Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picture ID when using credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Originally Posted by chichow
And not to derail this entirely, but at many gas stations they ask that you enter in the zip code of the credit card as part of the pre-auth. Is this legal?
If you are entering the zip code via a pin pad and not giving it to someone there is not a problem with it. You do not have to give it to anyone and more so you should NOT give it to anyone.

Last edited by drbond; Feb 3, 2007 at 2:17 pm
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:46 pm

There is only one large retail organization I'm aware of that has a set in stone policy of refusing to sell to anyone with an unsigned or SEE ID card. The US Post Office. Most retailers will ask for the ID because they want your money.

I know in CA it is unlawful for the retailer to record your information for in person sales when paying via a credit card. They may only record the information that is on the card itself. Although they may ask for ID as long as they don't record it. I can recall that people used to sue Radio Shack in CA all the time over it. Quick way to make $250/incident off the retailer.

I also remember when I was looking at the merchant agreement with either Disover or Amex that the whole SEE ID thing was in a bit of a grey area based on the terms and conditions for the merchant.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:21 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by drbond
If you are entering the zip code via a pin pad and not giving it to someone there is not a probleme with it. You do not have to give it to anyone and moreso you should NOT give it to anyone.
What do you mean "not a problem with it."
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:03 pm
zlc

Originally Posted by chichow
And not to derail this entirely, but at many gas stations they ask that you enter in the zip code of the credit card as part of the pre-auth. Is this legal?
If there is no signature for the transaction, ie, online store, gas stations, the merchant can refuse to accept the card if you do not provide correct billing information, street number, zip and phone.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I always refuse ID and have never been pushed beyond "can I have it anyway" and I say "no, it is signed" just like some other posters here and never a problem.

I am not handing my ID and card to them, some have real good memories and I have heard of other tricks.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Argh. I had another "ID" experience 10 days ago. A restaurant in Chinatown Philly. The manager insisted on seeing ID. She said that it was her bank that was making her do it (a development that worries me). She got them on the phone and the rep claimed it was for my protection (yeah right, I told him, more for the bank's protection). I made an online complaint to MasterCard asking to be contacted after it's investigated/resolved. No news yet.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its SOP at some places apparently. i always ask why when they request ID.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Since I've moved to Memphis, I am asked for an id with every transaction besides the grocery store, some restaurants and the filling station. A few filling stations ask for my zip code on the automatic pumps.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:41 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
All of these recent posts represent violatrions to the merchants agreement with Visa/MC. In the case of a sit-down restaurant, I always offer to give the food back if they are insistant.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by pushback
All of these recent posts represent violatrions to the merchants agreement with Visa/MC.
Unless, of course, they do what I did and cross out and initial that clause (I also did that with the "no minimum purchase" clause).
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Here in SoCal, it is pretty much SOP to ask for ID for any CC purchase above $30-50.

If I have time to argue, I refuse; if I don't then I show my DL, but do not let them hold it (ie it's inside my wallet, they can see it through the window).

I really do resent it, and thanks to those who have posted the T&C links - I will argue more often now.

I never give my phone# or address when asked for that, even if I don't have time to argue.

Zip code at the gas pump doesn't bother me, but it would if the merchant was storing it (does anybody know ?) - I assume that it goes direct to the processing bank (am I wrong ?).

One point to make though - ultimately we (consumers) end up paying for CC fraud: if the merchant takes the loss he has to raise prices; if the bank takes the loss they raise processing fees to the merchant who raises prices. The smart-card + pinpad system now prevalent in EU makes sense, and I would have no problem with that - even welcome it if it caused merchants to stop asking for ID.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Unless, of course, they do what I did and cross out and initial that clause (I also did that with the "no minimum purchase" clause).
You can cross out all you want, however, it is not valid since the clause of changes in terms invalidates it. It states that no agreement may verbal or written may change any of the credit card terms & conditions as required by the card association. No matter what you write, you are just opening yourself up to a case of urinating in the wind. The bank will not send you a countersigned and initialed copy and any bankcard representative that writes on the agreement has no authority to make any changes to the agreement. So in the end it is invalid. Your continued acceptance makes you liable to the rules. Even the ones that you may or may not have a copy of.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Show them your passport that will ruin their day.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Refuse to show your ID, they can't force you. So what is the worse they can do, threaten to call the police. Let them, when they arrive they cannot enforce anything in the matter. Carry a copy of the T&C from VI and MC with you in reduced form and show it to the merchant and that will probably end it.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by drbond
Refuse to show your ID, they can't force you. So what is the worse they can do, threaten to call the police. Let them, when they arrive they cannot enforce anything in the matter. Carry a copy of the T&C from VI and MC with you in reduced form and show it to the merchant and that will probably end it.
Well, I spent a good 20 minutes arguing but she wouldn't budge until her bank agreed (and the bank didn't agree). Hence the 'Argh'. I had to give in, against principles, after my better half finished her tea.

Funnily enough, after the online MC complaint I then called Citi Chairman: the rep said to contact the restaurant to complain. Argh. That this was all 'for my protection'. Double Argh. She also recommended to put 'See ID' on the card. Triple Argh. I wasn't impressed...

Next time I'll pay cash and make a bigger stink with Citi.

If anyone knows, is there some way I could inquire with MC about the online complaint status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.