Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picture ID when using credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:27 pm
Suspended

I have been asked for ID when using credit cards for so long, it's second nature; pull out cc, flash the licence along with it, much like buying alcoho - I'm still young enough to get asked .

My options are show my id and take the chance that a $6 an hour clerk will memorize my name, address, dob, height, eye color and weight by looking at my licence for 3 seconds or carry around a large sum of money with me everywhere I go. I'll take my chances with the former.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:51 pm
21A

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
In most cases you wouldn't even be liable for the $50, as most card companies waive even that fee.
In fact, all Visa, MC, Amex, and Discover cards, it seems.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:02 pm
21A

Originally Posted by @ORD
Now does the credit card company eat the rest? Does any of the merchants pay for anything at all?
My understanding is that for card-present transactions (retail/in-person), the merchant is not liable for any loss from fraud, unless a procedure was not followed (e.g. in a transaction where a signature was requested, the signature wasn't checked properly). However, for card-absent transactions (catalog, phone, online), the merchant usually eats the loss, although Visa merchants using Verified by Visa (a system that requires a password for online purchases) are protected.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:07 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by venice4504
Here in Seattle, if I attempt to pay for a ferry ticket with a cc that isn't signed, but says "see ID" the ferry denies me from using the card claiming it isn't "valid". This has happened to me and many other people. Don't know if it legit considering that the cc company says that you should sign it and take off that sticky when you get a new card.
I attempted to pick up my Amtrak tixs once in San Francisco. Lady behind the counter refused to assist me, saying my card wasn't signed.

But, she did points me towards the Quik-Trak machine, where I got my tixs.

Needless to say, I haven't bought many Amtrak tixs thereafter.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:24 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
No, it doesn't. The 4th amendment restricts the power of the US Government (and by extension the states, according to the USSC) to search you without your consent to those times when they can get a warrant from a judge. It doesn't restrict businesses from ascertaining that you are who you say you are to protect themselves from fraud.
Yeah--it does. Just as my right to free speech cannot be infringed upon niether both you nor the government.

Originally Posted by are8
I never realized the rules against requesting ID. I wish it was a rule to show it, and I love the movement of putting your pic on the card. I have had so many fruads with my cards that could have been prevented...

Me too! I love the idea of having a digital representation of my appearence, over which I have no control, stored in a bank's database!

Originally Posted by 21A
My understanding is that for card-present transactions (retail/in-person), the merchant is not liable for any loss from fraud, unless a procedure was not followed (e.g. in a transaction where a signature was requested, the signature wasn't checked properly)

Yeah--I think it goes like this:

- Signature panel signed prior to sale
- Signature panel matches signature on sales slip
- Expiration date checked/not expired
- Authorization code received (or transaction size below floor limit)

No need to inconvenience (or annoy) your customers if you follow this procedure! Easy as cake! Piece of pie!

Last edited by Pizzaman; Mar 28, 2007 at 5:46 pm
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pushback
Yeah--I think it goes like this:

- Signature panel signed prior to sale
- Signature panel matches signature on sales slip
- Expiration date checked/not expired
- Authorization code received (or transaction size below floor limit)

No need to inconvenience (or annoy) your customers if you follow this procedure! Easy as cake! Piece of pie!
as a merchant I've won chargeback requests before and all they do is check if the signature is close and card was present. If we called it in as a verbal authorization and gave the secret code # for 'suspicious' they would get the cardholder to verify some info on the phone, but they still never required ID.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Me too! I love the idea of having a digital representation of my appearence, over which I have no control, stored in a bank's database!
This is available on the Costco AMEX Platinum, where they put a pic of you on the back of the card along with your Costco membership number.

Sanosuke!
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:47 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by Sanosuke
This is available on the Costco AMEX Platinum, where they put a pic of you on the back of the card along with your Costco membership number.

Sanosuke!

Yes, it is available if you have a Costco AMEX. I use an AMEX that is unrelated to Costco--no picture except on the Costco card I use.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Yeah--it does. Just as my right to free speech cannot be infringed upon niether both you nor the government.
Poor example. I can restrict your freedom of speech on my private property. Likewise, the fourth amendment does not prevent a store from ascertaining you are the person that owns the credit card you present for payment.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa
Not yet. I did forget one card at a restaurant one time. I canceled it right away.

Max credit card liability is $50 by law but most cards have none so that's one place where I'm not too worried (or just ignorant ).

I do shred every piece of paper I get with an account number on it, including utility bills. Most ID theft are either someone you know or dumpster diving. I also don't carry my social security card in my wallet.

My next project is having a fake wallet with $60 and some old cards, in case of a mugging or some pick-pocket.

What do you think of the European system, where signatures aren't enough: PIN's are typically required for gas stations, etc.

I do have a problem showing ID or giving my SSN when it's not required by some rule...
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:30 pm

Unsigned Cards

Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa
Not yet. I did forget one card at a restaurant one time. I canceled it right away.

