Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picture ID when using credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:57 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by dgwright99
Zip code at the gas pump doesn't bother me, but it would if the merchant was storing it (does anybody know ?) - I assume that it goes direct to the processing bank (am I wrong ?).
My guess is if it isn't already being done, these data will be harvested as they pass through the merchants network on the way to the bank. It will likely evolve much like telephone number capturing has for toll-free numbers. Originally ANI (Automatic Number Identification) provided the calling number to toll-free merchants strictly for billing purposes. That makes sense, since they are paying for the call and since once a upon a time LD charges were based not only on connect time but where the caller was. Now, however, they are able to detect it, in real-time, whether your number is blocked or not. I don't like that--which is why I'll always call the non-toll-free number on my CC card (free with the LD included on my mobile). ANI should be done away with now since toll-free charges are now solely based on connect time. I won't hold my breath--but that's a discussion for another day.

One point to make though - ultimately we (consumers) end up paying for CC fraud: if the merchant takes the loss he has to raise prices; if the bank takes the loss they raise processing fees to the merchant who raises prices. The smart-card + pinpad system now prevalent in EU makes sense, and I would have no problem with that - even welcome it if it caused merchants to stop asking for ID.
I have heard that argument many times and I don't buy it. My econ classes taught me that in an efficient market the seller will charge the highest price the market will bear. If that's the case the merchant ends up absorbing the expense because if s/he raises the price someone else will come along and sell it cheaper. Restaurants are highly elastic. In the absence of competition where there is inelasticity business will just drop off as the price point moves above the price a consumer is willing to pay--which was already defined as the highest price the market will bear.

Last edited by pushback; Mar 20, 2007 at 10:05 pm
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat
Passport

Originally Posted by drbond
Show them your passport that will ruin their day.
That's what I do with my bank - (Wells Fargo)

even though they know me and know me by name.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: Amex Plat
Call The Police

Refuse to show your ID, they can't force you. So what is the worse they can do, threaten to call the police. Let them, when they arrive they cannot enforce anything in the matter. Carry a copy of the T&C from VI and MC with you in reduced form and show it to the merchant and that will probably end it.
They threaten to call the police? I have whipped out my cell phone and said I AM CALLING THE POLICE - obviously you think there is credit card fraud involved - and I will stand at this register until they come.

Did this at a Wells Fargo bank one time with a manager- even though I had a account there and my mother once did. They wanted my mother's fingerprint....

The bank manager relented - "company policy" indeed.....

Good I hate sheeple...
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
One of the other scams I have heard of recently started in Cincy. In Cincy, one bank pretty much dominates the city. The scam in restaurants is that someone in the back will switch the customer's card for a worthless card from the same bank. Of course, no one checks their card until it is much too late.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12
.... where there is rampant credit card fraud. The restaurant asked for ID at the cashier....

I produced the ID and asked to see their current licenses. The health department license had expired, and they couldn't find the current one.

I got a certificate for a gratis meal for two.

Now I really like your style of thinking - force the business to show that they are "legit" too.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One point to make though - ultimately we (consumers) end up paying for CC fraud: if the merchant takes the loss he has to raise prices; if the bank takes the loss they raise processing fees to the merchant who raises prices. The smart-card + pinpad system now prevalent in EU makes sense, and I would have no problem with that - even welcome it if it caused merchants to stop asking for ID.
This cuts both ways. Fraud costs them money, but accepting credit cards brings in more sales. Presumably the latter is worth more than the former, or no one would take credit cards.

I agree that the PIN system would work, though this would require a significant change in POS equipment.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Refuse to show your ID, they can't force you. So what is the worse they can do, threaten to call the police. Let them, when they arrive they cannot enforce anything in the matter. Carry a copy of the T&C from VI and MC with you in reduced form and show it to the merchant and that will probably end it.
I wish I had the time like you to do the above, more power to you.

Seems like you have never bought bottles of Champagne or Vodka in a club, why dont you try this trick there, and see where you end up...
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:54 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by psyflyer
I wish I had the time like you to do the above, more power to you.
This is the sort if thing you make time for. No one said protecting one's privacy and civil liberties was an easy thing to do. Its OK though, if you don't take a stand. He's doing it for you. I do it every time I'm in a check-out line and I refuse to show ID. The people in line behind me don't understand I am fighting their battle too--like you, they too roll their eyes.

Some people get it, some people don't. That's life.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by pushback
Some people get it, some people don't. That's life.
Very well said, thanks for summing it up.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:19 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow FAQ: Requiring ID ++ Unsigned/"See ID" Cards (Updated)

Requiring ID:

For Visa:
  • "It is contrary to Visa policy to require the consumer to show identification as a condition of the sale. If a merchant asks for identification and the consumer is unable or unwilling to produce it, the merchant is still obliged to accept the consumer’s Visa card. Consumers who experience refusal of service based on identification may either call their card issuer to report the problem or call 1-800-VISA-911"
    [http://web.archive.org/web/200512110...html#anchor_18]

For MasterCard:
As for AMEX, they discourage (but not prohibit) this practice, leaving it at the discretion of the merchant.

Unsigned/"See ID" Cards:

For Visa:

For MasterCard:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.