Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL isn't looking to do intl. UG's, it's making a significant part of its profit from paid intl. premium travel. DL is in a position to do this while UA/AA, at the moment, aren't. Sounds snarky, but DL really doesn't want OP's upgradeable business that much.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Often1
DL isn't looking to do intl. UG's, it's making a significant part of its profit from paid intl. premium travel. DL is in a position to do this while UA/AA, at the moment, aren't. Sounds snarky, but DL really doesn't want OP's upgradeable business that much.
Rather, DL is content to upgrade their employees and oversell Y to (sometimes) fill up the J cabin. UA keeps ample inventory for paid J and then, as space permits, allows their elites and non-elites to buy up with cash/miles/SWUs so that the J cabins are filled, pleasing their customers.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by nwrep2009
Delta's unquestionably superior premium product (even compared to UA IFC) compared to UA-AA.
J over international F (even AA's or UA's product)? I don't think so.

Last edited by Sabai; Apr 2, 2012 at 5:12 am
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
UA fare can still be cheap because if you do the cheapest fare bucket, it could be 700 round trip. Add in the co-pay of 550 each way, the dollar value is well below 2000 round trip plus miles. If you can score 1K and get 6 UA SWU, you can essentially do 3 round trip in Business to EU at 1300-1500 USD each.
...and look at the UA J product. LOL. Starry-eyed people with no clue what business class should be...just entranced with the J on their boarding pass. Upgrade-class J at UA. Sure, cheaper, but definitely.....cheaper.

Thank you, Delta for protecting your product.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
...and look at the UA J product. LOL. Starry-eyed people with no clue what business class should be...just entranced with the J on their boarding pass. Upgrade-class J at UA. Sure, cheaper, but definitely.....cheaper.

So you're thanking DL for protecting their overpriced BE on the numerous old 763s that still fly premium routes? I'd rather fly on the UA J for 2k than a DL 763 recliner for 4k+
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
So you're thanking DL for protecting their overpriced BE on the numerous old 763s that still fly premium routes? I'd rather fly on the UA J for 2k than a DL 763 recliner for 4k+
Then give your money to UA. Why complain here? BE is being revamped, but it takes a while to get through the fleet. Have you been on UA J in the new 777 arrangement? AWFUL!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP is welcomed to enjoy his UA/LH flights and to look up the word troll as it is commonly used on internet BBs.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:48 pm

I've never understood the argument "I want J, but it is too expensive at DL...UA is cheaper". Seems like DL would look at such threads and chuckle. PREMIUM cabins shouldn't be given away.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I've never understood the argument "I want J, but it is too expensive at DL...UA is cheaper". Seems like DL would look at such threads and chuckle. PREMIUM cabins shouldn't be given away.
Problem is DL goes give them away..to nonrevs. If you want an exclusive cabin, you have to mean that across the board.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
1. UL has has flat beds in J for ages. DL is still way behind in deploying flat beds and they won't be done for another 2 years. On average your J seat on DL is going to be a lot worse than UA.

2. You must have fallen down a rabbit hole if you believe DL J is better than UA F. That statement has less credibility than anything I've ever seen posted on FT.

3. I do 15 RT TPACs a year on UA. Half in J and half in F. Average cost is about $2k per RT.

4. Unless you are a hub/route captive, the only possible reasons why any VFIF would fly DL are: your spouse works there and you get free tickets, your employer forces you to fly DL, or you have an IQ way below 70.

This is so obvious and has been for so long, I can't believe it's still a subject for discussion.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The OP is welcomed to enjoy his UA/LH flights and to look up the word troll as it is commonly used on internet BBs.

Originally Posted by 5khours
1. UL has has flat beds in J for ages. DL is still way behind in deploying flat beds and they won't be done for another 2 years. On average your J seat on DL is going to be a lot worse than UA.

2. You must have fallen down a rabbit hole if you believe DL J is better than UA F. That statement has less credibility than anything I've ever seen posted on FT.

3. I do 15 RT TPACs a year on UA. Half in J and half in F. Average cost is about $2k per RT.

4. Unless you are a hub/route captive, the only possible reasons why any VFIF would fly DL are: your spouse works there and you get free tickets, your employer forces you to fly DL, or you have an IQ way below 70.

This is so obvious and has been for so long, I can't believe it's still a subject for discussion.
+1

I only fly Business and First class. After the dust settled with NW/DL it was pretty clear that SkyMiles wasn't the program for the premium international traveler. I did a lot of CO/UA and AA. My credit Card Millage Program is Amex Membership Rewards.

I have no ill will about DL, but I'm not going to pay more on a fare for some deranged sense of loyalty to a program that isn't aligned for my goals (J TPAC and TATL).

I'll be flying my first DL TATL in long time next month (S fare). I look forward to the fine cuisine of Michelle Bernstein and will be sipping whisky content with the fact that I paid less than anyone on that flight who played the Y/B/M + PMU/Miles UPG game.

I personally think the reason DL doesn't feel the need to change the Y/B/M structure is because people buy the fares and practice is defended here on FT. I just can't think of any good reason why anyone would play that game or defend the practice.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm really growing tired of people comparing DL's Business class seats to United and AA's. There is no comparison. United's new business class is configured in a 2 - 4 - 2 configuration and AA's is in a 2 - 3 - 2 configuration. There should NEVER be middle seats in premium cabins. Now, compare that to Delta's 1 - 2 -1 seating configuration.

Also, stop beating the dead horse regarding the old style recliner seats. They are on their way out and this has been known for quite a while now. Delta's refurbished 767-300ER's have basically been completely gutted and put the competition to shame.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:15 am

+1

Doesn't this thread belong somewhere else?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nt-thread.html
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by nwrep2009
Correct, they don't need it. They are doing fine charging a premium over the US competition (UA/AA) due to Delta's unquestionably superior premium product (even compared to UA IFC) compared to UA-AA.
Huh? Are you sure about that?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Yeah, right. Just off one of those "PREMIUM" cabin flights on A330. 3 paying PAX, 11 NRSA on the outbound, 3 paying, 2 NRSA on the way back in the 2nd BE section (12 seats total there). Thanks, Delta, for "protecting" your "premium" product ... from paying customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.