Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
is the new B of A 2/3/4 rule for any B of A cards or just Alaska airlines? I bank with B and A and when I checked my account online, I see an offer for the B of A travel rewards card for me to apply. Does this mean I should be good to go if I applied for the Alaska Airlines card instead?
It is just marketing material.

If you meet the 2/3/4, by all means go ahead to apply whatever BofA cards you want. If you do not meet the 2/3/4 restriction you most likely would waste a HP.

There is a thread right in this forum, it should answer most of, if not all, your questions regarding applying a BofA CC.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superorb
Do you have the same Carlson number for both cards?
Same question. As in the past US Bank does not allow more than one Club Carlson card associated with the Club Carlson account.

IIRC the work around in the past (the 2-4-1 days) was to combine the Club Carlson accounts month later. Or some folks canceled their personal card and then combined the Club Carlson accounts.

It has been so long I forgot how exactly the work around was.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
0 years in business? Your name as the business name?

Ie, you should have mentioned how you filled out all of the relevant fields.
@sdsearch, I understand you are in a zealous way trying to figure out the new BofA landscape.

However, the poster ALREADY answered the questions, and actually said sorry about forgetting to mention the pertinent info. So WHY you continue to "chastise" him for not giving out all the info at once?

Please remember that posters have NO OBLIGATION to anyone to report every details of their application process. It is for the good of the community that all pertinent info are reported at once, so less chasing of more information is needed. However, by no means you should be so "vigilant" in criticizing others for not give out all the info at once. Worse, you continue to criticize him even after he already answering the question and apologize.

What is the point for you to quote every related post and highlighted them in Red, other than showing how you "know all" and others need to follow your script?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
@sdsearch, I understand you are in a zealous way trying to figure out the new BofA landscape.

However, the poster ALREADY answered the questions, and actually said sorry about forgetting to mention the pertinent info. So WHY you continue to "chastise" him for not giving out all the info at once?
Please point me to where the OP answered those questions. I've looked several times, and I can't find it. And, in fact the OP said:

Originally Posted by fredc84
I didn't give all the info [...] If you want more info [...] just ask.
but then chided me when I did ask for how I asked (and then still didn't answer).

The problem is that the person who asked the OP the original question asked only about income and employees and then said "etc" and "like a new business", and it's not clear what exactly was meant by "etc" and "like a new business". And it was only to that that the OP said "yes".

There have been people before who listed 0 income and 1 employee but made up a company name, and were than asked for documentation on that company. So that proves that (a) every answer matters, and (b) that just because someone answer the "no business" way for 2 answers doesn't prove they answered the "no business" way for all answers. They were trying to provide "new business" answers, rather than "no business" answers, and "new business" answers aren't necessarily exactly the same as 'no business" answers.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:59 am

Does 2/3/4 rules includes business cards too?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mak101
Please see this thread about it:
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Please point me to where the OP answered those questions. I've looked several times, and I can't find it. And, in fact the OP said:

but then chided me when I did ask for how I asked (and then still didn't answer).

The problem is that the person who asked the OP the original question asked only about income and employees and then said "etc" and "like a new business", and it's not clear what exactly was meant by "etc" and "like a new business". And it was only to that that the OP said "yes".

There have been people before who listed 0 income and 1 employee but made up a company name, and were than asked for documentation on that company. So that proves that (a) every answer matters, and (b) that just because someone answer the "no business" way for 2 answers doesn't prove they answered the "no business" way for all answers. They were trying to provide "new business" answers, rather than "no business" answers, and "new business" answers aren't necessarily exactly the same as 'no business" answers.
Just relax a bit, and lose the underscores.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Is it also recommended to drop business card credit line before cancelling?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please point me to where the OP answered those questions. I've looked several times, and I can't find it.
Since you asked ...

Here are the SEQUENCE of the OP's posts regarding the doggedness you have about he has given the full information...

Here
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29010164-post688.html
I applied for a biz card as a sole prop with my SSN about 2 weeks ago and today I got a letter asking for tax returns, biz records, etc. I filled out the app just like the last (successful) time that I got the card with no documentation required.
Followed by this much calmer question from another poster
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29013234-post689.html
Originally Posted by Superorb
1 employee, $0 income, etc? New Biz in their eyes?
And fredc84 answered it plus an admission of the oversight
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29013295-post690.html
Exactly. Sorry, should have mentioned that.
The words from Superbob are ENOUGH to most readers that fredc84 was using the tried and true method to apply the AS business card, just like he did before, yet this time had a totally different outcome.

Please look at the posts I quoted and I think you OWE fredc84 an apology by so condescending to him while you yourself have problems to interpret what others have said all along.

Please keep this in mind, OP and anybody else, DONT have the obligation to report everything to your satisfaction despite you are so obsessed in trying to collect enough DPs on how BofA current policies / scrutiny are.

Just cool it.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mak101
Originally Posted by bta15

first answer = no, based on my personal experience.

second answer = up to you, i can get another biz card even while holding an existing biz

Last edited by gnomey; Nov 7, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
The words from Superbob are ENOUGH to most readers that fredc84 was using the tried and true method to apply the AS business card, just like he did before, yet this time had a totally different outcome.
I disagree. The "tried and true" for actual business owners may be different than the "tried and true" for people with no business. But it seems that pretending you don't have a business works better than saying you have a new business at BofA (I'm not aware of any other banks at which pretending to have no business at all works better ).

