Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Current welcome offer is 50,000 30,000 Crystal points with $5,000 $3,000 spending in the first 90 days. First annual fee not waived. (as of telephone call with bank employee 8/7/2019)

Past bonuses were:

***** #1502 - signup bonus 1/16/18 BUT ANNUAL FEE NOT WAIVED ******

100,000 points after spending $5,000 in first three months. Offer expires 30 December 2015. EXPIRED

A 70,000 points offer was offered back in March 2017 and expired March 31st, 2017. EXPIRED

The requirements for the application process varies from bank to bank based on various online data points collected from FlyerTalk, Doctor of Credit, etc.

Some banks require that you go into a branch and apply personally. Other banks want you to have another account open for 90 days before you can get this card. Some banks (if you already have a relationship with them) let you apply via mail. Sometimes you have to be a resident of the state they operate in, while some were able to get the card without living in those states. It is very much YMMV. You will need proof of income (W2, check stubs, etc). The only states City National Bank operates in are: NY, DE (only trust office, no go), DC, GA, TN, MN, NV & CA. The bank is looking for high net worth individuals, but that's not exactly consistent either.

The card has no foreign transactions fees and is fee-free the first year, then $400 annually.

Register your card for online access (cno.cnb.com). This changed on Sept 19 2019.
Register separately for the award page (www.cnbrewards.com).
Register for Visa Infinite info and access at https://myvisainfinite.com/cnb/en_us/home.html
Click "my info" to see details on points awarded.
Best* redemption found to date is $1,000 prepaid visa for 105K pts. It's now 125K pts for a $1,000 prepaid visa. Link to catalog
*(other than spending for flights etc. & getting 1.2 cents each in value)

To set-up spending alerts, create an account here : http://citynationalbank.digitalcardservice.com

Point redemptions for flights have been reported as being as high as 1.35cpp (see here) by calling the Concierge service at +1 800 595 8950 and having them book direct from airline website for you

Significant benefits:

$250 per calendar year airline incidental credit - works on AU card as well - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THE CREDIT WILL BE $350 PER ACCOUNT
$100 Global Entry fee credit - works on AU card as well Per DDResq post 842
Priority Pass lounge membership for up to 2 people. No fee for any number of guests, but lounge policy may limit the number of guests admitted.- STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 EACH ADDITIONAL GUEST BEYOND ACCOUNT HOLDER WILL BE CHARGED $32
12 GoGo inflight passes - create an account at myvisainfinite.com/cnb. Once the account is created, you enter, then search for GoGo passes. You then input your card number again, create a GoGo account if you don't have one, and the 12 passes post to it ready to be used when you fly again on a participating airline. - works on AU card as well
$100 off when you book a qualifying airline itinerary via visa discount air portal (https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/default.aspx - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THIS WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED AS A BENEFIT
$30 off GroundLink car service (works with AU cards as well) plus instant 15% off rides. There are $25 current user referrals to go for first.

Airline fees are reimbursed up to $250 per calendar year. Fees must be from domestic carriers. There is no need to declare a carrier, and fees can be reimbursed from multiple carriers. Partial Ts and Cs:

Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US Domestic Airline Carriers and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓® membership application fee.

What works
AA: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees ($150)
AA: e-Gift cards $250 including AUs (1x per card max 4)
AS: Award ticket fees, $16
AS: In flight food, entertainment.
AS: Premium Class Upgrade, $59

HA: Interisland Flight, $48.80
UA: award ticket fees, $51
WN: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees (limit unknown, but it's between $75 and $80 per transaction), Early Bird boarding fees ($15)
DL: Baggage fees
B6: $53.30 airfare

What doesn't work
AS: Award ticket fees, $130ish
DL: GC; PGGM (reports of not working since April/2016)
DL: Just about anything. Don't use on Delta
UA: MPX, Award Fees (~$170)
UA: Gift card registry (up to $75) (No longer working as of 11/25/17)
UA: Seat Selection Fee
WN: GC
EY: Award Fees
TW: Change fee
UO: Seat fee
AA: Award Fees/Taxes on an itinerary originating outside the US.

To Be Confirmed
UA: Award Redeposit Fees ($200)

Global Entry reimbursements: (works on AU also)

user - mnsweeps ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29336509-post1549.html )

Used mine and a AU card to register for GE for in laws
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00

Credit posted today for both cards.
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00

In 2016, 2017 AND 2018 airline incidental credits for transactions on-or-after January 1st did not start posting until the third week of January. In 2019 they started posting on Jan 11th.

For further information, see this

STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 there are going to be major changes to this card, these being:[/s]
  • $350 airline incidental credit per account (was $250 per AU)
    • $95 Annual Fee per AU
      • $32 per guest using PriorityPass (used to be free & unlimited)
        • Elimination of $100 Visa Air Discount Benefit
          • Groceries and Gas only earn 1x (used to be 3x)

Sources:

discussion starting here

https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...ewards2020.pdf
https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...rystal2020.pdf

Print Wikipost

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by sullim4
My guess - they turned it off and will only credit customers who complain. That's what they mean by "manual".