Speaking of restaurants, I heard that the bad guys working in restaurants like to take the unsigned cards. They would later sign the back of the card in a way that way easy to duplicate when they used it to make a purchase. Easier than trying to reproduce the cardholders real signature, I guess.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:53 pm

Poor example. I can restrict your freedom of speech on my private property. Likewise, the fourth amendment does not prevent a store from ascertaining you are the person that owns the credit card you present for payment.
Well, that's a nice off the cuff theory. I think its more like, you can restrict my access to your private property--which is not the same as restricting my speech. In any case, some people just don't get it and they never will. This is where we say let's just agree to disagree. I won't have my personal information shared any more than neccesary and you ... will.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:45 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by chichow
--
2) And how does this apply in different areas. For example, I always get asked for ID no matter what when I am using a credit card in Las Vegas. Is their different US state law? What about for the EU?
When I moved from the East Coast I was shocked at how much they demand to see ID here in NM! In fact, I have been asked for ID when *returning* an item for credit to my account! I refused every time. Once I called the clerk on it and asked why would she need to see ID to give me money? A few Walgreen's have signs stating "Valid photo ID is required for all credit or debit card transactions" Yes, they were serious because the clerk asked for my ID as I was typing in my PIN!!! I replied that my PIN number was my ID but she was insistant. Had to get a manager about that one. He gave me the old "it's for your protection" line So I replied, "Thanks, but I don't need your help because I carry a gun for my protection!" Suddenly I didn't need to show ID.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by jonesing

When I moved from the East Coast I was shocked at how much they demand to see ID here in NM! In fact, I have been asked for ID when *returning* an item for credit to my account! I refused every time. Once I called the clerk on it and asked why would she need to see ID to give me money? A few Walgreen's have signs stating "Valid photo ID is required for all credit or debit card transactions" Yes, they were serious because the clerk asked for my ID as I was typing in my PIN!!! I replied that my PIN number was my ID but she was insistant. Had to get a manager about that one. He gave me the old "it's for your protection" line So I replied, "Thanks, but I don't need your help because I carry a gun for my protection!" Suddenly I didn't need to show ID.
Yes-- I have heard that "it's for your protection" BS line many times. I guess I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn’t such a lie. I have zero liability on my cards--it protects the merchants and it protects the banks (much more so the banks) … and that's fine--just tell me that and maybe I will be more sympathetic and more willing comply (unlikely—but don’t lie).

The really sad part of it is they have these front-line workers fighting their battles—protecting the corporations revenue stream with minimal compensation and without actually educating them on the topic. These people are minimum wage workers and my heart goes out to them. I hate having to debate this issue with them. They have no idea what they are talking about other than the fact they have been told to enforce these rules—and they do it with vigor! All for +/- $5/hour? The Walmarts and the Targets of the world certainly get their money’s worth, enlisting these poor souls at wages that any ethical corporation would be too embarrassed to actually pay someone ( see walmartwatch dot com ) and put them in a position to have to have to protect the corporation’s interests and have to propagate lies without even knowing they are doing so. That makes me more furious than the request for the ID itself. They have made these people wind-up toys for the corporation’s benefit—leaving me in a position where I have to engage these very people I feel for in a debate of sorts.

When the gave me the “It’s for your protection” line, I used to say "It's not for my protection--now toilet seat covers, those of for my protection--says so right on the box" but I decided that was off color, so like you, minus the gun ... I have gone through all the motions, including carrying a copy of Visa rules. I'm a pretty big guy, so now my response it simply "Thanks for the offer of protection, but I can take care of myself.”

Now—this just gets funnier and funnier … I too have been asked for ID when returning—worse yet, I have been asked to show ID when making a cash deposit into my checking account. My standard response is “Just for the record, you have my blanket authority to accept payments/deposits from any imposters who want to make payments or deposits on my account—I have no problem with that, and in fact, I encourage the behavior.”

Here’s another one for you. Does anyone remember when you signed the sales slip when you charged (of course—the money is coming from your account, you have to authorize the release of funds) and conversely, the merchant signed the credit slip when you returned something? Yes—it used to be like that, and it made perfect sense, because the merchant was signing to release funds from his/her account. What I don’t understand at all is the current practice which requires that I sign when a merchant pays me for a return—now that makes no sense to me.

Similarly, I love it when I buy groceries at Albertson's and the bagger, who when I visited two days ago was a 17 year old girl about 1/4 my size asks (cuz she has to, I know) "Do you need any help out with your bags?" ... "No thanks, sweet thing--I got this one ... thanks" ;-)

Any other “it just don’t make sense” retail/credit card/debit card stories out there?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
They have no idea what they are talking about other than the fact they have been told to enforce these rules—and they do it with vigor! All for +/- $5/hour? The Walmarts and the Targets of the world certainly get their money’s worth, enlisting these poor souls at wages that any ethical corporation would be too embarrassed to actually pay someone ( see walmartwatch dot com ) and put them in a position to have to have to protect the corporation’s interests and have to propagate lies without even knowing they are doing so.
Without these "unethical corporations" these same people would be unemployed. People working for <$10 per hour at Wal-mart and Target are not exactly executive material.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.