FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1577043-barclays-arrival-plus-now-70k-w-5k-spend.html)

Barclay123 May 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Barclaycard Arrival is changing, the no fee version will remain the same however the annual fee version will be known as Barclaycard Arrival + MasterCard. Some big changes includes additional categories like theme parks, museums, tourist attractions, taxis, limos, buses, ferries and more for redemptions. The 90 day limit will extend to 120. The card will have a brand new design in blue featuring EMV chip. All existing fee accounts will be issued new plastics as of May 28th featuring chip and new card design. All existing no fee accounts will be issued a new plastic with chip upon card expiration or card replacement request made on or after 5/28. You can apply for the new card as of 5/14-5/16, the date may change. ;)

maddie5218 May 13, 2014 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Barclay123 (Post 22860983)
Barclaycard Arrival is changing, the no fee version will remain the same however the annual fee version will be known as Barclaycard Arrival + MasterCard. Some big changes includes additional categories like theme parks, museums, tourist attractions, taxis, limos, buses, ferries and more for redemptions. The 90 day limit will extend to 120. The card will have a brand new design in blue featuring EMV chip. All existing fee accounts will be issued new plastics as of May 28th featuring chip and new card design. All existing no fee accounts will be issued a new plastic with chip upon card expiration or card replacement request made on or after 5/28. You can apply for the new card as of 5/14-5/16, the date may change. ;)

This is great! Source? I just was approved yesterday, I wonder if my card will come like this or it'll just send a new one then.

Barclay123 May 14, 2014 1:32 am

Originally Posted by maddie5218 (Post 22861068)
This is great! Source? I just was approved yesterday, I wonder if my card will come like this or it'll just send a new one then.

It's not clear whether you will be part of the new acquisitions or existing card campaign. You may get the new card since so close to launch but if not, then after 5/28 you will be reissued a new plastic. Source? Nothing I can link to.

Nick92 May 14, 2014 4:07 am

I see the new card is live and a new design :o New chip too!

LoneTree May 14, 2014 5:33 am

Can you tell us if this is a true Chip and PIN card? (Default/Priority Chip and PIN, not just fallback if Chip and Signature fails.)

Many of us are hoping for a card from a major issuer that defaults to Chip and PIN in the USA. It seems none do that yet. (Maybe Chase soon?)

ashap May 14, 2014 5:47 am

Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

Just logged into my account and saw the changed card! I knew if I came on here someone would know what happened :)

Changes sound good!

ashap May 14, 2014 5:52 am

Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

I'm also seeing that the amount of time I have left to redeem older purchases on this card has increased.

My 3.19 purchase now shows a 120 day redemption time instead of 90 days.

I know this change was for the new purchases, but I didn't think our old purchases would be elevated to the new redemption schedule!

ccohen322 May 14, 2014 6:07 am

Ohhh, I'm traveling abroad soon and want that EMV!
Hope I can get the new card by early June...

aimorris May 14, 2014 6:15 am

Any chance of a new bonus to go along with the new version of the card? I'd love to get this card but I can't hit multiple 3k requirements in one round of applications.

Barclay123 May 14, 2014 6:18 am

Some additional notes...the card is depicted as World Elite but we were told only select accounts would be upgraded based on spend, so this is strange they are offering it for applications. The conversions were suppose to take place on 5/28, letters went out on Monday and an email will be sent on 5/20 to notify customers of the upcoming changes. So it is also strange they updated the online so soon before anyone got notice. This will just burden support channels with card replacement requests for people wanting the chip now and calls asking about the changes. So obviously Barclays is lousy with communication and the various teams don't communicate with each other because this rollout is happening very early and completely out or the specified and trained order. Another botched roll out just like Hawaiian Airlines :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22861951)
Can you tell us if this is a true Chip and PIN card? (Default/Priority Chip and PIN, not just fallback if Chip and Signature fails.)

Many of us are hoping for a card from a major issuer that defaults to Chip and PIN in the USA. It seems none do that yet. (Maybe Chase soon?)

It's Chip & Signature with PIN, just like Hawaiian Airlines.

Originally Posted by ccohen322 (Post 22862068)
Ohhh, I'm traveling abroad soon and want that EMV!
Hope I can get the new card by early June...

Mail date set for 5/28 and 7-10 business days after for receipt.

dukerau May 14, 2014 6:43 am

This is awesome. Online my card appears as the Plus version now, and after I read your synopsis, I checked my reward redemption options and I can now indeed redeem for taxi, Uber, and tourist attractions (Empire State Building to be specific), none of which were redeemable yesterday.

st7n May 14, 2014 7:02 am

Really excited about the new card. Hate that I'll actually be out of the country for the 5/28 issuing, but looking forward to picking it up when I get back. My favorite card just got even better!

cdancer20 May 14, 2014 7:16 am

Oh now they want to add theme parks?? (After I spent $600 at Disney earlier this year. LOL). It's still cool though and nice changes.

