Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
Anyway, looks like the local Whole Foods got rid of the EMV text from the receipts for contactless transactions too. I believe Sprouts and Grocery Outlet are the only grocery stores still using EMV contactless that I know of. However, I guess it's possible that it's still being used at the others, just with the EMV info suppressed (if that's even an option for individual stores).

Additionally, the EMV enabled car wash chain here still doesn't handle MC contactless, but the Verifone display says "insert/tap card" now while you're going through product selection on the larger touchscreen. I don't think QC or the contactless reader is enabled at that point, though, but that might be something to check once I'm not trying to meet minimum spend.
Many grocery stores are using EMV Contactless. Various of the smaller chains in Utah on the Associated Food Stores POS (in house system) are using it, as well as Harmons there with IBM registers. Even an indy called Sherm's Thunderbird in Oregon uses EMV Contactless. Every other element of Sherm's operation is circa 1970 but somehow the EMV Contactless made its way there.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Many grocery stores are using EMV Contactless. Various of the smaller chains in Utah on the Associated Food Stores POS (in house system) are using it, as well as Harmons there with IBM registers. Even an indy called Sherm's Thunderbird in Oregon uses EMV Contactless. Every other element of Sherm's operation is circa 1970 but somehow the EMV Contactless made its way there.
I should probably clarify that I was mainly referring to the major chains with contactless (at least around here, Sprouts, Grocery Outlet, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Smart & Final and Vons). In particular, WF and Trader Joe's apparently had EMV contactless at one point but either suppressed of evidence of it from receipts or backed out the update that enabled it.

FWIW, my local Sprouts still has it as of tonight. Though I thought I remember reading something here about it going away at another location too.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I should probably clarify that I was mainly referring to the major chains with contactless (at least around here, Sprouts, Grocery Outlet, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Smart & Final and Vons). In particular, WF and Trader Joe's apparently had EMV contactless at one point but either suppressed of evidence of it from receipts or backed out the update that enabled it.

FWIW, my local Sprouts still has it as of tonight. Though I thought I remember reading something here about it going away at another location too.
Try again at Whole Foods. I had one transaction a couple months ago at Sprouts that went through MSD Contactless for some reason but future purchases there have all been EMV Contactless. It may be something weird in the system. I went to Whole Foods last week and it was still EMV Contactless.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:42 pm

I went to Quiktrip and paid with my phone for a drink. Left and headed home before I received the alert that my purchase did not go through. Oops!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:47 pm

All Whole Foods I've been to have never had EMV contactless. Hy-Vee uses a similar NCR system to Sprouts and I believe they support EMV contactless as after you tap and it processes the transaction you get a "Please remove card" but as I've said before they don't show any chip info on anything which is different from TJ's or Whole Foods which did show that info and still does with EMV contact. I wonder does Sprouts have a similar message to remove card after you tap?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Try again at Whole Foods. I had one transaction a couple months ago at Sprouts that went through MSD Contactless for some reason but future purchases there have all been EMV Contactless. It may be something weird in the system. I went to Whole Foods last week and it was still EMV Contactless.
I'll definitely have to pay attention next time. Could it be because I used MC? I definitely remember AmEx and possibly Visa being EMV contactless, so I would think it shouldn't matter (but you never know).

Originally Posted by scibot
All Whole Foods I've been to have never had EMV contactless. Hy-Vee uses a similar NCR system to Sprouts and I believe they support EMV contactless as after you tap and it processes the transaction you get a "Please remove card" but as I've said before they don't show any chip info on anything which is different from TJ's or Whole Foods which did show that info and still does with EMV contact. I wonder does Sprouts have a similar message to remove card after you tap?
Nope, no "remove card" message at Sprouts after tapping.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like GNC has EMV contactless now too, at least at some locations. (There are some here that don't show up on the Google Pay app so it may still be rolling out.)

BTW what is ISO on the below receipt?

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Been in New Zealand for about 3 weeks now. Contactless support has been spotty among restaurants and smaller shops. Chains definitely have contactless, which they actually call Paywave.

lot of establishment will impose a surcharge of 1.5-2% for credit cards.

just ordered some food at a small restaurant and they said they don’t have Paywave because they serve alcohol, implying hat there’s a law against easily-authenticated transactions which could involve alcohol sales.

maybe NZ parents will give contactless cards for their under age kids to use but not the actual PINs?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:01 pm

Im going to Australia in about 3 months, hoping that surcharges on CC's are too common there. Ive read that AMEX seems to be commonly surcharged but I don't plan on using AMEX there anyway.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by choff5507
Im going to Australia in about 3 months, hoping that surcharges on CC's are too common there.
The biggest offenders of surcharging in Australia are unfortunately places where it's difficult to "opt out", such as hotels. Some establishments will charge a higher surcharge for AmEx than Visa/MC. I've had other hotels that indicate they impose a surcharge but never have. Most chain stores and restaurants will not surcharge. A few convenience stores do. Contactless acceptance is ubiquitous, and I suggest using Apple or Google Pay if that is an option for you. You have to bring your own pen these days for chip-and-signature transactions. Contactless avoids this.

Like in New Zealand, everyone calls contactless transactions "PayWave", which is the official Visa branding.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:51 am

Looks like GNC has EMV contactless now too, at least at some locations. (There are some here that don't show up on the Google Pay app so it may still be rolling out.)

ISO 8583 response code, perhaps? 00 is approved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8583#Response_code
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
ISO 8583 response code, perhaps? 00 is approved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8583#Response_code
That seems like a possibility. Though unless they show every attempt on the receipt (not just the successful one), it seems pointless to include it.

Also, apparently Citi Pay results in "application not yet effective" being set, unless of course MC contactless uses that flag for some other purpose.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
That seems like a possibility. Though unless they show every attempt on the receipt (not just the successful one), it seems pointless to include it.

Also, apparently Citi Pay results in "application not yet effective" being set, unless of course MC contactless uses that flag for some other purpose.
All Canadian MasterCards do the same with the effective date through mobile wallets. Not sure what it's purpose is.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:06 pm

Well my GNC closed down so I can't try out Visa at GNC today but remember the previous MC ctls locator update with all the Targets and one was near Wentzville MO(St Louis area) and someone from that area said that Apple Pay on the Apple watch worked at a local Target so STL probably has a Target with contactless enabled but support still hasn't been expanded beyond a certain amount of stores and Target keeps saying they don't accept it on Twitter.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Well my GNC closed down so I can't try out Visa at GNC today but remember the previous MC ctls locator update with all the Targets and one was near Wentzville MO(St Louis area) and someone from that area said that Apple Pay on the Apple watch worked at a local Target so STL probably has a Target with contactless enabled but support still hasn't been expanded beyond a certain amount of stores and Target keeps saying they don't accept it on Twitter.
Still no Targets showing up on the Google Pay app here. I'm not even sure if they've fixed the original QC bug yet that caused them to get rid of it on self-checkouts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.