Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picture ID when using credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:26 am

Programs: LH SEN
FYI many Northern European countries have an ID policy for purchases over $30. In Sweden I've been asked many times for my (national) ID-card, and when handed a passport, the cashier has had work out how to fill in an eight digit field with data that looks nothing like it. The Swedish equivalent of a SSN is on the ID card.

Aidan
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:19 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Quite simply, it amounts to unreasonable search, a violation of the 4th amendment to the US Constitution. My address, DOB, and other personal information on the DL are mine, to do with what I like--to disclose or to not disclose, at my preference. This information is not theirs to demand from me as a method of protecting the assets of the bank or the merchant. They built a flawed system--too bad. They reap plenty from it anyway. Again--the "it’s for 'your' protection" mantra is a load of hooey--its not--it’s for their protection. When I get a credit card bill, I pay it--end of story. That is extent of which I choose to participate in the system they created to further thier profit. Since I do not commit fraud, I choose not to be at their whim and produce personal information on demand. If I commit fraud, arrest me—if not, leave me alone.

My undies are just fine on this matter. I am very polite in my refusal to supply the information. I don't get all excited about it as some previous posts imply. I do, however, remain steadfast in not allowing the civil liberties that many before me have fought for to not be infringed upon. Others have died to protect my rights and it disappoints me to see how many others are willing to cave and give them up without and apparent second thought. Some are unaware on this point, others are apathetic. I'm just doing my small part to protect the rights of all Americans who have all been the victim of recent rapid encroachment of civil liberties.

No need to thank me.

Last edited by pushback; Dec 18, 2005 at 8:17 pm
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
I was asked for ID a couple of years ago in Vegas....

.... where there is rampant credit card fraud. The restaurant asked for ID at the cashier....

I produced the ID and asked to see their current licenses. The health department license had expired, and they couldn't find the current one.

I got a certificate for a gratis meal for two.

Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by pushback
Quite simply, it amounts to unreasonable search, a violation of the 4th amendment to the US Constitution.
No, it doesn't. The 4th amendment restricts the power of the US Government (and by extension the states, according to the USSC) to search you without your consent to those times when they can get a warrant from a judge. It doesn't restrict businesses from ascertaining that you are who you say you are to protect themselves from fraud.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 4:05 pm

Correct. You're under no legal obligation to show the merchant your ID, so the 4th Ammendment doesn't apply. They may, however, refuse to do business with you.

Businesses have a very wide latitude over the conditions they can put on a sale, and over refusing service. Note the cases at WalMart and Best Buy where they banned people who were writing down prices.
The health department license had expired, and they couldn't find the current one.

I got a certificate for a gratis meal for two.
Uh, I'd wonder if there was a reason they didn't have a valid inspection certificate. I'm not sure a free meal there was a great deal.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 4:05 pm

One other thing to keep in mind - while it's annoying to the consumer to be asked for ID, imagine how much visa hates it..

They've spent...200 million..probably more..Promoting check cards and how great they are because you don't need to carry around forms of ID like you do with a check..

Obviously, there's a bunch of other benefits that you still gain, but when merchants violates visa's policy on this, it invalidates all of their marketing efforts to show how easy the check card is to use. YAO..YO..YAO..YO..

Originally Posted by alanh
Correct. You're under no legal obligation to show the merchant your ID, so the 4th Ammendment doesn't apply. They may, however, refuse to do business with you.

Businesses have a very wide latitude over the conditions they can put on a sale, and over refusing service. Note the cases at WalMart and Best Buy where they banned people who were writing down prices.
Uh, I'd wonder if there was a reason they didn't have a valid inspection certificate. I'm not sure a free meal there was a great deal.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 9:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by alanh
They'd misplaced it.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa
Not sure if I should post this here or the Amex forum...

When checking out at my local Wal-Mart Supercenter last night I got asked for picture ID since I was using a credit card. The cashier said it's a new thing.

Has this happened to anyone else? i.e. is this a local or nationwide policy? Do any other chains do that? Is it disallowed per any credit card issuer rules?

(I was using my Amex SPG but it sounded like they were doing it for any credit card)

i just shopped in radio shack and they asked me for photo id
Old Dec 27, 2005, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by levy
i just shopped in radio shack and they asked me for photo id
Remember when they used to ask your phone number for every purchase? I hated that.

I used to just give them the phone number for the Wal-Mart next door.

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Dec 27, 2005 at 8:28 am
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Remember when they used to ask your phone number for every purchase? I hated that.

I used to just give them the phone number for the Wal-Mart next door.
I tell them I don't wish to give out that information, and that usually satisfies the clerk. If not, I give them the local area code along with 555-1212.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
who pays for it?

Just out of curiosity - if I lost my card and someone charges 3 grand on it. I reported to credit card company and would be liable for nothing or up to 50 bucks. Now does the credit card company eat the rest? Does any of the merchants pay for anything at all?

Thanks.
@ORD
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by @ORD
I reported to credit card company and would be liable for nothing or up to 50 bucks. Now does the credit card company eat the rest? Does any of the merchants pay for anything at all?
In most cases you wouldn't even be liable for the $50, as most card companies waive even that fee. My understanding is that they go after the merchants for fraudulent charges.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by KVS
Requiring ID is a direct violation of the Visa/Mastercard regulations.

For Visa:
  • "It is contrary to Visa policy to require the consumer to show identification as a condition of the sale. If a merchant asks for identification and the consumer is unable or unwilling to produce it, the merchant is still obliged to accept the consumer’s Visa card. Consumers who experience refusal of service based on identification may either call their card issuer to report the problem or call 1-800-VISA-911"
    [http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/newsr...arch#anchor_18]

For MasterCard:
As for AMEX, they discourage (but not prohibit) this practice, leaving it at the discretion of the merchant.
--

So I have a couple of followup questions regarding this:

1) Say a merchant asks for ID. And I pull out the Visa merchant terms. And then the merchant continues by refusing sale. And I report the merchant. so what? I mean is there any teeth to the regulation?

2) And how does this apply in different areas. For example, I always get asked for ID no matter what when I am using a credit card in Las Vegas. Is their different US state law? What about for the EU?
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I never realized the rules against requesting ID. I wish it was a rule to show it, and I love the movement of putting your pic on the card. I have had so many fruads with my cards that could have been prevented...
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pterostyrax
Indeed, I have signed "See I.D." in the signature location on the back of all my cards. I get asked for my I.D. less than half the time, which is rather disconcerting.
Agreed. If your card is not signed, they should refuse to accept it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.