FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Picture ID when using credit card?
View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:16 pm
chichow

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by KVS
Requiring ID is a direct violation of the Visa/Mastercard regulations.

For Visa:
  • "It is contrary to Visa policy to require the consumer to show identification as a condition of the sale. If a merchant asks for identification and the consumer is unable or unwilling to produce it, the merchant is still obliged to accept the consumer’s Visa card. Consumers who experience refusal of service based on identification may either call their card issuer to report the problem or call 1-800-VISA-911"
    [http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/newsr...arch#anchor_18]

For MasterCard:
As for AMEX, they discourage (but not prohibit) this practice, leaving it at the discretion of the merchant.
--

So I have a couple of followup questions regarding this:

1) Say a merchant asks for ID. And I pull out the Visa merchant terms. And then the merchant continues by refusing sale. And I report the merchant. so what? I mean is there any teeth to the regulation?

2) And how does this apply in different areas. For example, I always get asked for ID no matter what when I am using a credit card in Las Vegas. Is their different US state law? What about for the EU?