Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnomey
It's been over 7 months since my last BOA app. Posting here since VS thread is dormant, and it's somewhat related to AS.

Tried to do VS 90K, then followed by AS 30K. Couldnt even get pass the first hurdle.

Got denied due to 'sufficient number of credits'. Then offer to close one of my two credit cards with BOA, but even after closing it, still the same denial msg.

Anyone have success to get pass this msg? If yes, how?

Background: I did close off my other BOA cards back in Q1 2017. I think it's getting harder and harder to get BOA cards
Did you lower your credit limits on those BofA cards before you closed them?

If not, that could be the problem! Credit limit that you lower while you still have the card open becomes available to new BofA cards within a few months. But credit limit that remains on a card when you close it doesn't become available to new BofA cards for over a year!

So if you didn't lower credit limit and just closed a bunch of cards, they could be saying that they don't have any new credit limit available for you, because it's still tied up with those cards you closed, and nothing you can do about it at this point other than wait it out.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
I got AS personal approved on july 10th. How long should I wait to apply for business version? Is it 15 days?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Did you lower your credit limits on those BofA cards before you closed them?

If not, that could be the problem! Credit limit that you lower while you still have the card open becomes available to new BofA cards within a few months. But credit limit that remains on a card when you close it doesn't become available to new BofA cards for over a year!

So if you didn't lower credit limit and just closed a bunch of cards, they could be saying that they don't have any new credit limit available for you, because it's still tied up with those cards you closed, and nothing you can do about it at this point other than wait it out.
Yes. All BOA cards are only closed many moons after CL has been reduced to the minimum. I interpreted "sufficient credit" as "sufficient number of credit card accounts you have applied in the past 1.5 yrs, regardless of whether they are still open or not"

DoC page has several DP where they are given a hard number of no more than 3 CCs in the past 12 months, but I asked the CSR and he said there is no such thing (for me, at least). So go figure

Question now is whether evaluation / approval of BOA Personal and BOA Business cards are mutually exclusive or not. Their management / department appear quite so (bc i can never talk to the same CSR abt both cards), and for me at least, they pull different CB.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Received an email today for a 5000 miles referral bonus for each family and friend that signs up for a new card. No additional bonus miles and no statement credit for them with the referral, just the standard 30,000 miles (and companion code, of course).
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Best Commuter Card

Back on page 18 or so, there was discussion about the merits of AS card vs. Merrill. I am completely new to this and do not have any Bof A cards but will shortly be commuting on AS. I assumed getting the AS Sig card would be the way to go to use the miles to help lower the cost of my commute in the long run but I think sdsearch said that most people use the AS miles for International travel as that is the best use of the miles.

If that is true, is there a better card for helping to lower the cost of my US domestic commute and if so what is it? I currently have a CapOne Platinum Rewards and a Citibank thank you preferred which I assume are very basic cards.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by octagondd
I assumed getting the AS Sig card would be the way to go to use the miles to help lower the cost of my commute in the long run but I think sdsearch said that most people use the AS miles for International travel as that is the best use of the miles.
The best use of the miles vary per person, i personally use only for international J or F class, others have different uses and can use them for economy class international or domestic, each have their own needs and use of these miles. The best value for the miles is different than the best use of these miles.

If that is true, is there a better card for helping to lower the cost of my US domestic commute and if so what is it?
the credit card will not lower the cost of the ticket, it will help with baggage fees, accumulate miles that can be used for award tickets in the future, i am not sure the impact this card can have on cost other than bag fees!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
the credit card will not lower the cost of the ticket, it will help with baggage fees, accumulate miles that can be used for award tickets in the future, i am not sure the impact this card can have on cost other than bag fees!
I guess what I meant by lowering the cost of my commute was using the miles accumulated for award travel on my commute which effectively lowers the long term cost of my commute. If that is not the best or most cost effective use of the miles, then I may want to get a cash back card or a different card.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by octagondd
I guess what I meant by lowering the cost of my commute was using the miles accumulated for award travel on my commute which effectively lowers the long term cost of my commute. If that is not the best or most cost effective use of the miles, then I may want to get a cash back card or a different card.
Well, that depends on availability, which is hard to predict. Whether (or how many) miles you need for a certain route may vary from day to day, even hour to hour. So you have to do your own searches on your own route for dates/times that are valid for you and see what availability is like, and try different amounts of time out (a few weeks out, a few months out) to get a better idea of how consistent it is / isn't.

The average person doesn't use miles on the same route they fly paid, because the average person who flies paid on the same route and over and over is doing it for work and getting reimbursed and thus doesn't want to use miles in that case.

Your case of doing if for self-paid commute is more unique, and so I think you're going to have to do your own research on your particular route.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, that depends on availability, which is hard to predict. Whether (or how many) miles you need for a certain route may vary from day to day, even hour to hour. So you have to do your own searches on your own route for dates/times that are valid for you and see what availability is like, and try different amounts of time out (a few weeks out, a few months out) to get a better idea of how consistent it is / isn't.

