I realize short-haul J product is nothing special, etc. I'm just curious whether I should pursue an upgrade to O on the short flight for two of us. Thanks - Jamie
Old May 23, 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I purchased 4 premium economy tickets on AF, JFK-CDG-VCE. Successfully upgraded the TATL portion to Biz, SWUs for two tickets, Skymiles for the other two. The intra-European leg is still in premium economy.

Do I understand correctly that the two tickets where I used miles ARE upgradable on the intra-Euro leg? I realize the SWUs are TATL only. I suspect the agent didn't pursue an upgrade for just two tickets, assuming we wouldn't want to split up. But it would help with lounge access, and if I'm entitled to it, well, I would want it. Yes, I realize short-haul J product is nothing special, etc. I'm just curious whether I should pursue an upgrade to O on the short flight for two of us. Thanks - Jamie
AFAIK, intra-Europe upgrades on SWU/miles TATL itineraries are only granted on KL if available, not AF. YMMV.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
AFAIK, intra-Europe upgrades on SWU/miles TATL itineraries are only granted on KL if available, not AF. YMMV.
Ok, thanks. Question on lounge access, and perhaps this is best moved to AF forum, but I'll give it a shot.

JFKCDG 4 pax in J, CDGVCE booked in premium economy. Round trip. One member of party is Diamond/CR member, one is Platinum, two have no status (and are children).

Lounge access for JFK departure is a given, but what about CDG layover #1 and VCE departure upon return. CDG layover #2 also a given due J on the A380.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Ok, thanks. Question on lounge access, and perhaps this is best moved to AF forum, but I'll give it a shot.

JFKCDG 4 pax in J, CDGVCE booked in premium economy. Round trip. One member of party is Diamond/CR member, one is Platinum, two have no status (and are children).

Lounge access for JFK departure is a given, but what about CDG layover #1 and VCE departure upon return. CDG layover #2 also a given due J on the A380.
1. All passengers, even those without status, are allowed into SkyTeam Lounges if they have flown in Biz Class internationally on the same day.

2. Any passenger who is Elite Plus is allowed into SkyTeam Lounges if he is flying internationally (eg: CDG-VCE) on that day.

3. Any passenger who is Elite Plus is allowed to bring one guest in with him.

In your case, you have two Elite Plus pax, so each can bring in one guest. I do not know, however, if there is a minimum age at AF for lounge entry.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:17 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)

SWU's are not TATL-only but applicable "per-direction" (One-way upgrade as stated in DL's T&C) and should also apply to the intra-EU segment on the same booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.