Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 5khours
1. UL has has flat beds in J for ages. DL is still way behind in deploying flat beds and they won't be done for another 2 years. On average your J seat on DL is going to be a lot worse than UA.

2. You must have fallen down a rabbit hole if you believe DL J is better than UA F. That statement has less credibility than anything I've ever seen posted on FT.

3. I do 15 RT TPACs a year on UA. Half in J and half in F. Average cost is about $2k per RT.

4. Unless you are a hub/route captive, the only possible reasons why any VFIF would fly DL are: your spouse works there and you get free tickets, your employer forces you to fly DL, or you have an IQ way below 70.

This is so obvious and has been for so long, I can't believe it's still a subject for discussion.
Seriously, you fly 15 TPAC's a year in J/F and you are not UA GS? IMO, seems that is more than enough to qualify you for GS but I guess YMMV.

I am not particularly thin skinned but I do resent extremely rude comments suggesting that anyone who disagrees with you has an IQ equivalent of moron or idiot. There are other reasons why one would fly DL, including route preferences, scheduling, availability of SWU inventory, etc.

I respect the fact that you prefer UA. Is it really so difficult for you to respect the fact that someone may not? For example, I nearly always fly alone so I prefer the 1-2-1 seating. Works for me, not for you. Okay?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:02 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by mbarreto
I guess it's REALLY been a while. DL 764 J cabin (as well as reconfigured 763 and 747s) > UA 772 F (unless ur lucky to get one of those reconfigured 772s), and > (by a huge margin) to UA>J.

If you compare to CO new J, then it's not that different, but the fact that DL offers direct aisle access in any seat is a winner for me (and I assume most other business travellers).

I flew last week on UAs new J class, and on the 772 it's 2x4x2 seating, whereas Y is 3x3x3. Just by looking at these numbers you can see that it's not that great of a product.

The fact that DL has direct aisle seat on the 777, 764 and on all newly configured 747 and 763 (and in a few years in the whole Intl fleet AFAIK), makes DL the clear winner for me. Paying $7k and being stuck in a middle seat on a 10hr flight for me is unnaceptable.
Sorry, I meant the 763.

If you're paying $7k on UA or AA and can't manage to score an upgrade to F through your own status/miles/SWUs or trade for them, then something's amiss.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Sorry, I meant the 763.

If you're paying $7k on UA or AA and can't manage to score an upgrade to F through your own status/miles/SWUs or trade for them, then something's amiss.
Oh, then my bad, irt the 763 I'm with you 100%. Throw in the Intl 752 in there as well

You know, I can't remember ever being on a premium cabin on AA. In fact, I think the last time I've flown them must've been in the 90s.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Seriously, you fly 15 TPAC's a year in J/F and you are not UA GS? IMO, seems that is more than enough to qualify you for GS but I guess YMMV.

I am not particularly thin skinned but I do resent extremely rude comments suggesting that anyone who disagrees with you has an IQ equivalent of moron or idiot. There are other reasons why one would fly DL, including route preferences, scheduling, availability of SWU inventory, etc.

I respect the fact that you prefer UA. Is it really so difficult for you to respect the fact that someone may not? For example, I nearly always fly alone so I prefer the 1-2-1 seating. Works for me, not for you. Okay?
You need a spend of $40k to $50k to make GS.

I very carefully caveated my comment on stupid passengers by limiting it to very frequent international flyers who were not route/hub captives. Sorry but IMHO, if you can get the same or better product for much less money, and you still fly DL, you are either stupid or you're being irresponsible with someone else's money which is worse.

Most of my travel is solo also, but pardon my French, WT* would someone spend $120k on DL where 2/3 of the J seats are still recliners or slides, when you can spend $30k on UA and almost always fly flat bed in J or F.

The comment on IQ stands.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Problem is DL goes give them away..to nonrevs. If you want an exclusive cabin, you have to mean that across the board.
Why is it that you,and others, seem to think that DL's premium cabin is only filled with nonrevs? What kind of inside information do you have to back that up with?

Sure,there are some routes certain times of the year where you will most likely find more Non revs then paying pax, but you make your statement seem like its a blanket statement.

As DL's product gets revamped, I would gladly pay more to fly on the upper deck of a 747 in a 1 - 1 config then that of UA's 2 - 2 747 config. I'm not the only one either as Delta's international long haul fleet, once complete, will leave the competition in the dust... more and more corporations will pay the extra $$$$ to have that flat bed, direct aisle acess.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by snowboard1219
Well don't let the door hit you on the way out... And thanks for the improved ug percentage
Thanks for what upgrade percentage increase? On the international flights that he's taking? LMFAO...
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
As DL's product gets revamped, I would gladly pay more to fly on the upper deck of a 747 in a 1 - 1 config then that of UA's 2 - 2 747 config. I'm not the only one either as Delta's international long haul fleet, once complete, will leave the competition in the dust... more and more corporations will pay the extra $$$$ to have that flat bed, direct aisle acess.
How come all you DL flyers have time machines that allow you make use of future enhancements. At UA we're stuck with flying what's currently available.

