FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Picture ID when using credit card?
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:14 am
pushback

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by jonesing

When I moved from the East Coast I was shocked at how much they demand to see ID here in NM! In fact, I have been asked for ID when *returning* an item for credit to my account! I refused every time. Once I called the clerk on it and asked why would she need to see ID to give me money? A few Walgreen's have signs stating "Valid photo ID is required for all credit or debit card transactions" Yes, they were serious because the clerk asked for my ID as I was typing in my PIN!!! I replied that my PIN number was my ID but she was insistant. Had to get a manager about that one. He gave me the old "it's for your protection" line So I replied, "Thanks, but I don't need your help because I carry a gun for my protection!" Suddenly I didn't need to show ID.
Yes-- I have heard that "it's for your protection" BS line many times. I guess I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn’t such a lie. I have zero liability on my cards--it protects the merchants and it protects the banks (much more so the banks) … and that's fine--just tell me that and maybe I will be more sympathetic and more willing comply (unlikely—but don’t lie).

The really sad part of it is they have these front-line workers fighting their battles—protecting the corporations revenue stream with minimal compensation and without actually educating them on the topic. These people are minimum wage workers and my heart goes out to them. I hate having to debate this issue with them. They have no idea what they are talking about other than the fact they have been told to enforce these rules—and they do it with vigor! All for +/- $5/hour? The Walmarts and the Targets of the world certainly get their money’s worth, enlisting these poor souls at wages that any ethical corporation would be too embarrassed to actually pay someone ( see walmartwatch dot com ) and put them in a position to have to have to protect the corporation’s interests and have to propagate lies without even knowing they are doing so. That makes me more furious than the request for the ID itself. They have made these people wind-up toys for the corporation’s benefit—leaving me in a position where I have to engage these very people I feel for in a debate of sorts.

When the gave me the “It’s for your protection” line, I used to say "It's not for my protection--now toilet seat covers, those of for my protection--says so right on the box" but I decided that was off color, so like you, minus the gun ... I have gone through all the motions, including carrying a copy of Visa rules. I'm a pretty big guy, so now my response it simply "Thanks for the offer of protection, but I can take care of myself.”

Now—this just gets funnier and funnier … I too have been asked for ID when returning—worse yet, I have been asked to show ID when making a cash deposit into my checking account. My standard response is “Just for the record, you have my blanket authority to accept payments/deposits from any imposters who want to make payments or deposits on my account—I have no problem with that, and in fact, I encourage the behavior.”

Here’s another one for you. Does anyone remember when you signed the sales slip when you charged (of course—the money is coming from your account, you have to authorize the release of funds) and conversely, the merchant signed the credit slip when you returned something? Yes—it used to be like that, and it made perfect sense, because the merchant was signing to release funds from his/her account. What I don’t understand at all is the current practice which requires that I sign when a merchant pays me for a return—now that makes no sense to me.

Similarly, I love it when I buy groceries at Albertson's and the bagger, who when I visited two days ago was a 17 year old girl about 1/4 my size asks (cuz she has to, I know) "Do you need any help out with your bags?" ... "No thanks, sweet thing--I got this one ... thanks" ;-)

Any other “it just don’t make sense” retail/credit card/debit card stories out there?