I have 2x $29 and 2x $39 charges from Alaska Airlines on this card right now awaiting reimbursement - these are seat selection fees so as I understand it, they are legitimate fees to be reimbursed (and have been in the past without any issue). It's been almost two weeks and no dice yet.
I would think they mean 50, 75, 100, 150, etc. by the even dollar amount. But this to me would be an obvious approve and pay. This is going to get annoying.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I would think they mean 50, 75, 100, 150, etc. by the even dollar amount. But this to me would be an obvious approve and pay. This is going to get annoying.
I can easily hit those round amounts with purchases on airplanes for food and drinks. If this theory is correct, CNB can get ....ed.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
That is what I said. Are you serious? I don't think I have ever had a charge that was not an even dollar amount. So I called another banker I know in
CA and asked if any of it was true and was told, "A lot of bad things are going on with that card, RBC doesn't like the losses and wants the portfolio downsized." I was told that it might be in my best interest to look at the card from a standpoint of prestige and the PP. Nope, I have better options for PP and I am not interested in prestige. I quit doing prestige when I cancelled my Centurion.
I think their bankers got stuck with tough one to explain. Some of those guys understood, and explained that the card was a loss leader, and used it open up relationships.

But now that the card has basically been torched, the banking relationships are getting hurt too.

In reality, most consumers interact with their 'bank' via their card just about every day. That's the front face of the bank for many of us. Normally banking services all running on auto pilot behind the scenes. Maybe we get some cash before a trip, or visit a safe deposit box a couple times a year. But other than that, the web site and credit card are the majority of our banking experience.

CNB has blown up those aspects. It puts their relationship bankers in a bad spot.

Once all my travel booked on the old Visa Infinite is complete, I'll close our downgraded Visa Signature as well as the affiliated checking / CD etc. Kind of sad it came to that, our contact there was responsive and knowledgeable.
milesforhire and AlertPenguin like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Giuseppe Benvenuto
Just so I understand.... The working theory is that, in an effort to save money, CNB (the 38th largest bank in the United States) is now paying staff to manually review each and every transaction coded to a domestic airline? All this in the hopes of spotting some AA gift card transactions? I would have to imagine that CNB would be spending more in man-hours on such a monumental project then they would potentially save.
Most likely they only have to do this for a month or two. They can look at what their travel credit experience was like over the last few years, and likely much was in Jan/Feb, and task some staff with a manual review of transactions that might have otherwise triggered the credit.

I would observe that the old Ritz Carlton card, which in some ways the CNB Crystal has always felt like it was templated off of, also had a manual process where people had to call in to get their $300 air incidental credit applied to their account as they incurred qualifying expenses.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
So no one here has gotten a single charge reimbursed in 2020? Have a $100 AA from 1/13 that obviously isn't, wish I read up a little first. I can sell it at a $15 loss, but worried about what to use credits for. Paid $400 fee last September, tried to get it reversed, to no avail.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman
So no one here has gotten a single charge reimbursed in 2020? Have a $100 AA from 1/13 that obviously isn't, wish I read up a little first. I can sell it at a $15 loss, but worried about what to use credits for. Paid $400 fee last September, tried to get it reversed, to no avail.
Maybe we should all file BBB complaints about the AF
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Banker just told me that they are blocking all reimbursements and manually looking at them, so it will take a while. They are looking to see who abused the program last year. (ABUSED? REALLY?) Those that abused are not going to receive reimbursement this year for any amount. They are also not going to reimbursement any suspected GC or other charges that do not meet the the exact wording. I asked how that would work and the response was any even dollar amounts will be denied. Now I wait to see if it holds true in the long run or I may just cancel.
So basically anyone here isn't going to get anything? Not even "legit" reimbursements?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:29 pm

Same circumstances as you, posted end of Sept but I didn't try getting it reversed since not many other people had much luck.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:58 pm

I just read the terms & conditions...posting them here if you want a refresh.

"Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US-Domestic Airline Carriers (each an "Eligible Airline") on domestic itineraries and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓® membership application fee1 transactions, and may vary depending on the airline.

Airline ticket purchases, seat fees (including upgrade and preferred seat charges), standby fees, carry-on and checked pet fees, mileage point purchases, mileage points, transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, award tickets and fees incurred with airline alliance partners do not qualify as Qualifying Airline Purchases."

Another thing to note...they are willing and able to wait 6-8 weeks to reimburse the item:
"Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after a Qualifying Airline Purchase is charged for a statement credit to be posted to the Account. Until such time as the statement credit has posted to the Account, the Account holder is responsible for the payment of all Qualifying Airline Purchases that have been charged to the Account and appear on the billing statement."
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
Maybe we should all file BBB complaints about the AF
this should go to CFPb
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4
My guess - they turned it off and will only credit customers who complain. That's what they mean by "manual".

I have 2x $29 and 2x $39 charges from Alaska Airlines on this card right now awaiting reimbursement - these are seat selection fees so as I understand it, they are legitimate fees to be reimbursed (and have been in the past without any issue). It's been almost two weeks and no dice yet.
Seat selection fees are not reimbursable, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

One guy posted that he had a Global Entry charged reimbursed on 1/4, otherwise it doesn't seem that anyone else has had anything come through.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by ValueAdd82
Seat selection fees are not reimbursable, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

One guy posted that he had a Global Entry charged reimbursed on 1/4, otherwise it doesn't seem that anyone else has had anything come through.
GE is not processed with the same method as Travel Credits, so the GE should be easy to get reimbursed.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:35 pm

GE is not processed with the same method as Travel Credits, so the GE should be easy to get reimbursed.
That’s a fair point. It’s an entirely different benefit from the travel credit.

So no, not a single person has been reimbursed so far.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:28 pm

I'm sure someone from CNB / RBC is reading this thread daily.

Was fun while it lasted and was a really good all purpose card for our household.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Yeah, how disappointing indeed. Will be canceling later this year...another one bites the dust, sad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.