HSBC Premier World MasterCard

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
HSBC (USA) Premier has seven 1:1 airline transfer partners. Cards issued in other countries may have different partners and transfer ratios

ONE WORLD
British Airways (Avios)
Iberia (Avios)

SKYTEAM
AeroMexico

STAR
Singapore Airlines

INDEPENDENT
Aer Lingus (Avios)
Emirates
Jet Airways

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 26, 19, 3:52 pm
  #571  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,441
I'm a recent Premier customer (I like how having 5k/mo via Direct Deposit qualifies you). Looking at the CCs it seems the Premier World Mastercard is a no brainier as the AF is waived (I guess the con is that it burns a 5/24 slot). The Premier World Elite Mastercard has an effective AF of $195 after the travel and rideshare credit. A few questions I'm hoping some people may know.
  • Is this card worth it? (I know that is subjective)
  • Are there any other major benefits I'm not seeing on the website? Maybe some soft benefits?
  • HSBC tech isn't that great. Do the credits post automatically or does it require calling in?
  • Is the travel portal 1.5cpp and is that interface somewhat easy to navigate?
JHake10 is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 9:34 am
  #572  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,582
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
I'm a recent Premier customer (I like how having 5k/mo via Direct Deposit qualifies you). Looking at the CCs it seems the Premier World Mastercard is a no brainier as the AF is waived (I guess the con is that it burns a 5/24 slot). The Premier World Elite Mastercard has an effective AF of $195 after the travel and rideshare credit. A few questions I'm hoping some people may know.
  • Is this card worth it? (I know that is subjective)
  • Are there any other major benefits I'm not seeing on the website? Maybe some soft benefits?
  • HSBC tech isn't that great. Do the credits post automatically or does it require calling in?
  • Is the travel portal 1.5cpp and is that interface somewhat easy to navigate?
Rideshare credits post automatically - no need to call. I've even gotten >$50 in some years... they have a weird way of calculating.

Travel portal cpp depends on redemptions. I always redeem for airlines miles and wait for their 30-40% bonus to do so.

I get card for free as Premier so that card is surely worth it. Works all over world, great exchange rates, and no or rare fraud nonsense like Cap One.

Also offers cell phone insurance so pay your cell bill with this card and they'll cover it against damage.
JHake10 likes this.
TravelinSperry is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:11 pm
  #573  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,441
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Rideshare credits post automatically - no need to call. I've even gotten >$50 in some years... they have a weird way of calculating.

Travel portal cpp depends on redemptions. I always redeem for airlines miles and wait for their 30-40% bonus to do so.

I get card for free as Premier so that card is surely worth it. Works all over world, great exchange rates, and no or rare fraud nonsense like Cap One.

Also offers cell phone insurance so pay your cell bill with this card and they'll cover it against damage.
Thanks for the details. Iím looking at the World Elite card as well (the $395 AF version above the base Premier card). It doesnít seem as lucrative as other cards but does seem decent. I normally transfer points to BA or SQ and HSBC has those covered based on what I read.
JHake10 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 9:13 am
  #574  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 372
How sensitive is HSBC regarding the number of inquiries/new accounts from other banks? Thanks.
asdfghjk is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 9:29 am
  #575  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,441
Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
How sensitive is HSBC regarding the number of inquiries/new accounts from other banks? Thanks.
Iíve read (nothing to back this up) that if youíre a premier member you should get approved. Iím sure there are limits to this though.
JHake10 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 20, 12:47 pm
  #576  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
Iíve read (nothing to back this up) that if youíre a premier member you should get approved. Iím sure there are limits to this though.
Thanks. Just got approved for the card.
Would the $50 Uber credit work with UberEat?
asdfghjk is offline  
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:30 pm
  #577  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,441
Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
Thanks. Just got approved for the card.
Would the $50 Uber credit work with UberEat?
I'm new to the card as well. However, an earlier post noted that purchasing Uber Cash triggered the credit. I'd guess Uber Eats would most likely work too.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31662404-post557.html
asdfghjk likes this.
JHake10 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:27 pm
  #578  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,441
Interesting data point. It seems the points from the HSBC Premier World Elite card post as the transactions clear. My first statement hasn't closed yet and I'm seeing points post to my account. That is pretty snazzy.
JHake10 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:16 am
  #579  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport Beach / San Francisco / Seattle
Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold 75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 231
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
Interesting data point. It seems the points from the HSBC Premier World Elite card post as the transactions clear. My first statement hasn't closed yet and I'm seeing points post to my account. That is pretty snazzy.
I noticed this as well - interesting! Have you noticed the rounding HSBC does with the Uber credit? I had a $23 ride round down to a $20 credit, and a $17 ride round UP to a $20 credit.
immaculate is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:53 am
  #580  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,441
Originally Posted by immaculate View Post
I noticed this as well - interesting! Have you noticed the rounding HSBC does with the Uber credit? I had a $23 ride round down to a $20 credit, and a $17 ride round UP to a $20 credit.
The benefit for Uber/Lyft for the Premier cards are $50/$100 (depending on card) per calendar year. However, itís up to $20 a ride. Another poster mentioned HSBCs odd rounding as well. Youíd think on the $17 ride youíd just get a $17 credit.

I wish HSBC updated their IT. Their main website looks ok but once you login everything seems to be early 2000s.
JHake10 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:37 pm
  #581  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport Beach / San Francisco / Seattle
Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold 75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 231
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
The benefit for Uber/Lyft for the Premier cards are $50/$100 (depending on card) per calendar year. However, itís up to $20 a ride. Another poster mentioned HSBCs odd rounding as well. Youíd think on the $17 ride youíd just get a $17 credit.

I wish HSBC updated their IT. Their main website looks ok but once you login everything seems to be early 2000s.
That explains it!

And yea, the website (and mobile app) are a bit dated...
immaculate is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:41 pm
  #582  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WAS/ Silver Spring, MD,USA
Programs: UA/AA
Posts: 850
Not to mention the glacial pace of an ACH transfer requiring 3 business days to complete. Or up to 5 days if you initiate the request on a Wednesday,Thursday or Friday. Most banks can complete the transfer in about one day. They just want to cash in on the float of your funds.
Paiteaw is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:28 pm
  #583  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,441
Originally Posted by Paiteaw View Post
Not to mention the glacial pace of an ACH transfer requiring 3 business days to complete. Or up to 5 days if you initiate the request on a Wednesday,Thursday or Friday. Most banks can complete the transfer in about one day. They just want to cash in on the float of your funds.
That is true. My direct deposit shows up on the pay date and not two days before like other banks. Their IT isnít great. With only letting Premier clients get access to certain cards they have a real opportunity to make a good card that actually draws in outside funds.
JHake10 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 4:27 pm
  #584  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 67
Doe anyone know if you can have both the World and World Elite cards at the same time?
Kylash is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 4:36 pm
  #585  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 372
I just had an Uber trip in the amount of $21.28. I used an Uber code for 50% off. The total charged to my HSBC Premier card was $10.64. 3 days later, I got a rideshare benefit credit of $2.13. What is going on? Why is it only 10% of the ride (or 20% of the billed amount)?
asdfghjk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: