Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Old May 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
This thread is a continuation of the discussion posted here from 12.08.2012 - 5.13.2014: Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.05%/2.1% travel credits)

Current offer for Arrival Plus is 70K pts w/$5K spend & AF waived 1st year.

Barclays says that you earn miles but youre actually earning cash back with the card since you cant transfer your Barclays miles to airlines. But you can redeem them for statement credits at 0.5 cents per mile (poor value) or 1.05 cent per mile if you redeem for travel.

You get 5% of your miles back if you redeem for travel, so 40,000 miles gets you $400 towards travel and 2,000 miles back (5% of your miles back). You must have at least 10K 'miles' in your acct if you wish to redeem as a travel credit. 2500 'miles' can be redeemed for a stmt credit though.

If you want, you can redeem miles to cover a portion of a travel charge instead of the full amount. For example, if you have 80k miles and a $740 airline charge, you can choose to redeem just 70k to cover $700 of the charge.

You earn 2X miles on all purchases, so youre effectively getting 2% cash back for each purchase. But since you get 5% of your miles back when you redeem for travel, this is effectively a 2.1% cash back card when miles are redeemed for travel.

This makes the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard (with 2.1% cash back for travel) better than the Capital One Venture card which offers only 2 miles per $1 or 2% cash back, only if you spend $30k+ per year after first year, because Arrival Plus AF is $30 more than Venture.

If you receive a call from 302-255-8000 after applying for this or any other Barclay's card, it is a legit number! You can also call them back directly at 866-951-1437.

Very Old Wiki Info ---
Regarding official company representatives
Note that there is an official procedure for company representatives to register themselves with the FlyerTalk Community Director and verify their credentials. When that process is completed, the username will turn green in posts, rather than the standard blue.

Anyone who does not appear in green has not followed this procedure. Those posts should be considered the same as any other user's posts. It is important to remember that the moderation team does not generally monitor the veracity of any posts; it is up to you to judge a poster's content and history yourself.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

="3"%Successful
Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $100 charge for 10K mile redemption
  • 9/11 Museum and Memorial - NYC
  • Accuracy Limo (via Square, Salt Lake City, UT limo service)
  • ACE Adventures (West Virginia White Water Rafting), had to call in to get it processed manually
  • agoda.com
  • AirAsia Flights (airasia.com)
  • airbnb bookings
  • airbnb GC purchased on United MPX site
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Amazing Bike Tours Thailand
  • AA Gift Card
  • American Airlines telephone booking (including booking fee)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Arrival+ Annual Fee
  • Argosy Cruises (SEA, classified as RECREATION)
  • Autoeurope.com
  • BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) San Francisco
  • Balloons over Bagan
  • Bieber bus tickets
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • Burj Khalifa observation decks
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Carmel Limo (NYC car service)
  • carrentals.com
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Chinese Visa Application Fees (had to call in. Credit showed up in account in 2 business days. See Post 912 and 921 for details)
  • City Taxi (Tampa)
  • CostcoTravel
  • Cotai Waterjet (Hong Kong)
  • CT Limo
  • Daily Getaways purchase of HHonors points
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Disneyland Hong Kong (Manual redemption required)
  • DriveNow - all locations in EU/US
  • Dublin Bus Tours Hop on, Hop off (Green)
  • Eiffel Tower (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • Enterprise rent-a-car, paid at the counter when returning the car (used Chase United Visa initially for primary coverage, but asked to pay with a different card when returning the car)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • Europcar.com
  • Expedia.com
  • Hertz Rent-a-Car (booked on hertz.com)
  • Hong Kong Airport Express Pass
  • Hotel bookings through Rocketmiles (even refundable bookings or those tied to other promotions)
  • Hotels.com
  • Hotwire
  • ItaliaRail (online booking agency for TrenItalia)
  • LA Swamp Tours, Steamboat cruise, Haunted History Tours (New Orleans)
  • Lahaina-Maui Ferry Tickets - booked online at www.go-lanai.com
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
    Las Vegas show tickets booked online (Mandalay Bay Box office)
  • Limo Charges - Two limo charges that I made in March PRIOR the the recent changes to what qualifies as "Travel" showed up as eligible travel charges. I guess with the changes to what's covered, and for how long, these got pulled back in.
  • Lyft
  • M-Life advance reservation deposit
  • Montway Auto Transport (deposit)
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • New York Waterways Ferry (between NJ and NYC)
  • Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • Norwegian Cruise Line (deposits and payments)
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • NYC Taxi
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • ORCA card for Seattle area tolls (considered the very typical GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Paris RATP Metro/VATP (buy 10-ticket pack for >$25 and save cost)
  • PeruRail (Machu Picchu train)
  • PMRF Beach Cottages (Kauai)
  • Priceline
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • rail europe on Travelocity
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Safari Helicopter Tour (Kauai)
  • Sandals.com resort booking (unique vacations) was not redeemable last year. Is redeemable online now
  • SEASTREAK LLC - NYC (Commuter Ferri)
  • Singapore Cable Car
  • Southwest $100 gift card
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • Spirit of NY Dinner Cruises - www.spiritcruises.com, which have cruises in several other cities as well.
  • Starwood Vacation Ownership (SPG Timeshare) Westin Princeville Kauai (coded as Timeshare).
  • St Pauls Cathedral (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE), Worked in Cancun.
  • Taxi in Zrich
  • Top of the Rock tickets - NYC
  • Trenitalia Online
  • Trimet (Portland OR public transportation)
  • Trip Advisor Rental
  • TurboJET (Hong Kong)
  • Uber
  • Uber GC through MPX $100 (re-confirmed 11/1/2018, using Arrival Premier)
  • United Baggage Fee
  • Universal Studio Orlando tickets (had to call in)
  • Viator (sightseeing/tours)
  • Victoria Clipper (passenger ferry)
  • Wedding at the Stratosphere's Chapel in the Clouds (billed as stratosphere)
  • Windsor Castle (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Wine purchases from different wine tasting rooms
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) - [[COLOR="Red"]reconfirmed 10/5/15]
  • Zipcar

="3"%Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 $100 cannot be reimbursed)
    Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Broadmoor Hotel Food and Beverage (Colorado Spring, CO)
  • budgetair.co.uk (charged >$200)
  • Car2go
  • De Palm Tours, Aruba (classified as Recreation. Called Barclay twice.)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Evan Evans Sightseeing tours (UK based)- http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk
  • Fastrak tag autoload for San Francisco bridge tolls ($25)
  • Global Entry
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Homeaway.com, posts as real estate. Barclays said they'd make a one-time exception but future purchases won't count as travel.
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Hotels.com Gift Card
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • Malaysian Overnight Train KUL-SIN (ktmb.com.my)
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Parking at DCA - $136 (7/9/19)
  • Parking at HSV ($96 in parking at Huntsville International Airport)
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at LAS
  • Parking at LGA $204
  • Parking at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Space Needle and Chihuly Garden Tickets
  • Starwood points purchase (BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Taxi Magic /Curb- Taxi service
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • UBER eGift Card (bought through the UBER app) for $100 - Not coded as "travel," so couldn't redeem online and they wouldn't do it over the phone, either.

Airlines that post purchases of multiple tickets as one amount or split them:

One Amount
BA (USD based award ticket)

Multiple Transactions
UA (award)
DL (award)

Print Wikipost

Old May 13, 2014, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Barclaycard Arrival is changing, the no fee version will remain the same however the annual fee version will be known as Barclaycard Arrival + MasterCard. Some big changes includes additional categories like theme parks, museums, tourist attractions, taxis, limos, buses, ferries and more for redemptions. The 90 day limit will extend to 120. The card will have a brand new design in blue featuring EMV chip. All existing fee accounts will be issued new plastics as of May 28th featuring chip and new card design. All existing no fee accounts will be issued a new plastic with chip upon card expiration or card replacement request made on or after 5/28. You can apply for the new card as of 5/14-5/16, the date may change.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Barclay123
Barclaycard Arrival is changing, the no fee version will remain the same however the annual fee version will be known as Barclaycard Arrival + MasterCard. Some big changes includes additional categories like theme parks, museums, tourist attractions, taxis, limos, buses, ferries and more for redemptions. The 90 day limit will extend to 120. The card will have a brand new design in blue featuring EMV chip. All existing fee accounts will be issued new plastics as of May 28th featuring chip and new card design. All existing no fee accounts will be issued a new plastic with chip upon card expiration or card replacement request made on or after 5/28. You can apply for the new card as of 5/14-5/16, the date may change.
This is great! Source? I just was approved yesterday, I wonder if my card will come like this or it'll just send a new one then.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maddie5218
This is great! Source? I just was approved yesterday, I wonder if my card will come like this or it'll just send a new one then.
It's not clear whether you will be part of the new acquisitions or existing card campaign. You may get the new card since so close to launch but if not, then after 5/28 you will be reissued a new plastic. Source? Nothing I can link to.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:07 am

I see the new card is live and a new design New chip too!
Old May 14, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Can you tell us if this is a true Chip and PIN card? (Default/Priority Chip and PIN, not just fallback if Chip and Signature fails.)

Many of us are hoping for a card from a major issuer that defaults to Chip and PIN in the USA. It seems none do that yet. (Maybe Chase soon?)
Old May 14, 2014, 5:47 am

Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

Just logged into my account and saw the changed card! I knew if I came on here someone would know what happened

Changes sound good!
Old May 14, 2014, 5:52 am

Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

I'm also seeing that the amount of time I have left to redeem older purchases on this card has increased.

My 3.19 purchase now shows a 120 day redemption time instead of 90 days.

I know this change was for the new purchases, but I didn't think our old purchases would be elevated to the new redemption schedule!
Old May 14, 2014, 6:07 am

Ohhh, I'm traveling abroad soon and want that EMV!
Hope I can get the new card by early June...
Old May 14, 2014, 6:15 am

Any chance of a new bonus to go along with the new version of the card? I'd love to get this card but I can't hit multiple 3k requirements in one round of applications.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Some additional notes...the card is depicted as World Elite but we were told only select accounts would be upgraded based on spend, so this is strange they are offering it for applications. The conversions were suppose to take place on 5/28, letters went out on Monday and an email will be sent on 5/20 to notify customers of the upcoming changes. So it is also strange they updated the online so soon before anyone got notice. This will just burden support channels with card replacement requests for people wanting the chip now and calls asking about the changes. So obviously Barclays is lousy with communication and the various teams don't communicate with each other because this rollout is happening very early and completely out or the specified and trained order. Another botched roll out just like Hawaiian Airlines

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Can you tell us if this is a true Chip and PIN card? (Default/Priority Chip and PIN, not just fallback if Chip and Signature fails.)

Many of us are hoping for a card from a major issuer that defaults to Chip and PIN in the USA. It seems none do that yet. (Maybe Chase soon?)
It's Chip & Signature with PIN, just like Hawaiian Airlines.

Originally Posted by ccohen322
Ohhh, I'm traveling abroad soon and want that EMV!
Hope I can get the new card by early June...
Mail date set for 5/28 and 7-10 business days after for receipt.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This is awesome. Online my card appears as the Plus version now, and after I read your synopsis, I checked my reward redemption options and I can now indeed redeem for taxi, Uber, and tourist attractions (Empire State Building to be specific), none of which were redeemable yesterday.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass, National Executive
Really excited about the new card. Hate that I'll actually be out of the country for the 5/28 issuing, but looking forward to picking it up when I get back. My favorite card just got even better!
Old May 14, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Oh now they want to add theme parks?? (After I spent $600 at Disney earlier this year. LOL). It's still cool though and nice changes.

Just logged into my Barclay acct and they have already changed the Arrival image on my acct page. It's pretty. Hehe.

Last edited by cdancer20; May 14, 2014 at 7:24 am
Old May 14, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by ashap
Just logged into my account and saw the changed card! I knew if I came on here someone would know what happened

Changes sound good!
Same here.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Etihad Gold, Amtrak Select
While awesome, I would of appreciated a heads up from the Barclays team, just for the sake of communication. Per usual, I get more info on FT than the actual institution

Still, very excited for the new features. Taxi/uber/limo and tourist attractions will be a big plus. Really hope I can redeem for my commuter train/transit costs -- that would be huge. Like if your employer reimburses transit already, then double reimbursement?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.