Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I recently did a product change of my Chase Marriott card to the new Premier Plus. Without having to do anything, the card image in Google Pay automatically updated to reflect the new card product.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Really annoying that Chase doesn't offer contactless on any of its cards. When I travel having the contactless option really helps. I have it on my HSBC card and all my American Express cards. Now if Chase would just get it together they could increase usage. Until then, they take a secondary place in my wallet when abroad.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Really annoying that Chase doesn't offer contactless on any of its cards. When I travel having the contactless option really helps. I have it on my HSBC card and all my American Express cards. Now if Chase would just get it together they could increase usage. Until then, they take a secondary place in my wallet when abroad.
Out of curiosity, where are you going (assuming international travel) where something like Apple Pay is difficult/impossible to use yet has no problem with contactless card taps?
Old May 20, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
Out of curiosity, where are you going (assuming international travel) where something like Apple Pay is difficult/impossible to use yet has no problem with contactless card taps?
We can't bash them for simply wanting to pull out their card and placing it near the terminal to pay.

If you've ever had a contactless card in your wallet, you'd realize how much easier and less awkward a contactless card is to use. It lets you skip the hassle of explaining to the cashier what you're doing.

They're right, Chase should issue contactless cards and stay ahead of the curve. Capital One, Paypal, AMEX, and Citi all have them.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The London Underground is a prime example -- using a contactless card is simple. Using the phone takes longer and you run the risk of battery failure mid trip. Contactless cards don't require on board power.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
We can't bash them for simply wanting to pull out their card and placing it near the terminal to pay.

If you've ever had a contactless card in your wallet, you'd realize how much easier and less awkward a contactless card is to use. It lets you skip the hassle of explaining to the cashier what you're doing.

They're right, Chase should issue contactless cards and stay ahead of the curve. Capital One, Paypal, AMEX, and Citi all have them.
My observation is that countries that have contactless cards generally have no issues with mobile wallets (even if residents of said country have to use a bank-specific app for it and not, say, Apple Pay). If there is a place where that's not true, that'd be something good to know. It's definitely not an attempt to bash OP.

Whether using a contactless card is more convenient than a mobile device when paying is another issue. I think if you have something like the Apple Watch, that's not the case. On the other hand, that's another device to buy and keep charged.

(On that note, the US might be the one place where using a mobile wallet is IMO less of a hassle than a contactless card, given how uncommon the latter are, how broken some terminals are with them and the number of places that hide their terminals from customers unless required to hand them over.)
Old May 20, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cjw2001
The London Underground is a prime example -- using a contactless card is simple. Using the phone takes longer and you run the risk of battery failure mid trip. Contactless cards don't require on board power.
In my experience both take the same amount of time on the Underground if you authenticate before reaching the gates. Battery also wasn't a huge issue for me, but then again, I didn't have signal underground and didn't bother setting up the Wi-Fi.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
(On that note, the US might be the one place where using a mobile wallet is IMO less of a hassle than a contactless card, given how uncommon the latter are, how broken some terminals are with them and the number of places that hide their terminals from customers unless required to hand them over.)
That goes back to one of my points - in the U.S, when you have your card in your hand, the cashier will press the "card" or "total" button to activate the machine. So having a contactless card gets rid of the friction one would face when using a mobile wallet like Apple Pay. One doesn't have to pause for a few seconds and then say, "oh, yeah, I'm paying with a card by the way."

If anything, the watch will create even more friction than the phone, because people see even less of that than paying by phone.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
That goes back to one of my points - in the U.S, when you have your card in your hand, the cashier will press the "card" or "total" button to activate the machine. So having a contactless card gets rid of the friction one would face when using a mobile wallet like Apple Pay. One doesn't have to pause for a few seconds and then say, "oh, yeah, I'm paying with a card by the way."

If anything, the watch will create even more friction than the phone, because people see even less of that than paying by phone.
Looks like you don't go to smaller stores that often. There are a lot in my experience that won't give you the terminal unless you tell them "Apple Pay". They're going to expect you to hand them the card otherwise, after which it will probably be inserted (it'll require explanation to get them to tap the card instead).