And IME not everyone is yet familiar with the fact that, at BofA only, pretending to have no business at all may "work better" than just saying you have a new business.

And thus since Superorb asked if "like a new business", that to me is not the same as asking "did you give your name as the business name?".

But it may be that saying your name is the business name is the key to not having BofA ask for such stuff. Which is why I'm trying to find out how the business name was filled out in fredc84's case.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bta15
I don't see how it can hurt. Not enough people have been churning business cards for us to know for sure, but by the time we know for sure it may be too late (since at least for personal cards, at BofA credit limit that's reduced before you cancel is available to subsequent cards within months, but credit limit that is on your card when it's cancelled doesn't because available to subsequent cards for over a year .

So, without knowing whether it works the same way for BofA business cards or not, I'd err on the side of caution and reduce credit before cancelling. What can it hurt, other than a few minutes of your time?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
@sdsearch

This is a bit old info but as of 8/14/2017 for the Alaska Bus:

your name as business name
your address as business address
your phone as business phone
0 years in business
$0 business income to date
minimum employees (1 since they count you)
sole proprietorship

and I selected "Individual Earning"

Successful approval with no more info gathering from them.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum
No luck on my latest Platinum Plus -> Signature upgrade. I've HUCA'd a few times, and spoken to some pretty high level folks in the credit dept (via insider connections).

Takeaways:
  • The reason "recon" to the Visa Sig product takes so long is that it's not really recon at all -- they have to open a brand new application on the backend, do another HP, and start the credit analysis from scratch. Not the same process as raising an existing CL.
  • I'm not sure if my key findings from last time (especially: the fact that spend on the Plat counts toward the bonus requirements on the Sig, if later approved) are still in effect. They wouldn't come out & say so, but I suspect they've shored up their IT to close that loophole.
  • They are willing to reallocate from other consumer products, but not close them to free up space, even if you ask. I was already at the minimums on my other cards, so the chance of a fresh app going thru was nil.
  • Although they cannot reallocate credit from the BOA Business side of the house, the credit you've been extended on biz cards does count against your total exposure. If I'd trimmed that CL ahead of time, I'd probably be in a better negotiating spot right now.
  • They care more about recent new accounts than HPs.
  • Closed accounts, especially accounts closed after <1yr of payment history, are a major ding from the POV of underwriters, even more than your X/24 count. Regardless whether you have some long-dated cards bringing up your AAOC (as calculated by computer scoring algos), once a typical churner history gets in front of a senior (human) analyst, they are going to be very skeptical of your long-term risk profile. They didn't come out & say that this crackdown on open/close behavior was recent, but it does seem to align with the other trends toward tightening up reported here.

Sadly, I'm already past the point where I could give up & get the $50 AF refunded. I'm gonna pocket the measly 5K miles, close out my sock-drawered Biz cards, and cool off my BOA apps for 120+ days.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Richard Berg
No luck on my latest Platinum Plus -> Signature upgrade. I've HUCA'd a few times, and spoken to some pretty high level folks in the credit dept (via insider connections).

Takeaways:
  • The reason "recon" to the Visa Sig product takes so long is that it's not really recon at all -- they have to open a brand new application on the backend, do another HP, and start the credit analysis from scratch. Not the same process as raising an existing CL.
  • I'm not sure if my key findings from last time (especially: the fact that spend on the Plat counts toward the bonus requirements on the Sig, if later approved) are still in effect. They wouldn't come out & say so, but I suspect they've shored up their IT to close that loophole.
  • They are willing to reallocate from other consumer products, but not close them to free up space, even if you ask. I was already at the minimums on my other cards, so the chance of a fresh app going thru was nil.
  • Although they cannot reallocate credit from the BOA Business side of the house, the credit you've been extended on biz cards does count against your total exposure. If I'd trimmed that CL ahead of time, I'd probably be in a better negotiating spot right now.
  • They care more about recent new accounts than HPs.
  • Closed accounts, especially accounts closed after <1yr of payment history, are a major ding from the POV of underwriters, even more than your X/24 count. Regardless whether you have some long-dated cards bringing up your AAOC (as calculated by computer scoring algos), once a typical churner history gets in front of a senior (human) analyst, they are going to be very skeptical of your long-term risk profile. They didn't come out & say that this crackdown on open/close behavior was recent, but it does seem to align with the other trends toward tightening up reported here.

Sadly, I'm already past the point where I could give up & get the $50 AF refunded. I'm gonna pocket the measly 5K miles, close out my sock-drawered Biz cards, and cool off my BOA apps for 120+ days.
I thought I read upthread that the way to deal with the personal card is to apply, and if you get immediately approved for Platinum Plus, or no immediate approval, is to apply for the same card again, get rejected as duplicate card, and then go to recon with the duplicate, rejected app.

I haven't done this, but I have once successfully converted the Plat Plus card to the Signature card and it wasn't worth the headache. I stick to the business cards now because of no hard pulls.

I've been good doing 3 per year on business apps.

ETA: I am wrong, there are hard pulls on the business card (on Equifax at least).

Last edited by beachfan; Nov 11, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.