Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
For those who've gone through the online replacement request, has anyone received the contactless CSR yet? Did you select damaged as the reason? I was thinking about calling up Chase to request a replacement.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Majuki
For those who've gone through the online replacement request, has anyone received the contactless CSR yet? Did you select damaged as the reason? I was thinking about calling up Chase to request a replacement.
When I applied for accelerated replacement with a local bank here in HK I said I got embarrassed having Australian cashiers slapping my card onto contactless readers only for me to tell them it's not a local card.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I did that as soon as it said Currently Available on the Chase Contactless sure. That’s what I did with my Freedom card and it worked no problem

My current CSR is plastic, so I’m wondering what the replacement will be.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
When I applied for accelerated replacement with a local bank here in HK I said I got embarrassed having Australian cashiers slapping my card onto contactless readers only for me to tell them it's not a local card.
Perhaps things are different with the call center representatives for banks in HK, but I've had stateside based ones state as recently as 6 years ago that I didn't need EMV versions of my cards when traveling overseas. "Per Visa/MC policy, the merchant must accept all cards..." doesn't work when you're staring down a merchant halfway around the world. For the record, I never had my card refused personally, but I could tell near the tail end before all US cards were EMV that some cashiers overseas were apprehensive about doing a swipe-and-sign transaction.

Originally Posted by D582
I did that as soon as it said Currently Available on the Chase Contactless sure. That’s what I did with my Freedom card and it worked no problem

My current CSR is plastic, so I’m wondering what the replacement will be.
I'll call later today. I remember when calling about Freedom and Freedom Unlimited that the person was initially adamant that not only 1) contactless cards weren't available but 2) one couldn't simply request an on demand replacement. Perhaps they've received enough requests by now that that's changed.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:22 am

I just signed up for my first Chase card which is the Freedom card and it arrived contactless and plastic and works fine contactless as well.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:27 am

I'll call later today. I remember when calling about Freedom and Freedom Unlimited that the person was initially adamant that not only 1) contactless cards weren't available but 2) one couldn't simply request an on demand replacement. Perhaps they've received enough requests by now that that's changed.
Why bother calling at all... just request it online.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:08 am

CSR Front:

CSR Back:

CSP:

Not my pics.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 27, 2019 at 4:19 pm Reason: Made pictures visible
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Might be able to get it shipped overnight if you call. AFAIK there's no way to do that online.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:43 pm

I called about contactless for my CSR. The rep was knowledgeable enough to recall when Chase had the old Blink contactless. That said, she wasn't completely certain a replacement card prior to expiration would have contactless, but she offered to order it anyway (which I did).
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:58 pm

There is no way of requesting an expedited replacement online? Also, if one selects damaged as a reason will a contactless version automatically arrive?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, if one selects damaged as a reason will a contactless version automatically arrive?
I'm fairly sure that'll be the case; the email I got after I called for CFU/Freedom indicated "damaged" as the reason.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm fairly sure that'll be the case; the email I got after I called for CFU/Freedom indicated "damaged" as the reason.
That matched my experience when requesting the CFU/Freedom when those became available.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:58 pm

There is no way of requesting an expedited replacement online? Also, if one selects damaged as a reason will a contactless version automatically arrive?
Thats my experience. I don’t think Chase is actually issuing non-Contactless versions anymore once they convert the card
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:02 pm

Thats my experience. I don’t think Chase is actually issuing non-Contactless versions anymore once they convert the card
That's my understanding. The rep that I spoke with tonight indicated that my card was "up for a refresh" this year since I applied in the initial batch of CSR applications in September 2016. The rep also said I would be receiving another card during my normal expiration date. I just checked my Freedom Unlimited and Freedom cards and sure enough their expiration dates are the old dates. I wonder why Chase simply doesn't issue the card with a new expiration date?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's my understanding. The rep that I spoke with tonight indicated that my card was "up for a refresh" this year since I applied in the initial batch of CSR applications in September 2016. The rep also said I would be receiving another card during my normal expiration date. I just checked my Freedom Unlimited and Freedom cards and sure enough their expiration dates are the old dates. I wonder why Chase simply doesn't issue the card with a new expiration date?
My contactless Freedom and CFU had new expiration dates, actually. I'd expect the same for the CSR too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.