Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
HSBC (USA) Premier has eleven airline transfer partners, and two hotel chain partners. Cards issued in other countries may have different partners and transfer ratios

ONE WORLD
British Airways (Avios) 1:25:1
Iberia (Avios) 1:25:1
Qantas 1:1
Qatar Airways (Avios) 1.25:1

SKYTEAM
Flying Blue 1.25:1

STAR
Avianca 1.25:1
Eva Air 1.25:1
TAP Portugal 1:1
Turkish 1.25:1

INDEPENDENT
Aer Lingus (Avios) 1:25:1
Emirates 1:1

HOTELS
Accor 2:1
Wyndham 1.25:1
Print Wikipost

HSBC Premier World MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hl176
... did not hear back from my banker. They also gave me a healthy credit limit of 11k as a college student. Also I should note that after the rejection, funds were transferred to my account for tuition....
Did you expect to be contacted by your Relationship Manager because you submitted the application through her or contacted her when the application was rejected? Do you (or your family) also have a relationship with HSBC in another country?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Do any of you know of what caused the sudden approval and what may have happened?
This is solely my speculation.

The way I see it - it is a simply a formality. If you qualify HSBC Premier without paying a monthly fee (this includes international linkage as well), you will get the card.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:45 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Did you expect to be contacted by your Relationship Manager because you submitted the application through her or contacted her when the application was rejected? Do you (or your family) also have a relationship with HSBC in another country?
No, but since she didn't contact me, I'm assuming she didn't intervene.

I have HSBC in Canada which is actually where the main account is; the US account is just a linked account.

Edit: I just remembered that she sent me an email to send her more information; however, I'm not sure if it was after or before they rejected me. I was out of town during that time

Originally Posted by garykung
This is solely my speculation.

The way I see it - it is a simply a formality. If you qualify HSBC Premier without paying a monthly fee (this includes international linkage as well), you will get the card.
Yeah, I was always in Premier; however, I found it odd they sent the rejection letter and then afterwards, sent an approval letter.

What would lead to bank's credit department to rescind their rejection and suddenly approve without any intervention on my end? I should note that around the time of the rejection (before or after a few days), tuition funds were transferred to the account so maybe that had something to do with it? I'm not sure

I did miss a call from their toll free number so I'm assuming maybe they were going to discuss something with regards about that matter

Last edited by mia; Jan 31, 2018 at 3:26 pm Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
What would lead to bank's credit department to rescind their rejection and suddenly approve without any intervention on my end?
No reason, especially given the fact that issuers canceled accounts after approval.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:11 am
mia

HSBC (USA) has added two transfer partners. Jet Airways and AeroMexico, but Asia Miles has been removed.

Now there are four (1:1):
  • AeroMexico
  • British Airways
  • Jet Airways
  • Singapore Airlines

HSBC (UK) still offers these four (2:1):
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Etihad
  • Singapore Airlines

Last edited by mia; Feb 13, 2018 at 7:28 am
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Just received an email from HSBC -- apparently I now have both a "Premier Relationship Advisor" (for investment and insurance advice) and a "Premier Relationship Manager" (for banking services). Before, I only had a "Premier Relationship Advisor" for everything. Wonder why the change. Edit: This is HSBC USA.

Last edited by ExpatExp; Mar 2, 2018 at 1:18 am
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:55 am
mia

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Just received an email from HSBC ...
In which country?
JK likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by mia
In which country?
USA. Post edited.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by mia
HSBC (USA) has added two transfer partners. Jet Airways and AeroMexico, but Asia Miles has been removed.

Now there are four (1:1):
  • AeroMexico
  • British Airways
  • Jet Airways
  • Singapore Airlines

HSBC (UK) still offers these four (2:1):
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Etihad
  • Singapore Airlines
holy crap, they removed ASIA miles for USA market I didnt realize. I was holding onto my points for the past few years aiming for something an eventual asia miles redemption once I had a trip in place, but it never happened because i havent sought to travel to asia in recent years.

Did anyone notice for the USA market, the points to cash conversion has gone back to a 1:1 ?
i'm wondering if i should just cash out... decision is mine, but I don't udnerstand if converting my points to BA or Sinagpore would be worth it. I would like to fly to Europe and Canada in the near future. I also have 6K asiamiles sitting in my asiamiles account which now I cannot augment from my HSBC points as they dropped asiamiles.

