Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Then I will bring it back to my point....why are y'all here? Why don't you go over to the grass-is-greener UA? Read the posts on their thread. My oh my...it is a paradise in which to be right now.
I have. I had 6 longhaul J segments on AA last month. I was very happy and I was able to use my AA SWUs on fairly low fares. Consequently, I have some high-revenue travel next month that also went to AA, not DL.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
To A LOT of us on here, time is the value. I live in DTW. I can be nonstop almost anywhere I want to be. If you have time in your business to fly all over the U.S. to snag a UA flight from a (mostly-atrocious) UA hub, go for it. When I go, I usually HAVE to go. Time is worth money. DL treats me well. DL doesn't want low fares in its front cabin. After years of complaining on FT, it stays the same. You will see SWUs become more-liberal when the frequent flyer program becomes more-restrictive.
Dude, everyone is in exactly the same boat. Time is money. I and others have repeatedly said, if you're a hub/route captive it makes sense to fly DL. But if DTW was also a UA hub (and assuming you're a VFIF) and you were still flying DL, you would either be stupid or you would be misusing someone else's money.

You're SOL cause you're a DTW hub captive. There's no shame in that, but by making excuses and being a shill for DL, you're just prolonging your agony, delaying changes, and making everyone else worse off.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 5khours
Dude, everyone is in exactly the same boat. Time is money. I and others have repeatedly said, if you're a hub/route captive it makes sense to fly DL. But if DTW was also a UA hub (and assuming you're a VFIF) and you were still flying DL, you would either be stupid or you would be misusing someone else's money.

You're SOL cause you're a DTW hub captive. There's no shame in that, but by making excuses and being a shill for DL, you're just prolonging your agony, delaying changes, and making everyone else worse off.
Yet somehow, despite FT members being outraged at DL not discounting their premium services, it continues to work out for DL pretty well:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...132500450.html
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by k2
To say DL is leaving competition in the dust is a stretch. They have a long way home before the fleet is converted, and even at that point the product isn't that much better.

If I compare the best DL J experience (777, hopefully soon the 744) with the best UA J experience (CO 777) I give CO a slight edge. If I'm not mistaken there are more of these CO birds than DL's 777 fleet.
Its not a stretch. Compare cabins. I'll gladly pay more for the direct aisle access flat bed seat in a 1-2-1 config. Note that some of these airlines that boast flat beds are in a shameful 2-3-2 config with even some having the seats facing towards the back of the plane.

By October, all the 747's will have the conversion done, and by this summer, the 767 conversions will be rapidly going into and coming out of the shop.

With AA and UA upgrades on those ultra cheap fares, what are the bonus miles received by the FF, and what are the fees and mileage that one has to give up for the UG?

Did I read seatguru right? UA's new configuration on the T7 has 8 across in J? No thanks, not even for half of a DL Y,B,M fare would I buy that seat on UA.

UA's International F cabin is a 1 - 2- 1 config, which is on par with DL's J cabin. How much for a UA F seat?

Last edited by DL2SXM; Apr 3, 2012 at 7:20 pm
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Its not a stretch. Compare cabins. I'll gladly pay more for the direct aisle access flat bed seat in a 1-2-1 config. Note that some of these airlines that boast flat beds are in a shameful 2-3-2 config with even some having the seats facing towards the back of the plane.
Just got back from GRU on UA 772 J (old) 2x3x2, recliners. No avod, service was well below DL. If you're lucky, you mind end up on the newly configured 2x4x2 lie flats (by comparison, Y has 1 extra seat per row on 3x3x3).
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
On the other hand--

JFK-DTW-HND RT on a M fare for $4930 (!?!?) is, with all do respect, inappropriate for the route, timing and pricing. (Late june and early July RT, with the flights still offering plenty of sLUT fares, and BE near empty).
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLroads
On the other hand--

JFK-DTW-HND RT on a M fare for $4930 (!?!?) is, with all do respect, inappropriate for the route, timing and pricing. (Late june and early July RT, with the flights still offering plenty of sLUT fares, and BE near empty).
Oh absolutely, totally agree. That fare is ridiculous and I would never pay that. DL does have some M fares that are just plane (no pun intended) crazy.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbarreto
Just got back from GRU on UA 772 J (old) 2x3x2, recliners. No avod, service was well below DL. If you're lucky, you mind end up on the newly configured 2x4x2 lie flats (by comparison, Y has 1 extra seat per row on 3x3x3).
no avod on a UA 777 in J in the old config?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:54 pm

