Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
HSBC (USA) Premier has eleven airline transfer partners, and two hotel chain partners. Cards issued in other countries may have different partners and transfer ratios

ONE WORLD
British Airways (Avios) 1:25:1
Iberia (Avios) 1:25:1
Qantas 1:1
Qatar Airways (Avios) 1.25:1

SKYTEAM
Flying Blue 1.25:1

STAR
Avianca 1.25:1
Eva Air 1.25:1
TAP Portugal 1:1
Turkish 1.25:1

INDEPENDENT
Aer Lingus (Avios) 1:25:1
Emirates 1:1

HOTELS
Accor 2:1
Wyndham 1.25:1
Print Wikipost

HSBC Premier World MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ken.yong
When will HSBC charge the second year annual fee (since the first year is waived)?
As a Premier Member I've never been charged an annual fee for the Premier World MC. Are you referring to the Premier card or a different one?
Old May 20, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ken.yong
When will HSBC charge the second year annual fee (since the first year is waived)?
Yes if you have the card with $400 AF.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Just received my UK card - how on earth do you sign up for iPass??
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by parklife
....iPass??
Where do you see an iPass benefit? I see LoungeKey and Boingo.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by mia
Where do you see an iPass benefit? I see LoungeKey and Boingo.
Included in my guide that came with my card. It is a UK card if that makes any difference. Just can't find any info on what you actually need to do!

Also shows in here https://www.hsbc.co.uk/content/dam/h...redit-card.pdf
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:30 am
mia

I was looking at the standard Premier Credit card, rather than the World Elite version. The standard card includes Boingo, but I see that we World Elite version replaces this with iPass. It sounds as if HSBC provides a code that will be entered in the iPass smartphone app:

With iPass gain secure access to millions of Wi-Fi networks at key business and travel venues in more than 120 countries. Just redeem your code, and download the iPass SmartConnect app on a compatible device.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by mia
I was looking at the standard Premier Credit card, rather than the World Elite version. The standard card includes Boingo, but I see that we World Elite version replaces this with iPass. It sounds as if HSBC provides a code that will be entered in the iPass smartphone app:
Just can't find the code
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:03 am
mia

HSBC Cardholders

Have a Premier World Elite™ MasterCard and need help getting or using iPass? Please email [email protected] for support.
https://www.ipass.com/support/
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by mia
Didn't have any luck with them. Uust been on the phone to HSBC for about 30 mins and they are mailing me a code - seems the guy I spoke to didn't know what to do!!!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by parklife
Included in my guide that came with my card. It is a UK card if that makes any difference. Just can't find any info on what you actually need to do! Also shows in here https://www.hsbc.co.uk/content/dam/h...redit-card.pdf
Can you tell if it's the full version of iPass (i.e. the version which includes in-flight wifi on certain airlines) or a "lighter" version? If it's the full version, then I will upgrade my card to the World Elite ^

Edit: From the link above: "iPass is the world’s largest Wi-Fi network, giving you easy, fast and secure access to 50 million hotspots worldwide. You can use the iPass service in more than 100 countries, at the world’s busiest airports, on more than 2,000 airplanes, on 800 trains and in the most popular hotels and shopping centres around the globe."

If it is actually the version which includes in-flight wifi, then this would be a spectacularly good deal. But it's not clear…

Last edited by ExpatExp; Jun 18, 2019 at 10:11 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Can you tell if it's the full version of iPass (i.e. the version which includes in-flight wifi on certain airlines) or a "lighter" version? If it's the full version, then I will upgrade my card to the World Elite ^

Edit: From the link above: "iPass is the worlds largest Wi-Fi network, giving you easy, fast and secure access to 50 million hotspots worldwide. You can use the iPass service in more than 100 countries, at the worlds busiest airports, on more than 2,000 airplanes, on 800 trains and in the most popular hotels and shopping centres around the globe."

If it is actually the version which includes in-flight wifi, then this would be a spectacularly good deal. But it's not clear
I don't know yet as I can't sign up! Once I sign up will see if it is obvious and report back ^
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp

Edit: From the link above: "iPass is the worlds largest Wi-Fi network, giving you easy, fast and secure access to 50 million hotspots worldwide. You can use the iPass service in more than 100 countries, at the worlds busiest airports, on more than 2,000 airplanes, on 800 trains and in the most popular hotels and shopping centres around the globe."

If it is actually the version which includes in-flight wifi, then this would be a spectacularly good deal. But it's not clear
Got an activation code and signed up - can't see if it includes in-flight wifi or not!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:16 pm

Any problems with having a negative balance on this HSBC card, and/or negative rewards balance? e.g., if I buy an airline ticket, redeem rewards towards it, and then cancel the ticket, I'll end up with a negative account balance and I assume negative rewards. Does HSBC make it easy to get a check for the negative account balance (do I need to call for that, or can it be done online)? And will anything bad happen due to the negative rewards balance (I wouldn't be putting any more spend on this card)?

It sounds like that'll require at least 1 phone call, maybe 2; not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Also, does a travel purchase need to appear on a statement before reward points can be redeemed towards it?

Edit to answer most of the above questions myself: negative balance on the card after a refund: I chatted online and they said I could transfer the balance to an HSBC deposit account or get a check in the mail; I had them transfer to my HSBC Direct Savings account and it posted 2 days later. I didn't try having a negative rewards balance. And, the travel purchase for which I redeemed rewards did not need to appear on a statement first; I just waited until the website showed the purchase had posted.

Last edited by sbft77; Oct 11, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-ber-elite status
Beginning October 28, 2019, if you pay your Global Entry Application Fee with your HSBC Premier World Mastercard credit card, you can redeem 10,000 Points to receive a $100 statement credit to cover the fee.

More information will be available soon. While you wait, learn about the offers & benefits available to you now.
I got excited when I first saw this thinking they would extend (and increase) the PreCheck reimbursement to include the Global Entry Fee, but then realized it was a redemption option.

Not sure what the point of it is, doesn't appear to be any more beneficial than doing a straight statement credit redemption.
mia likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by stanj
I got excited when I first saw this thinking they would extend (and increase) the PreCheck reimbursement to include the Global Entry Fee, but then realized it was a redemption option.

Not sure what the point of it is, doesn't appear to be any more beneficial than doing a straight statement credit redemption.
Ridiculous that they'd even promote it as a new benefit since you are correct, it's a straight statement credit redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.