Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by k2
^^ Ding ding ding!!! There was a guy from AA, worried about the potential bankruptcy, who posted here a few weeks ago asking about Skymiles along exactly these lines. It didn't take him long to figure out this was not the program for him.

Now that you bring up that point, I am even MORE-THRILLED with DL's current policy. Who wants a bunch of kids running through BE on cheap upgrades?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
In my link from above, DL106 and DL140 are all still 767 seatmaps. Delta.com Flight Schedules also show these as 767s, with flatbed icons. If you book on delta.com, you also get to select seats from a 767 seatmap. On Expertflyer, aircraft type is listed as "76W'...Expedia.com shows aircraft being "76W" when you book, etc. Where are you seeing 752s and 752 seatmaps?
Nowhere now... But that cut and paste was from DL.dumb as posited below.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
It appears that DL.dumb is living up to its name here. The info that comes up during booking says 757-200, but the seat maps are the 76W. When you go to final price and click the flight number, it comes up as 76W for the equipment. I'm wondering if the equipment info doesn't default to 757-200 when the equipment type isn't know by the piece of code that's generating a full name for the flight selection screen.
I need to remember the moment that DL's crappy IT caused better things to happen then was being foretold.

I never clicked through to the final page, I almost booked a BRU flight and then re-thunk my plans when I saw the flight change to a 752.

So now we can get back on topic, it's only the non-converted 763s, 744s, and Airbii that have non premium business cabins compared to the competition out of JFK.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Now that you bring up that point, I am even MORE-THRILLED with DL's current policy. Who wants a bunch of kids running through BE on cheap upgrades?
Unfortunately, this pretty much already happens. Children and/or non-revs are as common in DL premium cabins as anyone else. Some are well behaved, some are not (waits for the poster to make the very overused comment "well some adults act worse than children"-sure, it happens). The non-rev party syndrome that seems to follow me around on premium cabin travel with DL is the main reason I despise flying premium cabins on US carriers. If your going to keep the M fares rising, if your going to keep touting how "special" and "privileged" the BE customer is, you need to mean that across the board.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by k2
^^ Ding ding ding!!! There was a guy from AA, worried about the potential bankruptcy, who posted here a few weeks ago asking about Skymiles along exactly these lines. It didn't take him long to figure out this was not the program for him.
And who wants a bunch of self-righteous jerks? (Not saying you are; i don't know you.) As it is, the $2k J fare sales don't keep the kids out (which are often better behaved than many adults), so I think you may be living in some fantasy world.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:15 am
k2

I think you're way out on a limb here. The quality of the DL BE experience, in terms of the people around me in the cabin, is no better and no worse than the others.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by k2
I think you're way out on a limb here. The quality of the DL BE experience, in terms of the people around me in the cabin, is no better and no worse than the others.
I think a few empty seats up there makes a better experience than a sold-out front cabin. Now if DL can sell it out, good for them. Why make the problem worse though by upgrading everybody? If I am paying $6K for a J class ticket, how would I feel finding out the "elite" member next to me paid <$2K. As I am elite as well, I would likely never buy the $6K ticket again.

Moreover, I feel you would see the quality of BE decline rapidly. Look at domestic F. Can you imagine flying to NRT with a salad or Michelle Bernstein chicken creation as the option? I know many of you are fixated on being "up front". Some of us actually care about the product being offered. BE is precariously close to the edge for soft product already.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:01 am
k2

I think a few empty seats up there makes a better experience than a sold-out front cabin. Now if DL can sell it out, good for them. Why make the problem worse though by upgrading everybody? If I am paying $6K for a J class ticket, how would I feel finding out the "elite" member next to me paid <$2K. As I am elite as well, I would likely never buy the $6K ticket again.

Moreover, I feel you would see the quality of BE decline rapidly. Look at domestic F. Can you imagine flying to NRT with a salad or Michelle Bernstein chicken creation as the option? I know many of you are fixated on being "up front". Some of us actually care about the product being offered. BE is precariously close to the edge for soft product already.
I hear what you're saying, and believe me I care about the product. I'm not sure how often you fly BE, I do it a lot, and it's really not that special (certainly no more special than competitors). The cabins typically are full or close to full. Instead of elites on cheap fares they are filling empty seats with DL employees. What's the difference? I expect both populations to be well behaved, and usually they are.

BTW, Michelle Bernstein chicken is the option to NRT (I do that flight about once every 2 months).
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
You really should consider not using public transportation.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai
You really should consider not using public transportation.
Why? Because I expect that when I pay $4K, $6K, or more for a premium cabin, I want a premium environment?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Why? Because I expect that when I pay $4K, $6K, or more for a premium cabin, I want a premium environment?
On a US carrier? Not likely.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by k2
I hear what you're saying, and believe me I care about the product. I'm not sure how often you fly BE, I do it a lot, and it's really not that special (certainly no more special than competitors). The cabins typically are full or close to full. Instead of elites on cheap fares they are filling empty seats with DL employees. What's the difference? I expect both populations to be well behaved, and usually they are.

BTW, Michelle Bernstein chicken is the option to NRT (I do that flight about once every 2 months).
I've been very lucky that most of my BE experiences have been about 70% occupied. I wish DL would tighten it up even more and make it closer to KE's Business product.

LOL...Bernstein's rubber chicken and tin of sauce - CLASSY! Look out, next it will be a wrap or salad.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:07 pm

Finally decided to leave DM for someone else. Any suggestions for primarily US West Coast-Asia and Intra Asia? UA 1K?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Definitely try UAL first as they will status match you through PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:51 pm

No First seat available from Hawaii

Tried to get a 75,000 mile First seat to LAX. There are NONE available for the next six months. You have to pay extra miles 136,000 to get a seat. And yet I looked at the current day, and Delta has 4 flights from HNL to LAX and there were a total of 38 seats in First NOT assigned, and one of those flights was departing in 2 hours. For some reason, Delta is not making available the 75,000 mile seat available. Agent could not explain reason, and suggested I email Delta. I am sure that would get a response.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
This is just more fallout of the Delta/AmEx campaign. Gone are the days of 25k/40k coach/first award tickets. I haven't seen a FC award ticket under 80k miles in months, and most are 100k, yes. They flooded the masses with hundreds of thousands of "frequent flyer" miles. I can't even imagine how many free tickets they gave away to people who have absolutely no loyalty to Delta but just answered an ad for whatever AmEx card.

Sad day for the REAL frequent flyers.

Originally Posted by tada
Tried to get a 75,000 mile First seat to LAX. There are NONE available for the next six months. You have to pay extra miles 136,000 to get a seat. And yet I looked at the current day, and Delta has 4 flights from HNL to LAX and there were a total of 38 seats in First NOT assigned, and one of those flights was departing in 2 hours. For some reason, Delta is not making available the 75,000 mile seat available. Agent could not explain reason, and suggested I email Delta. I am sure that would get a response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.