Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picture ID when using credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:20 am

last week at the SEMA show in Vegas i took 2 clients to the strip club, everything was fine till i order the 2nd bottle of Jack Danielks for these guys ( yes they can drink with the best of them ) 4 guys and then they (club Paradise) wanted to thumb print me at 1 oclock in the am i told them no way its illegal embrassing and i wont do it, I said go F yourself to floor manager and i left. i will be writting the letter today to have the 2nd bottle that they opend and placed at my table and then 20 mins later wanted a thumb print saying my ID & MASTERCARD were not good enough...

$250 per bottle of JD and they want a thumb print ...lol
Old Nov 13, 2005, 9:29 am

The T&C of most cards do say "Not valid unless signed", so they got you there.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:43 am

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Originally Posted by tixx
last week at the SEMA show in Vegas i took 2 clients to the strip club, everything was fine till i order the 2nd bottle of Jack Danielks for these guys ( yes they can drink with the best of them ) 4 guys and then they (club Paradise) wanted to thumb print me at 1 oclock in the am i told them no way its illegal embrassing and i wont do it, I said go F yourself to floor manager and i left. i will be writting the letter today to have the 2nd bottle that they opend and placed at my table and then 20 mins later wanted a thumb print saying my ID & MASTERCARD were not good enough...

$250 per bottle of JD and they want a thumb print ...lol
If you've seen the case of the $250,000 blunder one guy made, you'd understand why they wanted that thumbprint.

Sanosuke!
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:19 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by ClassCAir
Why does Visa and MC make it such a big deal?... prohibiting ID requirements. I am happy when I am asked to show ID. It just means it is one less place a pick-pocket can charge up my credit card. Lowes asks for ID as well. I haven't noticed it at Wal-Mart. With all of the credit card fraud and Identity theft, I would think people would be looking for more ways to confirm the identity of the credit card user... not less.
These policies are not in place to protect you. They are in place to protect the bank and the merchant. The $5/hour clerks who mimic the mantra they have been told to repeat have no idea what they are talking about--they are merely wind-ups. You are already protected by the fair credit act and Reg Z. Your liability in most cases is zero--in some cases is $50 (most banks waive all liability--a perk offered to you in their advertising even though it’s the law). It's a load of tripe.

The banks and merchants have done a wonderful job of shoving the "it's for your protection" mantra at the consumer. I, for one, will never release any more information than I (not them) deem absolutely necessary--certainly not to protect their ...-etts. I stand firm against all attempts to breach privacy rights or civil liberties. Others have died for less--just doing my part. With the ludicrous add on fees and interest rates I lose no sleep knowing that they take a loss now and then.

Originally Posted by Sanosuke
If you've seen the case of the $250,000 blunder one guy made, you'd understand why they wanted that thumbprint.

Sanosuke!

Their problem ... not his.

Originally Posted by ranles
My Visa has my picture on it! I think this is a good thing. I don't put my signature on the back. I want the clerk to ask for ID, if they think there is a problem.

Your picture is also now digitized and in the banks database, to do with what they like, at their whim.

Originally Posted by pterostyrax
Indeed, I have signed "See I.D." in the signature location on the back of all my cards. I get asked for my I.D. less than half the time, which is rather disconcerting.

But why? Why do you expend such energy to protect them? They created the flawed system for their benefit--not yours. Any perceived benefit to you is incidental to their objective of profiting at your expense. Don't be their wind-up.

okay--I'm off my soapbox now.

;-)

Last edited by Pizzaman; Mar 28, 2007 at 5:28 pm
Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by pushback
These policies are not in place to protect you. They are in place to protect the bank and the merchant. The $5/hour clerks who mimic the mantra they have been told to repeat have no idea what they are talking about--they are merely wind-ups. You are already protected by the fair credit act and Reg Z. Your liability in most cases is zero--in some cases is $50 (most banks waive all liability--a perk offered to you in their advertising even though it’s the law). It's a load of tripe.

The banks and merchants have done a wonderful job of shoving the "it's for your protection" mantra at the consumer. I, for one, will never release any more information than I (not them) deem absolutely necessary--certainly not to protect their ...-etts. I stand firm against all attempts to breach privacy rights or civil liberties. Others have died for less--just doing my part. With the ludicrous add on fees and interest rates I lose no sleep knowing that they take a loss now and then.
Well said! I completely agree. I absolutely refuse to provide additional information as the condition of the sale. I'm also very insistent at the POS about minimums among other violations. As cardholders, we agree to the Terms set by our lending institutions and merchants should equally be binded to the agreement set by Visa/Mastercard International. If all consumers capitulated to the will of a merchant, things would be different. I refuse and maintain my position, and have never backed down
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I never understood why some people are so upset about showing ID. I can't be bothered enough to care.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:42 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
There was some mention above about showing SSN-card as ID: FWIW -- not kosher, as defined by SSA. They'll even admit they don't know your current address with any certainty until you start collecting payments

Frankly, there's not much reason to carry it around unless you're signing-on at a new job...
/.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 6:13 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I never understood why some people are so upset about showing ID. I can't be bothered enough to care.
I could never understand why people can't be bothered enough to care. Clearly they either don't understand the ramifications or they are simply apathetic.

Certainly, they are within their individual rights—Personally, I just don’t get it. Why would someone want to feed the data milling, privacy invading, machine?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushback
I could never understand why people can't be bothered enough to care. Clearly they either don't understand the ramifications or they are simply apathetic.
Well then, oh enlightened one, what are the ramifications that I am not seeing?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You posted. Apparently you were bothered enough to post.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:48 am
Suspended

Well then, oh enlightened one, what are the ramifications that I am not seeing?
You know -- i.e., no need to bother "answering" when you can't be "bothered enough to care".
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You know -- i.e., no need to bother "answering" when you can't be "bothered enough to care".
Smartass.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You posted. Apparently you were bothered enough to post.
I care about the issue, as in I wonder why people get their undies in a twist over showing their ID. I liek top learn things.

I don't care about actually showing my ID.

There's a difference.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Smartass.
Better than being the dumb variety, right? ^^
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better than being the dumb variety, right? ^^
That's certainly true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.