Picture ID when using credit card?

Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Picture ID when using credit card?

Not sure if I should post this here or the Amex forum...

When checking out at my local Wal-Mart Supercenter last night I got asked for picture ID since I was using a credit card. The cashier said it's a new thing.

Has this happened to anyone else? i.e. is this a local or nationwide policy? Do any other chains do that? Is it disallowed per any credit card issuer rules?

(I was using my Amex SPG but it sounded like they were doing it for any credit card)
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:31 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edited to add: See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...53#post7070053 for updated info.

Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa
Is it disallowed per any credit card issuer rules?

(I was using my Amex SPG but it sounded like they were doing it for any credit card)
Requiring ID is a direct violation of the Visa/Mastercard regulations.

For Visa:
  • "It is contrary to Visa policy to require the consumer to show identification as a condition of the sale. If a merchant asks for identification and the consumer is unable or unwilling to produce it, the merchant is still obliged to accept the consumers Visa card. Consumers who experience refusal of service based on identification may either call their card issuer to report the problem or call 1-800-VISA-911"
    [http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/newsr...arch#anchor_18]

For MasterCard:
As for AMEX, they discourage (but not prohibit) this practice, leaving it at the discretion of the merchant.

Last edited by KVS; Jan 22, 2007 at 4:25 pm
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:02 pm
DH

I always gotten asked at CA and HI WalMarts. At local WalMarts, I had to enter zip code when I use AmEx.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:11 pm

Programs: CO, AA, UA, DL
Why does Visa and MC make it such a big deal?... prohibiting ID requirements. I am happy when I am asked to show ID. It just means it is one less place a pick-pocket can charge up my credit card. Lowes asks for ID as well. I haven't noticed it at Wal-Mart. With all of the credit card fraud and Identity theft, I would think people would be looking for more ways to confirm the identity of the credit card user... not less.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:46 pm

Programs: Centurion
Indeed, I have signed "See I.D." in the signature location on the back of all my cards. I get asked for my I.D. less than half the time, which is rather disconcerting.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
My Visa has my picture on it! I think this is a good thing. I don't put my signature on the back. I want the clerk to ask for ID, if they think there is a problem.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:50 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by ranles
My Visa has my picture on it! I think this is a good thing. I don't put my signature on the back. I want the clerk to ask for ID, if they think there is a problem.
My MC has both my picture and my signature on the front of the CC - and I am still asked for ID because the card is not signed on the back! (But it does have a signature printed on the front! And nobody would dare to want my ugly mug! )
Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:50 pm
CRC

Programs: *wood/DC
I am glad when merchants check for picture ID when using any credit or debit card. I wish more merchants would.

Ever had your wallet stolen or lost? Your first thought is if someone is using your credit/debit cards. You begin to hope that merchants are checking picture IDs.

Thieves appreciate merchants not asking for picture IDs.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by CRC
Ever had your wallet stolen or lost?
Not yet. I did forget one card at a restaurant one time. I canceled it right away.

Max credit card liability is $50 by law but most cards have none so that's one place where I'm not too worried (or just ignorant ).

I do shred every piece of paper I get with an account number on it, including utility bills. Most ID theft are either someone you know or dumpster diving. I also don't carry my social security card in my wallet.

My next project is having a fake wallet with $60 and some old cards, in case of a mugging or some pick-pocket.

What do you think of the European system, where signatures aren't enough: PIN's are typically required for gas stations, etc.

I do have a problem showing ID or giving my SSN when it's not required by some rule...
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:17 pm

I will object whenever I'm asked for picture ID and normally end up talking to the store manager. I've won all the arguements except for one and that one I left the merchandise and left the store.

Why you might ask (the sentiment here seems to run in favor of a picture ID)? About 6 years ago, we moved to this part of the country from another. Living in corporate housing for a couple of months and then bought and moved into a new house. I had lots of trouble at Wal-Mart, Home Depot and other places because my picture ID was an out of state drivers license and they would not accept that (I couldn't get a new license until I had a permanent address - the old property was still my legal residence). I even had trouble trying to buy groceries once. So since then I've found out the rules and make a big deal of it if anyone asks for a picture ID.

Alan
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa
My next project is having a fake wallet with $60 and some old cards, in case of a mugging or some pick-pocket.

What do you think of the European system, where signatures aren't enough: PIN's are typically required for gas stations, etc.
In places like Barcelona, Spain it's very common to have to show a picture I.D. as there's a high pick-pocket rate.

Last edited by Traveling Man; Nov 12, 2005 at 11:23 pm
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:58 pm

I've had it happen. I'd rather they ask than just scan away. I don't understand why one would make it a big deal. All you have to do is show them your license, your wallet is out anyway. Seems like the simplest way to prevent fraud to me. Alot easier than getting money back or disputing charges.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:04 am

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Here in Seattle, if I attempt to pay for a ferry ticket with a cc that isn't signed, but says "see ID" the ferry denies me from using the card claiming it isn't "valid". This has happened to me and many other people. Don't know if it legit considering that the cc company says that you should sign it and take off that sticky when you get a new card.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by venice4504
Here in Seattle, if I attempt to pay for a ferry ticket with a cc that isn't signed, but says "see ID" the ferry denies me from using the card claiming it isn't "valid". This has happened to me and many other people. Don't know if it legit considering that the cc company says that you should sign it and take off that sticky when you get a new card.
Just writing "see ID" on the signature field does not make the card valid. The card must be signed in order to be valid. The ferry is playing by the rules.

I think the dumbest people are those who don't sign any of their cards, thinking that if the card isn't signed then the merchant will just ask for ID. But these are the cards that pickpockets like best because they can just sign the card themselves and all of a sudden their signature matches the one on the card.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:15 am

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Good to know that the ferry people just aren't being jerks. I think that you should have to sign the cards...I personally like pink sharpie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.