Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
So Square's newest POS seems to handle secondary authentication the best so far; it says "see phone for instructions" if you used face unlock instead of fingerprint/PIN.

Why Verifone and Ingenico can't do something similar, I have no idea.
I’ve seen verifone and ingenico terminis in the UK and Canada that’ll give the check device or enter device pin prompt.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:54 pm

Does anyone know what pos this came from: https://imgur.com/C5mLgnu I used an MC card in Google Pay but it shows -XXXXS for Swipe. This is at a local grocery store with VX805's with everything enabled so maybe its the system used at many asian grocery stores? The receipt looks nothing like I have seen before.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
NFC at Safeway today went through so fast that the checker expressed her amazement.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
NFC at Safeway today went through so fast that the checker expressed her amazement.
NFC at Safeway today didn’t work at all. The cashier made some remark about Safeway’s IT.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:38 pm

So Square's newest POS seems to handle secondary authentication the best so far; it says "see phone for instructions" if you used face unlock instead of fingerprint/PIN.

Why Verifone and Ingenico can't do something similar, I have no idea.
Is Face ID not considered CDCVM?
Old May 31, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Is Face ID not considered CDCVM?
Not on Android.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Scibot,

Check out NAU Grocery POS. I’m not sure but that’s a weird one.
Another one to check out is ITRETAIL

Those are what my local Asian stores use though the ITRETAIL guys use MX915 and the NAU one uses PAX PX7 Both with everything including signature capture enabled.

Another ITRETAIL uses Ingenico iPP320!

Another Asian store just went with plain Jane NCR like what Albertsons had before the switch.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was reading Google Pay cards with cardpeek tonight and it looks like I can't get it to send the issuer keys for the Chase Sapphire Reserve (didn't try any other Visa cards). I'm hoping that this is just some error on my end because otherwise Google Pay users in the US might not be able to use it on the Underground.

Also, the PayPal card doesn't seem to have any surprises; it has both the global and common AIDs.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:06 am

Not on Android.
That definitely makes sense for Android. I originally assumed you were talking about iOS.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
That definitely makes sense for Android. I originally assumed you were talking about iOS.
Yeah, Android's implementation isn't nearly as good. Example: https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/31/...d-by-printout/
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:55 pm

Well regional retailer Shopko now supports EMV contactless with CDCVM "Verified By PIN" on the receipt with all the EMV info listed and its very fast. What surprises me the most is that I'm fairly sure they use Toshiba software just like Kroger does. So it could be buggy but I have not run into it yet. Here is the picture of the MX925: https://imgur.com/FrVNbsH I think that Arby's may have settled on a system with EMV+NFC with their all in one HP as the pos hardware. I was a bit surprised by this but look here: https://imgur.com/hzPLRGN its just regular NCR with the Apple Pay logo but it works just fine. The contactless is MSD only though.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Well regional retailer Shopko now supports EMV contactless with CDCVM "Verified By PIN" on the receipt with all the EMV info listed and its very fast. What surprises me the most is that I'm fairly sure they use Toshiba software just like Kroger does. So it could be buggy but I have not run into it yet. Here is the picture of the MX925: https://imgur.com/FrVNbsH I think that Arby's may have settled on a system with EMV+NFC with their all in one HP as the pos hardware. I was a bit surprised by this but look here: https://imgur.com/hzPLRGN its just regular NCR with the Apple Pay logo but it works just fine. The contactless is MSD only though.
How recently did that Arby's location get that setup? I took a brief look and at least one nearby location isn't on the MC map.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Well it looks like my Cinnabon upgraded, and they replaced the Vx805 with the Ingenico now! EVERYTHING IS ENABLED! In fact the Vx805 is still connected just turned off! LOL!

Looks like they’re still doing iPads and Revel. One location went from Micros to this as well.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:42 pm

How recently did that Arby's location get that setup? I took a brief look and at least one nearby location isn't on the MC map.
Not quite sure but it had to be very recently as they did just appear on the contactless locator iirc. The MX915's has the new logos so we all know its a new MX915. That HP all in one system I believe is the Arby's corporate pos though as my local location has it but did not have MX915's the last time I went there but they could have got MX915's now. The company who owns the Arby's I visited today has many locations in many midwestern states so I bet most if not all have NCR with MX915's now as I see some of them on the ctls locator.
EDIT: An image from a different location from same owner dated December 2017: https://imgur.com/7ZfubDO so maybe not as new as I at first thought.

Last edited by scibot; Jun 1, 2018 at 11:41 pm
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Not quite sure but it had to be very recently as they did just appear on the contactless locator iirc. The MX915's has the new logos so we all know its a new MX915. That HP all in one system I believe is the Arby's corporate pos though as my local location has it but did not have MX915's the last time I went there but they could have got MX915's now. The company who owns the Arby's I visited today has many locations in many midwestern states so I bet most if not all have NCR with MX915's now as I see some of them on the ctls locator.
EDIT: An image from a different location from same owner dated December 2017: https://imgur.com/7ZfubDO so maybe not as new as I at first thought.
Yeah it might still be a while before all of them get it in that case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.