Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by tmiw
Day 5 of being in Mexico and I can safely say that literally everywhere keeps their terminals not facing the customers, even stuff like iPP320s that's supposed to face the customer. It's like US EMV but on steroids. At least PIN preferring cards don't seem to be a hassle, probably because they're not completely unheard of.

Also, Sumesa's (grocery store chain) VX820s showed the contactless logo. However, I didn't see any obvious signage anywhere else in the brief time I was there, so I doubt any customers actually know the support exists.
I went to Tijuana a few weeks ago and noticed this myself. I used cash while I was there but I did see other people using cards and the terminals were always facing the cashier. EMV is typically enabled though.

Given the fact that they appear to do this all over the country, and even places like Walmart do this, I'd wonder if there is something in Mexican law or some bank standards that specify that the cashier has to initiate the card transaction, and the terminal is only passed to the customer if required.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HotelHacker
I went to Tijuana a few weeks ago and noticed this myself. I used cash while I was there but I did see other people using cards and the terminals were always facing the cashier. EMV is typically enabled though.

Given the fact that they appear to do this all over the country, and even places like Walmart do this, I'd wonder if there is something in Mexican law or some bank standards that specify that the cashier has to initiate the card transaction, and the terminal is only passed to the customer if required.
IIRC Mexico was basically 100% chip and signature until recently so it might be related to needing to check signatures (though I haven't noticed anyone paying attention to those).
Old May 14, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just in NYC over the weekend and as usual tried to use Apple Pay everywhere. It seemed to be having problems - almost invariably, the first time I held my phone to the terminal I got an error on the terminal to the effect of "card read error". It always worked the second time, however. Stores, taxis, everywhere.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I was just in NYC over the weekend and as usual tried to use Apple Pay everywhere. It seemed to be having problems - almost invariably, the first time I held my phone to the terminal I got an error on the terminal to the effect of "card read error". It always worked the second time, however. Stores, taxis, everywhere.
Sounds like the problem is your phone. I had to replace my phone at Apple when I had my iP6. I have the 8 now and it works fine.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Indeed, sounds like an issue with the device. My Gear S3 had the same issue and had to be replaced.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I was writing that, it occurred to me that the phone might be at fault. But I've never had any issue with it anywhere else. I'll keep using it and see how it works.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I was writing that, it occurred to me that the phone might be at fault. But I've never had any issue with it anywhere else. I'll keep using it and see how it works.
I've definitely run into that issue on occasion. It's usually because I tapped before they actually turned on the terminal, though, and not all of the time.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the new IKEA credit card supports contactless: https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/financ...formation.html

EDIT: looks like no FTF either per the app page. ^
Old May 15, 2018, 7:16 pm

Looks like the new IKEA credit card supports contactless: https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/financ...formation.html

EDIT: looks like no FTF either per the app page. ^
Wow very nice so I ran into an IKEA contactless test store with EMV back in December so I'm not that surprised to see contactless on their cards but with no FTF that is very nice indeed! Not sure how far they have rolled out chip+nfc at other IKEA stores yet.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Wow very nice so I ran into an IKEA contactless test store with EMV back in December so I'm not that surprised to see contactless on their cards but with no FTF that is very nice indeed! Not sure how far they have rolled out chip+nfc at other IKEA stores yet.
The San Diego one still didn't seem to have it a week or two before I left for Mexico, FWIW.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:15 pm

The San Diego one still didn't seem to have it a week or two before I left for Mexico, FWIW.
Sounds like Ikea haven't rolled it out to any other stores and I visited back in early December so that is like over 6 months ago. I know it can take a long time for certification but dang I do wonder what the hold up is.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like Ikea haven't rolled it out to any other stores and I visited back in early December so that is like over 6 months ago. I know it can take a long time for certification but dang I do wonder what the hold up is.
Maybe they're doing the "high risk store only" approach like many others?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:27 pm

Maybe they're doing the "high risk store only" approach like many others?
You'd think they would want to roll out contactless before EMV like Aldi has but they haven't done that. Ikea is definitely not against contactless at all since they have it in many other countries so something else is holding it up. The food section supports contactless although it prefers the Debit AID with FD130 equipment.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd think they would want to roll out contactless before EMV like Aldi has but they haven't done that. Ikea is definitely not against contactless at all since they have it in many other countries so something else is holding it up. The food section supports contactless although it prefers the Debit AID with FD130 equipment.
If they're not getting much demand for mobile wallet support at the regular registers, it might not be worth enabling it before EMV--especially since they'll need to support EMV contactless at the start.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like it's not just IKEA's card that has contactless. At least a few others from Comenity do as well:

https://d.comenity.net/ultamaterewardsmastercard/
https://c.comenity.net/meijermastercard/pub/Home.xhtml (I think someone mentioned this one before)
https://c.comenity.net/bjs/

Also, there appear to be Visa/MC/Discover branded Comenity cards that still don't have EMV, which makes me think that most of their cards will eventually end up supporting contactless as it comes time to redesign them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.