Just logged into my Barclay acct and they have already changed the Arrival image on my acct page. It's pretty. Hehe.

exarkun May 14, 2014 7:47 am

Originally Posted by ashap (Post 22861994)
Just logged into my account and saw the changed card! I knew if I came on here someone would know what happened :)

Changes sound good!

Same here.

luggagebin May 14, 2014 8:00 am

While awesome, I would of appreciated a heads up from the Barclays team, just for the sake of communication. Per usual, I get more info on FT than the actual institution :)

Still, very excited for the new features. Taxi/uber/limo and tourist attractions will be a big plus. Really hope I can redeem for my commuter train/transit costs -- that would be huge. Like if your employer reimburses transit already, then double reimbursement? :D

cdancer20 May 14, 2014 8:06 am

Originally Posted by ashap (Post 22862009)
I'm also seeing that the amount of time I have left to redeem older purchases on this card has increased.

My 3.19 purchase now shows a 120 day redemption time instead of 90 days.

I know this change was for the new purchases, but I didn't think our old purchases would be elevated to the new redemption schedule!

Redeem for travel statement credits, your best value, starting at 2,500 miles for $25 toward travel purchases within the last 120 days. Don't have a recent travel purchase? You can redeem for cash back statement credits, gift cards and merchandise.

However when I just logged into my acct, my redeem travel section was missing. I guess they are updating it. I only had options for cashback, merchandise, and gift cards.

AnitaBryant63 May 14, 2014 10:12 am

Get it again

I originally opened the Barclays Arrival MC in April 2013. For some stupid reason, I closed it this year, March 2014. Not one of my best decisions. I'd like to get it again. If I apply again, will I get the sign up bonus? What're the details on getting this card again? Is this considered a new product?

alrvd83 May 14, 2014 10:16 am

Barclaycard Arrival, now with EMV!!! pic inside

a picture of the new card. What will be the new spend categories?...

See image below. :D
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...04-barclay.png

alrvd83 May 14, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks for moving my post...I literally missed this thread right below :)

Superorb May 14, 2014 10:26 am

This is awesome, and it definitely makes the card worth the annual fee now compared to before where I was likely going to cancel before the AF posted. I can now redeem 120 days out as well :)

Hopefully the EMV will be Chip & PIN and not just Chip & Signature for our 4 week trip overseas this summer.

cdancer20 May 14, 2014 10:37 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22862615)
Redeem for travel statement credits, your best value, starting at 2,500 miles for $25 toward travel purchases within the last 120 days. Don't have a recent travel purchase? You can redeem for cash back statement credits, gift cards and merchandise.

However when I just logged into my acct, my redeem travel section was missing. I guess they are updating it. I only had options for cashback, merchandise, and gift cards.

I can see my travel tag now. Even the picture on it is different and it says "Best value".

uneeq May 14, 2014 10:46 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83 (Post 22863359)
a picture of the new card. What will be the new spend categories?...

As Barclay123 mentioned above, it seems like only some of the cards are getting changed to World Elite from World. Mine also shows the same picture as yours on my accounts page without the silver MC logo, and only the World logo, does that mean we're not getting World Elite?

Would be severely disappointed if that were the case. Was just about to make a spot in the wallet for the Arrival+, but World/WE MC distinction leaves a bad taste and makes me want to stick it back in the drawer.

mia May 14, 2014 10:51 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83 (Post 22863375)
T... missed this thread right below :)

Scroll back to post 1299 to read what is known about the refreshed card.

alrvd83 May 14, 2014 10:51 am

It would be cool if they added a category that gave us 3 miles per $...I am not sure what they offer to make it that more attractive, but that would sure be awesome.

Autolycus May 14, 2014 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Barclay123 (Post 22862117)
Another botched roll out just like Hawaiian Airlines :rolleyes:

You mean like me having a Hawaiian Airlines CC account showing in my Barclay account list even though the account was closed with BoA months before the conversion?

Mail date set for 5/28 and 7-10 business days after for receipt.
Any way for an existing cardholder to get the EMV card by next Tuesday (5/20)? I'm going on vacation on the 21st and would very much like to have a Chip+PIN option.

josephstern May 14, 2014 11:09 am

The full announcement is here:

http://www.barclaycardtravel.com/t5/...nt/ba-p/646292

Not PIN priority.

jsmithj88 May 14, 2014 11:14 am

Originally Posted by jsmithj88 (Post 22838252)
i read on another forum that u can cash out barclay points at the 2.2% rate by buying a refundable ticket from southwest. then using the points to cover the cost. and lastly refunding the tickets. has anyone have any knowledge on this or something similar?
if the money is refunded back into the barclay CC, would the points also be refunded as well??

any thoughts?

dukerau May 14, 2014 11:16 am

I've updated the Wiki with a new section - "Successful - Plus Only." Since they are allowing retroactive redemptions, we should get some good data on charges that were not redeemable on the Arrival card but are redeemable on Arrival Plus. I moved 3 of my reported charges from Unsuccessful to Successful - Plus Only.

teddy25 May 14, 2014 11:19 am

I got some travel expenses manually redeemed. After the card update, those charges now can be redeemed again on the website. It is also letting me redeem against the annual fee, which was just waived. Lol

I guess ill cash them out.