If my memory serves me, there was a time a couple years earlier where the redemption was less than that. I could be wrong.

They are also devaluing the points come april.

devaluation ? Seat 31B

"Currently, for HSBC Premier members, the rate is 62 points per $1. However, as of April 2, 2018, the rate will increase to 80 points per $1. This is a significant devaluation, from about 1.6 cents per point in value down to 1.25 cents per point in value. I think this is most significant because it is the first major bank program ..."
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by stanj
Just got a mailer announcing enhancements to the US card:

2x rewards on travel purchases (airlines, hotels and cruises)
TSA Pre application fee reimbursement (no mention of Global Entry)
$50 annual credit for Uber or Lyft rides ($10/ride)
Free Boingo wi-fi access
Free 2-day shipping via shoprunner.com
10% discount on hotel stays through Expedia, Agoda, or onefinestay

Continuing benefits include no FTF and contactless.

Not sure I can get excited about any of the new benefits. 2x travel rewards and free boingo might come in handy every blue moon.
what does 10/ride uber credit mean, if you have a $8 ride you deplete the balance down to $42. if you next have a 12$ ride you deplete the balance to $32, not $30?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:17 pm

although asiamiles is gone as a transfer partner, British Air, Avios is still there. Avios points are usable on Cathay flights. So I went on the BA site and ran a query for a common Cathay fligh NYCt to Vancouver... this flight is really to Hong Kong, with that stop over in Vanoucver. Never really liked the flight as you get to Vancouver in the middle of the night, you lose the day (but this is another discussion)

But anyway, looking at the flight award breakdown, 25,000 avios and $77.34USD, not bad. I consider the 25,000 avios as $250USD. so would one be able to find a flight from NY to Vancouver for under $325.
Personally I would rather pay upwards of $425USD and get better flight times on the return leg, on another airline, aircanada or westjet if possible.

The flight times though Cathay on this flight are acceptable if you stay with a friend or family. if you are doing hotel or airbnb... if you pay for your stay.. you arrive at weird check in time, and leave every early... you blow a day of lodging having to leave at 10:55 PM, or check out in the afternoon and wonder what to do for half a day befoer the airport.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by abc5
although asiamiles is gone as a transfer partner, British Air, Avios is still there. Avios points are usable on Cathay flights. So I went on the BA site and ran a query for a common Cathay fligh NYCt to Vancouver... this flight is really to Hong Kong, with that stop over in Vanoucver. Never really liked the flight as you get to Vancouver in the middle of the night, you lose the day (but this is another discussion)

But anyway, looking at the flight award breakdown, 25,000 avios and $77.34USD, not bad. I consider the 25,000 avios as $250USD. so would one be able to find a flight from NY to Vancouver for under $325.
Personally I would rather pay upwards of $425USD and get better flight times on the return leg, on another airline, aircanada or westjet if possible.

The flight times though Cathay on this flight are acceptable if you stay with a friend or family. if you are doing hotel or airbnb... if you pay for your stay.. you arrive at weird check in time, and leave every early... you blow a day of lodging having to leave at 10:55 PM, or check out in the afternoon and wonder what to do for half a day befoer the airport.
For those contemplating to fly CX from YVR to JFK, there is no US CBP pre-clearance at YVR. One has to clear all US entry formalities at JFK which is a pain.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
For those contemplating to fly CX from YVR to JFK, there is no US CBP pre-clearance at YVR. One has to clear all US entry formalities at JFK which is a pain.
Thank you for that note. I don't travel much, isn't it common for the entry formalities to be done at the arrival airport thought, not the disembarking airport?

So was your point that doing CBP at JFK in particular, is a pain? and not about a personal preference for doing CBP pre flight than post flight?

I know that for flights from Montreal canada to NY -LGA, since LGA isn't a 'international' flights airport for NYC, that belongs to JFK, it doesn't have CBP, therefore that aspect it taken care of in Canada, montreal that is, YUL.

The downside is you must arrive at YUL earlier but once you land you're on your way quicker.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:54 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Just to be clear, no pre-clearance at YVR for THIS flight, as CX is in the non US side of Int'l terminal. Pretty much all other US bound flights go through CBP at YVR.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Just to be clear, no pre-clearance at YVR for THIS flight, as CX is in the non US side of Int'l terminal. Pretty much all other US bound flights go through CBP at YVR.
Yes, that is correct and thank you for clarifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.