Why can't people get it through their heads that DL doesn't want low fares up front on international? I for one am glad. They have ruined domestic F by letting everyone with any status get up front for free.
I'll take the second point first. Complimentary Domestic upgrades didn't create the problems in Sky Miles or the F cabin. Giving out MQM like candy with various promotions did. You're from DTW, you remember NW. World Perks didn't have those problems. The reason was EQM was earned with BIS only. DL's FFP is basically a retelling of the children's book "The King, the Mice, and the Cheese".

To your first point, DL is a business. They will react to market demands. The UPG market is closed, hard to compare on a day to day basis. On paper it looks competitive, but in practice we know the program is very opaque. My observation is when the customers hit a tipping point DL reacts. We just haven't reached a tipping point yet.

I would also say no one is asking for low fares for the J-UPG fares. Just competitive Y/B/M. You're not going to get a bunch of riff-raff in J because the M fare was $1900 (vs a sub $1000 Y fare). You will get the riff-raff up front as from all the miles promos. I would contend that the integrity of J cabin is protected far better with upgrades versus awards.

Last edited by motytrah; Apr 3, 2012 at 9:01 pm
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
With AA and UA upgrades on those ultra cheap fares, what are the bonus miles received by the FF, and what are the fees and mileage that one has to give up for the UG?
AA: No bonus miles, but no fees to use a SWU and therefore no mileage lost. If one uses miles to upgrade rather than a SWU, the co-pay is $300 and the mileage is 25,000. However, the resourceful FlyerTalker obtains SWUs instead.

So, for AA vs DL, one can use a SWU w/no copay on both airline. No M+ bonus miles for AA but also no upgrades below M on DL at all. Winner: AA

If one uses miles, the copay for miles round trip makes AA $600 more expensive than DL for the upgrade. However, the minimum fare is likely to be thousands of dollars less. On AA, co-pay is waived for mileage upgrade from full fare economy (Y and B). Winner: AA

Finally, there's an added bonus on some routes for those who fly AA in paid J: use of SWUs or miles to upgrade into F. Winner: AA

Last edited by Spiff; Apr 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
On the other hand--

Yup, its 4700+ for BOS-xxx-ICN or 5200+ for BOS-xxx-NRT as well. Seriously DL? $5239 for the privilege of getting on the waitlist to hopefully use an SWU? I just looked and the I fare is $5997... so the SWU is "worth" a $758 discount over fully paid BE. Is that f'ed up or what?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL-DM
I am surprised that the discussion in this post is primarily centered on which domestic carrier offers the most premium product. Seems to me that DL/UA/AA all have the same mediocre product with different variations. Truly premium is offered by SQ for TPAC and LH for TATL. I have only taken a few J trips on DL/UA/AA but in my limited experience, none even come close to SQ or LH in hard or soft product, in the air or on the ground.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:16 pm
Suspended

On the other hand--

I'm seeing availability in may for jfk - dtw- hnd in J for $4,000.00 RT.

AA is offering JFK - HND for the same dates on a business special fare of $4180.00

according to seatguru, All AA T7's have now been configured with angled lie-flat Business class seats.

I'll take DL's flatbeds over AA's angled lie-flats any day of the week.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Yet somehow, despite FT members being outraged at DL not discounting their premium services, it continues to work out for DL pretty well:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...132500450.html
And specifically what does that report tell you about RPM or PRASM on premium international. Zip! Which is why I'm led to believe that DL has cornered the market on cognitively challenged pax or at least cognitively challenged pax who post meaningless comments on FT.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by spsguy
I am surprised that the discussion in this post is primarily centered on which domestic carrier offers the most premium product. Seems to me that DL/UA/AA all have the same mediocre product with different variations. Truly premium is offered by SQ for TPAC and LH for TATL. I have only taken a few J trips on DL/UA/AA but in my limited experience, none even come close to SQ or LH in hard or soft product, in the air or on the ground.
LH and their angled seats? Surely you jest. BA and LX would have to be rated higher in terms of hard product, and DL sends flat beds to FRA on a couple routes, so I'd put them over LH in terms of hard product on routes that are directly comparable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.