Does anyone know how long it take for the credit to show up?

Jr train and Tokyo airport bus

alrvd83 May 14, 2014 11:26 am

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 22863509)
As Barclay123 mentioned above, it seems like only some of the cards are getting changed to World Elite from World. Mine also shows the same picture as yours on my accounts page without the silver MC logo, and only the World logo, does that mean we're not getting World Elite?

Would be severely disappointed if that were the case. Was just about to make a spot in the wallet for the Arrival+, but World/WE MC distinction leaves a bad taste and makes me want to stick it back in the drawer.

World Elite vs. World...what is the main difference? :confused:

TMKTakot May 14, 2014 11:29 am

New Redemption Opportunity

Looks like Travelzoo purchases are now qualified as "Travel" for redemptions regardless of what you purchased. I purchased a voucher for wine about a month & 1/2 ago that is now showing up where it wasn't before.

trikotret May 14, 2014 11:36 am

Barclaycard Arrival/Arrival+ Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

doesn't make sense to only convert selected accounts for elite while new applicants can apply for the elite MasterCard. since elite MasterCard is available for all new applicants, existing customers should get it

f0xx May 14, 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83 (Post 22863751)
World Elite vs. World...what is the main difference? :confused:

http://www.outandout.net/mastercard-...lite-benefits/

Barclay123 May 14, 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Autolycus (Post 22863630)
You mean like me having a Hawaiian Airlines CC account showing in my Barclay account list even though the account was closed with BoA months before the conversion?

Any way for an existing cardholder to get the EMV card by next Tuesday (5/20)? I'm going on vacation on the 21st and would very much like to have a Chip+PIN option.

I mean like no communication from corp lol

You can call and request an overnight card for $29.95, 50/50 it's the new EMV card. The info states they won't issue them until 5/28 but the option to request EMV is present.

cdancer20 May 14, 2014 11:41 am

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 22863713)
I got some travel expenses manually redeemed. After the card update, those charges now can be redeemed again on the website. It is also letting me redeem against the annual fee, which was just waived. Lol

I guess ill cash them out.

Does anyone know how long it take for the credit to show up?

Jr train and Tokyo airport bus

Plz PM any tips you may have for getting the AF waived. I've heard nothing but negative results. However, I do find it a nice touch that you can redeem against the AF. I was already thinking about keeping this card since I use it for my main purchases and all these Amex GC Boost purchases are nice. So to be able to just buy a couple of GCs and use that to redeem against the fee is a great thing.

Barclay123 May 14, 2014 11:47 am

Originally Posted by trikotret (Post 22863803)
doesn't make sense to only convert selected accounts for elite while new applicants can apply for the elite MasterCard. since elite MasterCard is available for all new applicants, existing customers should get it

All current Barclaycard Arrival MasterCard fee accounts will be converted to the re-launched Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard card product.

A segment of current Barclaycard Arrival MasterCard fee accounts have been identified as eligible for an upgrade to World Elite MasterCard status. This upgrade will apply to select and targeted accounts, without exception. There is no way to initiate a request for this upgrade offer.

New account acquisitions: Beginning May 14th, Barclaycard Arrival Plus will be available for new acquisitions. This card will be communicated as a World Elite MasterCard product however only eligible applicants will be issued this specific version of the product. Less qualified applicants will instead be approved for a Platinum MasterCard or World MasterCard product. There are no Barclaycard product differences between the three card association levels and the only difference are MasterCard based benefits and services.

trikotret May 14, 2014 11:50 am

so spending 15k month not good enough for them lol. oh well

cdancer20 May 14, 2014 11:50 am

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 22863509)

This may just be a generic picture for all accts. I don't know that anyone will know for sure until it comes in the mail.

Autolycus May 14, 2014 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Barclay123 (Post 22863829)
I mean like no communication from corp lol

You can call and request an overnight card for $29.95, 50/50 it's the new EMV card. The info states they won't issue them until 5/28 but the option to request EMV is present.

Thanks for the info! I don't think it's worth $30 to take my chance, so I'll just cross my fingers that my Chip + Signature only cards will be sufficient for this trip.

I do appreciate and look forward to the updated product though.

trikotret May 14, 2014 11:53 am

I actually requested a replacement and received a secure message that i will receive my arrival plus MasterCard in 7 days. so I assume it's the new card since they named it by that