The average person doesn't use miles on the same route they fly paid, because the average person who flies paid on the same route and over and over is doing it for work and getting reimbursed and thus doesn't want to use miles in that case.

Your case of doing if for self-paid commute is more unique, and so I think you're going to have to do your own research on your particular route.
OK, Thanks. This makes sense to me. I had noticed many people are flying for work, but it is hard to gauge whether it is company paid or self-paid. Time to do some research on award flights, availability and cost to book them in miles versus cash back cards to just help fund my flights. Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:14 am

To f/u on post #495 - I decided what the hell, since I already have a HP within the past 30 days, might as well give it a go. So I went ahead and put in a second app despite the first one not getting through. Second app went to pending, I did not call, and hours later it was approved by the system. Now I am keeping fingers crossed that I dont get a letter later saying 'approved in error'

So end result : I got the AS card, but not the VS card.

Now I am wondering if I should put in a third app.
-> One option is to submit another application for the VS. But I think it will be flagged as duplicate?
-> Another option I have in mind is to apply for the same card I just recently cancelled. What's the general rule of applying for BOA card after canceling it? ie., how many weeks should elapse post-cancellation, before you can safely reapply for the same card?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:00 am

To f/u on post #495 - I decided what the hell, since I already have a HP within the past 30 days, might as well give it a go. So I went ahead and put in a second app despite the first one not getting through. Second app went to pending, I did not call, and hours later it was approved by the system. Now I am keeping fingers crossed that I dont get a letter later saying 'approved in error'

So end result : I got the AS card, but not the VS card.

Now I am wondering if I should put in a third app.
-> One option is to submit another application for the VS. But I think it will be flagged as duplicate?
-> Another option I have in mind is to apply for the same card I just recently cancelled. What's the general rule of applying for BOA card after canceling it? ie., how many weeks should elapse post-cancellation, before you can safely reapply for the same card?
My advice for you would be: count your blessings and don't apply for any more BoA cards. The days of combining pulls and getting multiple cards with BoA seem to be gone for most of us here.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:16 am

I decided what the hell, since I already have a HP within the past 30 days, might as well give it a go.
I don't understand the 30 days part. To get HPs combined the HPs have to happen on the same day. As for applying for another B/A card in a short time frame, the DPs on that seem to be mixed.

So the question is, how much are you concerned about your HP totals?

If you've already gotten 5 HPs in the past 6 months, and are planning to apply for a Citi card any time soon, you might not want to take the risk of a denial knowing the additional HP might get you denied by Citi. But if you only have one or two apps in the past 6 months, another one won't be that harmful, and you can try your luck with another B/A app. The worst that can happen is you don't get another card, and if you don't apply, you are sure to not get another card.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
My advice for you would be: count your blessings and don't apply for any more BoA cards. The days of combining pulls and getting multiple cards with BoA seem to be gone for most of us here.
Yes. This thought definitely cross my mind too. Not to be greedy

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I don't understand the 30 days part. To get HPs combined the HPs have to happen on the same day. As for applying for another B/A card in a short time frame, the DPs on that seem to be mixed.

So the question is, how much are you concerned about your HP totals?

If you've already gotten 5 HPs in the past 6 months, and are planning to apply for a Citi card any time soon, you might not want to take the risk of a denial knowing the additional HP might get you denied by Citi. But if you only have one or two apps in the past 6 months, another one won't be that harmful, and you can try your luck with another B/A app. The worst that can happen is you don't get another card, and if you don't apply, you are sure to not get another card.
Nope, BOA can reuse a report that is < 30 days old. (Recon told me this before) Maybe even 90 days old, who knows? (I didn't test this out yet) Anyway, I have done this several times already. The trick here is that you need to freeze the CB where BOA typically pull prior to your subsequent apps
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
1000 mile inflight application bonus now available online

Saw in Alaska's inflight magazine that the 1000 mile inflight bonus no longer requires getting a paper app from a FA. It's now available through alaskaoffer.com. I'll add it to the wiki but obviously this isn't as good as the $100 statement credit available in the wiki or through a dummy booking.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:18 pm

Oy, need some help on the dreaded platinum v. signature issue. I got hit with it on Monday.

I immediately followed the steps here to do a second application. Reconsideration said no. Too many inquiries. I elevated to a supervisor in resolutions explaining very clearly what I wanted done (what folks said here). Called back today and denied.

So I decided to pursue the other route: moving credit from an existing card to bump up to signature levels. This took nearly 2 hours on the phone because my existing card (that I never use) is a joint account with hubby (no idea how that happened) and in order to move credit they needed to make the AS card a joint account.

Before initiating I asked if I would receive the bonus associated with the signature card (miles + companion + statement credit) and she said yea. After 90 minutes of back and forth we get hubby added, move 5K over, and she said she's sending to upgrade it. I ask again about the bonus and she then says she isn't sure. Puts me on hold, comes back, and says "no."

--
Advice from anyone who has gone through this? Did you have to write letters? CFPB? If the miles don't show, can you refund AF after 30 days? I'll MS the 1K pretty quickly to get it done on first statement.

**I have read through most of this thread, but wasn't seeing any recent experiences with this issue**

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.