Also, Apple Pay has been around long enough that many of the larger stores will turn the terminal on if they see you trying to wave the phone over the terminal. Not to mention that increasing Quick Chip usage will probably result in not even needing to do that.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I have the Chase MIlage PLus card. I called about a year ago and asked when are they getting contactless? The agent told me never as that is fraud waiting to happen. She told me that people who have contactless can have their identity stolen quicker. I was a little stunned at that remark. Now I wonder why they let me put the card on Apple Pay.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Even worse is that they won't let the IHG Mastercard be added to phones.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Skymiles

Looks like you don't go to smaller stores that often. There are a lot in my experience that won't give you the terminal unless you tell them "Apple Pay". They're going to expect you to hand them the card otherwise, after which it will probably be inserted (it'll require explanation to get them to tap the card instead).

Also, Apple Pay has been around long enough that many of the larger stores will turn the terminal on if they see you trying to wave the phone over the terminal. Not to mention that increasing Quick Chip usage will probably result in not even needing to do that.
I agree. Even places that don’t support Apple Pay will now activate the terminal when I wave a phone as they think they take Apple Pay because Samsung worked.

Wow that was a mouthful. But it’s been a lot better and I default to waving my phone over even cashier facing terminals and 99% of the time they just go ahead and activate them and 95% of the time it works now.

Now that my transit agency finally has a mobile pass app for the bus and the train, my wallet needs to be reached for even lesser and lesser now. I love it. In fact the last few times I used my wallet was for restaurants go figure.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by powerlifter
I have the Chase MIlage PLus card. I called about a year ago and asked when are they getting contactless? The agent told me never as that is fraud waiting to happen. She told me that people who have contactless can have their identity stolen quicker. I was a little stunned at that remark. Now I wonder why they let me put the card on Apple Pay.
I suspect that isn't something they're officially supposed to say. This sentiment does seem to be somewhat common, however, which makes me think many of the major issuers might drag their feet on it.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I don't have Apple Pay I have an Android phone. So it's Google Pay for me

A few issues for me. In the past when I tried to use Google Pay I needed to enable NFC for it to work. I don't keep that enabled to save battery. It's more difficult for me to unlock the phone and change that setting than to pull out my cc and tap. I've also had places where my phone didn't work even when NFC was on (a cafe in Brussels was one spot) where I was able to tap and pay but couldn't get the phone to work. So I stopped using it.

As such, I forgot about the option to consider using my Chase card through my phone. I used to use Amex, but they have tap and pay now - so no need to have that card loaded. So I just loaded up my Chase UA card to Google Pay and set it as default. Will be interesting to see if it works abroad now (it should, where Google Pay is accepted). Still, that NFC toggle is annoying but assuming it works better than it did for me in Brussels it'll be worth the inconvenience as I prefer to earn UA miles for everyday spend while traveling Internationally.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I don't have Apple Pay I have an Android phone. So it's Google Pay for me

A few issues for me. In the past when I tried to use Google Pay I needed to enable NFC for it to work. I don't keep that enabled to save battery. It's more difficult for me to unlock the phone and change that setting than to pull out my cc and tap. I've also had places where my phone didn't work even when NFC was on (a cafe in Brussels was one spot) where I was able to tap and pay but couldn't get the phone to work. So I stopped using it.

As such, I forgot about the option to consider using my Chase card through my phone. I used to use Amex, but they have tap and pay now - so no need to have that card loaded. So I just loaded up my Chase UA card to Google Pay and set it as default. Will be interesting to see if it works abroad now (it should, where Google Pay is accepted). Still, that NFC toggle is annoying but assuming it works better than it did for me in Brussels it'll be worth the inconvenience as I prefer to earn UA miles for everyday spend while traveling Internationally.
The battery should last with NFC enabled as it doesn’t actually stay on unless it detects an NFC signal either from another phone or from a credit card terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.