FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1577043-barclays-arrival-plus-now-70k-w-5k-spend.html)

f0xx May 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22865230)
How upset are you that you don't have this card right now?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22866000)
Just approved! :) Very excited to get on the Boost action and pay for my Disney World tickets over NYE this year. I've been holding out, but I'm glad I did!

Lucky ^

Superorb May 14, 2014 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 22865610)
I'm a noob the the Chip + world, but with my limited understanding, this isn't a problem-solver, really. It'll make some clerks more comfortable, but the PIN part won't generally come into play.

I'm sure there's someone here with more understanding of the situation, but the gas station/train station problem in Europe will still be a problem with this card, AFAIK.

I don't get why US banks don't want to do away with the 'signature' part, but there's some good reason for it, since they almost all still keep it.

If it is in fact PIN enabled it would be no different from the native cards in Europe which would be a big deal.

LoneTree May 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 22866383)
If it is in fact PIN enabled it would be no different from the native cards in Europe which would be a big deal.

Not quite true if it can't do offline PIN. The online PIN backup really only comes into play for the online terminals that don't have signature/No Verification capability. Which isn't many.

zipo May 14, 2014 9:08 pm

Is the pin and chip, really that much better?

Khunboot May 14, 2014 9:45 pm

Has anyone had any experience with LMTclub (last minute travel club) posting as eligible for rewards?

josephstern May 15, 2014 3:36 am

Originally Posted by zipo (Post 22866508)

Ever been stuck in a European train station with a pile of cards and cash and a kiosk that takes neither, only true chip and pin?

LoneTree May 15, 2014 5:50 am

Originally Posted by zipo (Post 22866508)

It's usually quicker than a signature transaction, and I appreciate the extra security it provides.

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 22867526)
Ever been stuck in a European train station with a pile of cards and cash and a kiosk that takes neither, only true chip and pin?

Or a grocery store self-checkout that won't accept signature without stopping the line and requiring a manager.

cdancer20 May 15, 2014 6:43 am

Originally Posted by hitman1420 (Post 22866085)
Doesn't work for me, :/ Will have to call in to see if I can argue the point, since mine was definitely a tourist attraction.

It hasn't worked for me either but I was wondering if I could call in and ask for them to manually add it. This place only sells tickets to tourist attractions.

intltravel90 May 15, 2014 7:02 am

Card downgrade bonus?

Does anyone know if one is able to get the 20,000 point signup bonus upon downgrading the card? If not, can a no-fee card be opened concurrently and the credit transferred?

I reviewed the other thread to see if there was a clear answer, but I did not see one.

cdancer20 May 15, 2014 8:44 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22864931)
Hmm do you think "RECREATION SERVICES--NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED" could be argued to fall under "Tourist Attractions"? It's a 3rd party ticket agency for theme park and attraction tickets.

Originally Posted by hitman1420 (Post 22866085)
Doesn't work for me, :/ Will have to call in to see if I can argue the point, since mine was definitely a tourist attraction.

I just got off the phone with them. Luckily this changed happened just in time b/c my 120 days on this purchase expires in a couple of days lol. Anyways, he asked me what they were for (amusement park tickets) and put in a case number. So they will investigate it and let me know within 7-10 biz days. Better than a straight out no so I'm hopeful.

Porcile May 15, 2014 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ashap (Post 22865834)
Same question here. I hope they continue giving the 0% until our first year is up. I stuck an expensive cruise on mine while I work to get the points to pay for it. If they take away the 0% early that will really mess up my plans.

Pure speculation on my part--but I would imagine the answer has to be yes they would keep the 0% APR. I can't imagine they would take away 0% apr unless you explicitly agreed to a change in terms. But might be worth investigating especially if you specifically request the upgrade to the PLUS.

AND, the links to non-plus Barclays Arrival still offer the 0% APR, so it doesn't look like they have phased it out yet entirely. But yeah not sure what happens when you make the switch.

cdancer20 May 15, 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Porcile (Post 22868821)
Pure speculation on my part--but I would imagine the answer has to be yes they would keep the 0% APR. I can't imagine they would take away 0% apr unless you explicitly agreed to a change in terms. But might be worth investigating especially if you specifically request the upgrade to the PLUS.

AND, the links to non-plus Barclays Arrival still offer the 0% APR, so it doesn't look like they have phased it out yet entirely. But yeah not sure what happens when you make the switch.

I agree. The offer you signed up for is 0% and the card automatically changed over the Plus. It says Plus on my acct now and they say Plus when I call. Yet, I haven't seen anything of losing my 0% intro APR.

trikotret May 15, 2014 9:52 am

Barclays Arrival/Arrival+ Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

anyone receive the new card yet? :)

ashap May 15, 2014 9:57 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22868988)
I agree. The offer you signed up for is 0% and the card automatically changed over the Plus. It says Plus on my acct now and they say Plus when I call. Yet, I haven't seen anything of losing my 0% intro APR.

The fact we haven't seen anything about the 0% continuing makes me think it will just be grandfathered in, but since we became eligible immediately for all of the new Arrival+ perks I'm a little concerned.

I guess time will tell. Even the CSR's don't really know (shocker!) people are posting all over the place your new card will ship later in May / early June, others are saying only new card when yours expires.

Way to communicate Barclays!!

cdancer20 May 15, 2014 10:05 am

Originally Posted by ashap (Post 22869184)
The fact we haven't seen anything about the 0% continuing makes me think it will just be grandfathered in, but since we became eligible immediately for all of the new Arrival+ perks I'm a little concerned.

I guess time will tell. Even the CSR's don't really know (shocker!) people are posting all over the place your new card will ship later in May / early June, others are saying only new card when yours expires.

Way to communicate Barclays!!

A link on my acct said "Your new card is on way! ...receive mid-June". Plus my acct still says "Standard purchase APR 0.0%". I think that people are overreacting to this. You signed an agreement during application for 0.0% APR for the first year. Taking it away would be a big issue for the credit card. It's not like removing a perk such as adding a spending cap.