Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive B/E Upgrade Complaint Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This would really give some FFs a huge incentive to reach higher status levels.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
It's a great idea (more upgradeable fares with higher status) but then Delta would need to stop handing out status to everyone. No more gifting of FO and GM, and do away with roll over. Then real Diamonds would stand a pretty decent chance of upgrades and it wouldn't diminish anything.

In terms of what airline always upgrades people, from the 9 or so Lufthansa flights I have been on, I'd say Lufthansa. I don't know their official policy, but whenever we've pushed back with empty seats in Business, they moved elites up from the back and filled up Business. Not sure if that's just a coincidence, or actual policy.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I tend to agree but I fly so often all I want is my meal and my seat (I like UA food better). The AVOD and video screen on UA are far better than DL though..I assume you will agree with that. I do not need to be pampered and to be honest I was expecting really surly FA's from what I read here but they have been pretty good so far. It is all about individual requirements and I fully respect yours for a more service orientated flight. For me given I spend in excess of $30k every year and am on airplanes every stinkin week of the year it is more about value and MY comfort. I actually prefer being left alone after meal service. A couple passes for drinks after that is fine by me.
This is why I prefer Delta. I don't use AVOD and rarely eat airline food. I'm here for a ride and rest. Delta's FA's do a great job of trying to make things comfortable and quiet if they know you're trying to sleep. I've heard on a number of occasions Delta FA's politely asking passengers if they could turn off their reading light for them when they notice they are watching movies and not reading, and they seem to actively try and keep things quiet during meal service on an overnight flight when I'm just trying to get some sleep.

I don't dislike United, I've flown them for years. I just like Deltas touch a bit more.......and I love connecting through DTW.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
While it would be great to have something like that where elites are open to using lower fare buckets for upgrades, I just don't see DL doing that any time soon or ever... unless they throw DM's a bone and let us upgrade from H or give some a couple 'special' SWUs that are usable from H.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Deadtail
This is why I prefer Delta. I don't use AVOD and rarely eat airline food. I'm here for a ride and rest. Delta's FA's do a great job of trying to make things comfortable and quiet if they know you're trying to sleep. I've heard on a number of occasions Delta FA's politely asking passengers if they could turn off their reading light for them when they notice they are watching movies and not reading, and they seem to actively try and keep things quiet during meal service on an overnight flight when I'm just trying to get some sleep.

I don't dislike United, I've flown them for years. I just like Deltas touch a bit more.......and I love connecting through DTW.
I wish the quiet environment were universally true on DL long haul
flights. Twice recently in TPAC BE, FAs talking loudly have disturbed me for long periods when I wanted to sleep. In the first case, saying something about it to one of the guilty parties and then the purser had no effect. In the second case, I didn't want to seem difficult so I refrained from complaining but I was annoyed.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is what inventory management does, except that it doesn't deal with status (which is irrelevant to the issue at hand). DL would prefer to sell all its BE seats at full price, but it can't. So, it sells some at a discount and makes them less flexible. But, there is a price breakpoint at which the brand is damaged and DL loses the full fare BE pax who won't pay the full fare if they can get the same thing or close to it for less.

I am certain that DL pays marketing people good money to research this and while it's a bit of an art, there is a lot of science too.

It's a given that everybody wants the best seat/service for the least money. But, DL (and others) are not about to make it easier or cheaper.

OPUPS are a different animal. They have nothing to do with a marketing strategy. It is simply easier and a whole lot cheaper fill all seats on an aircraft before paying either IDB or VDB comp.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by randidliyo
...but you still troll around the Delta board?
I'm hoping eventually they will 1) get rid of J. Robertson and get a decent FF program, 2) finish upgrading their international flights with lie flats, and 2) start communicating honestly with their customers. They have a decent network, and I'd love to go back if they fixed the problems. As it is, I have a hard time understanding why VFIF other than a hub or route captive would fly them.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
They could fix this pretty easily. All they need to do is use a sliding scale of UG fare eligibility by status. YBM for non elite. Add a class for FO, add a class for GM, add a class for PM add a class for DM. My guess is they would make a lot of flyers happy, not degrade the product, and take millions and millions of miles off the books. They would likely still have Non Rev space left as well.
We redeem over 250 billion skymiles a year. It's a good idea but Delta would probably need to take billions of miles off the books (delta values them a lot cheaper than we do) and make the upgrade fees stiffer before they'd consider it (or so I would guess).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by 5khours
I'm hoping eventually they will 1) get rid of J. Robertson and get a decent FF program, 2) finish upgrading their international flights with lie flats, and 2) start communicating honestly with their customers. They have a decent network, and I'd love to go back if they fixed the problems. As it is, I have a hard time understanding why VFIF other than a hub or route captive would fly them.
^^^
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:13 am

Smile Just had a great experience with SWUs

Back in November I was looking at a ticket to Palau (ROR) via NRT from ATL. Just by chance, I checked M-fares, and the M-fare was only about $800 more than the lowest economy fare (~$3,000 vs $2,200). Since I still had yet to claim my 2011 Platinum Choice Benefits, I bought a one-month Expertflyer account and check Z-fare availability. Z-fare was available on ATL-NRT, NRT-ROR, and ROR-NRT. I went online and chose SWUs as my 2011 Choice Benefits, and called DL and bought the ticket. I was put on the Z-Waitlist for the NRT-ATL leg, and confirmed the requirements around the airport standby option.

