Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
HSBC (USA) Premier has eleven airline transfer partners, and two hotel chain partners. Cards issued in other countries may have different partners and transfer ratios

ONE WORLD
British Airways (Avios) 1:25:1
Iberia (Avios) 1:25:1
Qantas 1:1
Qatar Airways (Avios) 1.25:1

SKYTEAM
Flying Blue 1.25:1

STAR
Avianca 1.25:1
Eva Air 1.25:1
TAP Portugal 1:1
Turkish 1.25:1

INDEPENDENT
Aer Lingus (Avios) 1:25:1
Emirates 1:1

HOTELS
Accor 2:1
Wyndham 1.25:1
Print Wikipost

HSBC Premier World MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm a recent Premier customer (I like how having 5k/mo via Direct Deposit qualifies you). Looking at the CCs it seems the Premier World Mastercard is a no brainier as the AF is waived (I guess the con is that it burns a 5/24 slot). The Premier World Elite Mastercard has an effective AF of $195 after the travel and rideshare credit. A few questions I'm hoping some people may know.
  • Is this card worth it? (I know that is subjective)
  • Are there any other major benefits I'm not seeing on the website? Maybe some soft benefits?
  • HSBC tech isn't that great. Do the credits post automatically or does it require calling in?
  • Is the travel portal 1.5cpp and is that interface somewhat easy to navigate?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JHake10
I'm a recent Premier customer (I like how having 5k/mo via Direct Deposit qualifies you). Looking at the CCs it seems the Premier World Mastercard is a no brainier as the AF is waived (I guess the con is that it burns a 5/24 slot). The Premier World Elite Mastercard has an effective AF of $195 after the travel and rideshare credit. A few questions I'm hoping some people may know.
  • Is this card worth it? (I know that is subjective)
  • Are there any other major benefits I'm not seeing on the website? Maybe some soft benefits?
  • HSBC tech isn't that great. Do the credits post automatically or does it require calling in?
  • Is the travel portal 1.5cpp and is that interface somewhat easy to navigate?
Rideshare credits post automatically - no need to call. I've even gotten >$50 in some years... they have a weird way of calculating.

Travel portal cpp depends on redemptions. I always redeem for airlines miles and wait for their 30-40% bonus to do so.

I get card for free as Premier so that card is surely worth it. Works all over world, great exchange rates, and no or rare fraud nonsense like Cap One.

Also offers cell phone insurance so pay your cell bill with this card and they'll cover it against damage.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Rideshare credits post automatically - no need to call. I've even gotten >$50 in some years... they have a weird way of calculating.

Travel portal cpp depends on redemptions. I always redeem for airlines miles and wait for their 30-40% bonus to do so.

I get card for free as Premier so that card is surely worth it. Works all over world, great exchange rates, and no or rare fraud nonsense like Cap One.

Also offers cell phone insurance so pay your cell bill with this card and they'll cover it against damage.
Thanks for the details. I’m looking at the World Elite card as well (the $395 AF version above the base Premier card). It doesn’t seem as lucrative as other cards but does seem decent. I normally transfer points to BA or SQ and HSBC has those covered based on what I read.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:13 am

How sensitive is HSBC regarding the number of inquiries/new accounts from other banks? Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
How sensitive is HSBC regarding the number of inquiries/new accounts from other banks? Thanks.
I’ve read (nothing to back this up) that if you’re a premier member you should get approved. I’m sure there are limits to this though.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:47 pm

I’ve read (nothing to back this up) that if you’re a premier member you should get approved. I’m sure there are limits to this though.
Thanks. Just got approved for the card.
Would the $50 Uber credit work with UberEat?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Thanks. Just got approved for the card.
Would the $50 Uber credit work with UberEat?
I'm new to the card as well. However, an earlier post noted that purchasing Uber Cash triggered the credit. I'd guess Uber Eats would most likely work too.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31662404-post557.html
asdfghjk likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:27 pm

Interesting data point. It seems the points from the HSBC Premier World Elite card post as the transactions clear. My first statement hasn't closed yet and I'm seeing points post to my account. That is pretty snazzy.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Interesting data point. It seems the points from the HSBC Premier World Elite card post as the transactions clear. My first statement hasn't closed yet and I'm seeing points post to my account. That is pretty snazzy.
I noticed this as well - interesting! Have you noticed the rounding HSBC does with the Uber credit? I had a $23 ride round down to a $20 credit, and a $17 ride round UP to a $20 credit.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by immaculate
I noticed this as well - interesting! Have you noticed the rounding HSBC does with the Uber credit? I had a $23 ride round down to a $20 credit, and a $17 ride round UP to a $20 credit.
The benefit for Uber/Lyft for the Premier cards are $50/$100 (depending on card) per calendar year. However, it’s up to $20 a ride. Another poster mentioned HSBCs odd rounding as well. You’d think on the $17 ride you’d just get a $17 credit.

I wish HSBC updated their IT. Their main website looks ok but once you login everything seems to be early 2000s.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
The benefit for Uber/Lyft for the Premier cards are $50/$100 (depending on card) per calendar year. However, it’s up to $20 a ride. Another poster mentioned HSBCs odd rounding as well. You’d think on the $17 ride you’d just get a $17 credit.

I wish HSBC updated their IT. Their main website looks ok but once you login everything seems to be early 2000s.
That explains it!

And yea, the website (and mobile app) are a bit dated...
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Not to mention the glacial pace of an ACH transfer requiring 3 business days to complete. Or up to 5 days if you initiate the request on a Wednesday,Thursday or Friday. Most banks can complete the transfer in about one day. They just want to cash in on the float of your funds.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Paiteaw
Not to mention the glacial pace of an ACH transfer requiring 3 business days to complete. Or up to 5 days if you initiate the request on a Wednesday,Thursday or Friday. Most banks can complete the transfer in about one day. They just want to cash in on the float of your funds.
That is true. My direct deposit shows up on the pay date and not two days before like other banks. Their IT isn’t great. With only letting Premier clients get access to certain cards they have a real opportunity to make a good card that actually draws in outside funds.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:27 pm

Doe anyone know if you can have both the World and World Elite cards at the same time?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:36 pm

I just had an Uber trip in the amount of $21.28. I used an Uber code for 50% off. The total charged to my HSBC Premier card was $10.64. 3 days later, I got a rideshare benefit credit of $2.13. What is going on? Why is it only 10% of the ride (or 20% of the billed amount)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.