Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Ride down was a little bumpy, but there was almost no one at the center customer service center. DTW seems to be in normal ops mode.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
ATL has weather moving in too and there's a thread that CVG had a power outage earlier...
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USAF_Pride
Ride down was a little bumpy, but there was almost no one at the center customer service center. DTW seems to be in normal ops mode.
tell ya it take a lot to create issues at DTW
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by socrates
tell ya it take a lot to create issues at DTW
Just checked the Detroit News -- they're saying only a handful of DTW flights are impacted and all of them to/from Chicago.

Bob H
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Normal operations at dtw just left and it was just a bit choppy
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
My 640a MKE-MSP was just canceled for tomorrow morning.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Listening to liveatc.net ~ It sounds a little dicey at MSP this evening. Been listening for 10 minutes and have heard 5 Go-A-Rounds while attempting to land on runway 22 due to wind shear alerts/warnings.

Also starting to hear some flights diverting after attempting to land.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One of the local TV stations just reported that MSP is almost totally shut down, which is extremely rare. They also mentioned (again) the possibility of snow.

Minneapolis looks calm (what wind?) and dry, but there aren't a lot of people or cars out.

10pm update: temp down to 46 with windchill of 32 Fahrenheit = 0 Centigrade, with snow reported in the state. pressure is second lowest ever recorded in the state, about 28.6 inches of mercury. still nothing much happening downtown, especially compared to how the skies and wind looked earlier this evening.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Oct 26, 2010 at 9:21 pm
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
It is supposed to be like this tomorrow too. I am supposed to fly to MSP in the morning. I am expecting delays, if so I hope they call me before I have to get up at 4am
Just called the DL desk to check flight status out of MKE tomorrow since it is still very windy here. The agent said several early morning flights to/from MSP have already been canceled but nothing so far has been canceled MKE-DTW.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AA Gold, Marriott Silver, Hilton DIA, Avis First
MSP - GRB

I was on Flight 3406 MSP to GRB, and due to wind sheer, we ended up back at MSP... 2 1/2 hours later on the plane, and when I check the flight status, Delta.com said it was canceled. Flight Aware said we landed in GRB (someone correct me if I am wrong as I could be looking at the wrong info), so I am confused as I was on the flight and home sleeping in my own bed.... So the questions is??? Do I get 1000 Miles for the flight ( 2 Segments at 500 Miles).... I saw all of the state of Wisconsin today through the clouds!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:41 pm

My 10/27 6:35a MSN to SJC (via MSP) cancelled a bit ago, and it auto rebooked me for for Thurs ( a two stop 15 hour day) but that will not work at all. I am going to try to get out via ORD, so rebooked ORD > SJC via SLC. Have to get up at 1a to drive down to ORD to try to get that flight. I sure hope it goes!!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
I take it back 69 mile head wind landing into MKE -- pilots did an awesome job.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
After all my years of flying through MSP and wondering why runway 4/22 was used as nothing more than a taxiway I have finally figured out why...it's the "Runway of death" (can I trademark that? <g>).

Holy crap batman! I did SEA-MSP-LGA today and we left SEA on time but then circled NW of MSP for 50 minutes as the airport was down to one runway. We then do the longest base leg I have ever done for a runway and wind up far into Wisconsin before turning around. Turn around, slow down, and the map is reading a 79 mph head wind at 4,000 feet. Bumpy, bumpy, rolley, rolley - and you can hear puking in the back of the plane.

At about 5 miles out we do a go around as we got broadsided by a massive gust of wind that probably threw the plane off course by a signficant margin. Climb to 5,000 and we're back in the queue. This time we didn't go quite as far into Wisconsin before turning around. The pilot landed the plane safely on rwy 22 this time but not before living through that unbelievable bumpiness a second time. Clapping ensued.

Plane to LGA is 2 hours late but we take off and not more than 10 feet off the ground we are being tossed around like we're on a wooden roller coaster. Second plane had no AVOD so I don't know what the head winds were there.

I guess a day of firsts:
First time ever seeing Rwy 4/22 at MSP in use
First time ever seeing the wind sock pegged straight out with absolutely no flack in it for the five minutes I stared at it.

-RM
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I'm glad I don't fly back to MSP from LEX until Friday night...after a round of golf.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobH
Just checked the Detroit News -- they're saying only a handful of DTW flights are impacted and all of them to/from Chicago.

Bob H
that was my point...this didnt do much to the field ops...rarely does which is why I've always preferred to connect there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.