Also, would you (in the future) seriously spend $4k (M fare plus SWU) versus $1500 for the difference between the DL J seat and the UA J seat if it's coming out of your own pocket?

Last edited by 5khours; Apr 2, 2012 at 8:36 am
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:40 am
k2

Direct aisle access

While I do appreciate 1-2-1, I personally think this differentiator is way over-hyped. Newer shell flat beds found on most carriers make it much easier to cross over a neighbor without disturbing, or being disturbed. It's really not that big a deal. Now, if we're talking old style recliners like the 330/744 and 763s, then I'm with you.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:42 am

How come all you DL flyers have time machines that allow you make use of future enhancements. At UA we're stuck with flying what's currently available.

Also, would you (in the future) seriously spend $4k (M fare plus SWU) versus $1500 for the difference between the DL J seat and the UA J seat if it's coming out of your own pocket?
Not to hit the same nail again, but I've flown 8 Intl trips (16 segments) on premium cabins on UA since last August. To my recollection, only 4 segments were on reconfigured birds. Had 4 segments in F, 3 of them in the old one which is far below DL new J. Had the worst meal in my life in a premium cabin in one of those. Of the other 12 segments in J, 3 were lie flats, the others all recliners. The one I'm taking tonight was supposed to be lie flat, but they changed it 2 days ago. Got stuck in a middle seat some 3-4 times I think.

At least DL, when they advertise 764 or 777, only on very exceptional situations will it not be a lie flat. You know what you're getting when you book. The same can't be said for UA/CO.

Last edited by mbarreto; Apr 2, 2012 at 8:54 am Reason: Corrected #s.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by k2
While I do appreciate 1-2-1, I personally think this differentiator is way over-hyped. Newer shell flat beds found on most carriers make it much easier to cross over a neighbor without disturbing, or being disturbed. It's really not that big a deal. Now, if we're talking old style recliners like the 330/744 and 763s, then I'm with you.
If the seat doesn't have direct aisle access, but you can move to the aisle without stomping/waking up the person next to you, then I see your point. That's not the case with UAs new J, with the tiny arm-rests between the two middle seats. It has very little privacy.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

Your not comparing apples to apples.

Once you throw in the copay from UA, the miles you have to use and the lack of 1.5x the EQM's, is not as unbalanced as it seems. sure, its still slightly a better deal with UA but not as much as you make it out to be.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mbarreto
Not to hit the same nail again, but I've flown 8 Intl trips (16 segments) on premium cabins on UA since last August. To my recollection, only 4 segments were on reconfigured birds. Had 4 segments in F, 3 of them in the old one which is far below DL new J. Had the worst meal in my life in a premium cabin in one of those. Of the other 14 segments in J, 3 were lie flats, the others all recliners. The one I'm taking tonight was supposed to be lie flat, but they changed it 2 days ago. Got stuck in a middle seat some 3-4 times I think.

At least DL, when they advertise 764 or 777, only on very exceptional situations will it not be a lie flat. You know what you're getting when you book. The same can't be said for UA/CO.
I think you may be a little behind the curve on this (not a criticism) as the UA fleet is (I believe) at 88% Lie-flat J and 100% Lie-flat F now. I have yet to get a recliner on an international J flight. I believe the only place you will find them is SA routes.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by k2
+1. If I have a choice and prices are the same, I'll pick direct aisle access. But they're not, and it's not worth the high premium to me. YMMV.

I do love DL's 777, they're my favorite. But I much prefer UA's new J cabins (including their 777) to DL's 763, 747, and 330 J cabins today (not in the future).

And, although I think UA's 2-4-2 configuration in J was a mistake, I sat in one 4 weeks ago and had a surprisingly good sleep -- much better than I do on the sliders. Yes, your neighbors are close but lie flat is key for me.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Your not comparing apples to apples.

Once you throw in the copay from UA, the miles you have to use and the lack of 1.5x the EQM's, is not as unbalanced as it seems. sure, its still slightly a better deal with UA but not as much as you make it out to be.
There is no Co Pay for 1K and above with SWUs. We are comparing (I thought) DL SWUs and UA.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
And, although I think UA's 2-4-2 configuration in J was a mistake, I sat in one 4 weeks ago and had a surprisingly good sleep -- much better than I do on the sliders. Yes, your neighbors are close but lie flat is key for me.
And because of the "low" design it is very private when sleeping. You are sunk down several inches into the pod when reclined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.