To my surprise yesterday I got an updated itinerary from DL. My upgrade confirmed for the NRT-ATL leg. Automatically with no input on my part.

I am looking forward to getting a good night's sleep on my overnight return from NRT.

My guess is what happened is another Z-fare changed their ticket off of this flight, and I was next in line, and was simply bumped up. Expertflyer showed no increase in Z-fare availability on the flight.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There was probably a waitlist of people, and when Z became available it was allocated to the waitlist so never actually appeared as available if you did a search. Thats somewhat common on the flights with more people waitlisting, especially ATL-NRT.

Enjoy the flat beds
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
This is what inventory management does, except that it doesn't deal with status (which is irrelevant to the issue at hand). DL would prefer to sell all its BE seats at full price, but it can't. So, it sells some at a discount and makes them less flexible. But, there is a price breakpoint at which the brand is damaged and DL loses the full fare BE pax who won't pay the full fare if they can get the same thing or close to it for less.

I am certain that DL pays marketing people good money to research this and while it's a bit of an art, there is a lot of science too.

It's a given that everybody wants the best seat/service for the least money. But, DL (and others) are not about to make it easier or cheaper.
It reminds me of Moneyball. Jeff R and co. are like the old scouts sitting around the table. They don't have a clue. Their thinking is totally wrong for two reasons.

1) DL/NW has traditionally made so much money on the premium TPAC fares, they are scared to death of buy-downs. Fact of the matter is that nearly all the premium TPAC fares are bought on the corporate nickel and no-one (I repeat no-one) is going to use their miles or their SWUs to save their company money. If the company allows business class, employees will fly it...period. They are going to save the miles and SWUs for personal/family trips.

2) DL is exclusively focused on maximizing profit per flight because they assume all travel is non-discretionary. Wrong. They should be focused on maximizing profit per customer. A lot of both personal and business travel is discretionary. People just won't fly if it's too expensive or too uncomfortable. Case in point, when DL gutted their FF program, I cut my air travel by 60% and only flew on the cheapest fares. After switching over to UA (who has a much better FF program), I now fly 4 times as much as I did my last year on DL and pay 30 to 40% more per mile.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
I'm hoping eventually they will 1) get rid of J. Robertson...
Why kill the messenger?

...As it is, I have a hard time understanding why VFIF other than a hub or route captive would fly them.
Well, I am with you, my wife is now burning my last SkyPesos, but aparently you are referring to a much smaller group. You need to add several qualifiers:

As it is, I have a hard time understanding why VFIF
  • Who is not using OPM to fly J
  • Who puts a high value on international upgrades
  • Who bothers to read the rules of his FF program
  • Who does purchase M+ for other resons.
other than a hub or route captive would fly them

In other words - This amounts to AvidFlyer , you, me and a few others (mainly PMNW elites) who already left the forum.

Happy Travels
DLP
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
Why kill the messenger?
I think he's the Head KoolAid Chef.

Well, I am with you, my wife is now burning my last SkyPesos, but aparently you are referring to a much smaller group. You need to add several qualifiers:

As it is, I have a hard time understanding why VFIF
  • Who is not using OPM to fly J
  • Who puts a high value on international upgrades
  • Who bothers to read the rules of his FF program
  • Who does purchase M+ for other resons.
other than a hub or route captive would fly them

In other words - This amounts to AvidFlyer , you, me and a few others (mainly PMNW elites) who already left the forum.
Happy Travels
DLP
OPM - But why DL when UA has a lot more lie flat, GS, the ability to UG into F, and the ability to actually use your miles at reasonable rates for personal travel.
Putting a high value of Int'l UGs - I.e. the subset of the flying population consisting of all sentient beings on Planet Earth.
Knowing the Rules - Yep. I guess this explains the doltish expressions predominating SC and front cabins of DL.
M+ - I could never figure who bought these? Probably people working for companies competing for the Corporate Darwin Award.

Apologies in advance to those offended and condolences to you Hub/Route Captives (Les Damnes de la Ciel).
Old Feb 24, 2012, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
We should change the name of this sticky to include something about info for using SWUs. There are at least 2 threads a day about someone with SWU problems/questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.