FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1577043-barclays-arrival-plus-now-70k-w-5k-spend.html)

josephstern May 15, 2014 3:36 am

Originally Posted by zipo (Post 22866508)
Is the pin and chip, really that much better?

Ever been stuck in a European train station with a pile of cards and cash and a kiosk that takes neither, only true chip and pin?

LoneTree May 15, 2014 5:50 am

Originally Posted by zipo (Post 22866508)
Is the pin and chip, really that much better?

It's usually quicker than a signature transaction, and I appreciate the extra security it provides.

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 22867526)
Ever been stuck in a European train station with a pile of cards and cash and a kiosk that takes neither, only true chip and pin?

Or a grocery store self-checkout that won't accept signature without stopping the line and requiring a manager.

cdancer20 May 15, 2014 6:43 am

Originally Posted by hitman1420 (Post 22866085)
Doesn't work for me, :/ Will have to call in to see if I can argue the point, since mine was definitely a tourist attraction.

It hasn't worked for me either but I was wondering if I could call in and ask for them to manually add it. This place only sells tickets to tourist attractions.

intltravel90 May 15, 2014 7:02 am

Card downgrade bonus?

Does anyone know if one is able to get the 20,000 point signup bonus upon downgrading the card? If not, can a no-fee card be opened concurrently and the credit transferred?

I reviewed the other thread to see if there was a clear answer, but I did not see one.

cdancer20 May 15, 2014 8:44 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22864931)
Hmm do you think "RECREATION SERVICES--NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED" could be argued to fall under "Tourist Attractions"? It's a 3rd party ticket agency for theme park and attraction tickets.

Originally Posted by hitman1420 (Post 22866085)
Doesn't work for me, :/ Will have to call in to see if I can argue the point, since mine was definitely a tourist attraction.

I just got off the phone with them. Luckily this changed happened just in time b/c my 120 days on this purchase expires in a couple of days lol. Anyways, he asked me what they were for (amusement park tickets) and put in a case number. So they will investigate it and let me know within 7-10 biz days. Better than a straight out no so I'm hopeful.

Porcile May 15, 2014 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ashap (Post 22865834)
Same question here. I hope they continue giving the 0% until our first year is up. I stuck an expensive cruise on mine while I work to get the points to pay for it. If they take away the 0% early that will really mess up my plans.

Pure speculation on my part--but I would imagine the answer has to be yes they would keep the 0% APR. I can't imagine they would take away 0% apr unless you explicitly agreed to a change in terms. But might be worth investigating especially if you specifically request the upgrade to the PLUS.

AND, the links to non-plus Barclays Arrival still offer the 0% APR, so it doesn't look like they have phased it out yet entirely. But yeah not sure what happens when you make the switch.

cdancer20 May 15, 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Porcile (Post 22868821)
Pure speculation on my part--but I would imagine the answer has to be yes they would keep the 0% APR. I can't imagine they would take away 0% apr unless you explicitly agreed to a change in terms. But might be worth investigating especially if you specifically request the upgrade to the PLUS.

AND, the links to non-plus Barclays Arrival still offer the 0% APR, so it doesn't look like they have phased it out yet entirely. But yeah not sure what happens when you make the switch.

I agree. The offer you signed up for is 0% and the card automatically changed over the Plus. It says Plus on my acct now and they say Plus when I call. Yet, I haven't seen anything of losing my 0% intro APR.

trikotret May 15, 2014 9:52 am

Barclays Arrival/Arrival+ Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

anyone receive the new card yet? :)

ashap May 15, 2014 9:57 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22868988)
I agree. The offer you signed up for is 0% and the card automatically changed over the Plus. It says Plus on my acct now and they say Plus when I call. Yet, I haven't seen anything of losing my 0% intro APR.

The fact we haven't seen anything about the 0% continuing makes me think it will just be grandfathered in, but since we became eligible immediately for all of the new Arrival+ perks I'm a little concerned.

I guess time will tell. Even the CSR's don't really know (shocker!) people are posting all over the place your new card will ship later in May / early June, others are saying only new card when yours expires.

Way to communicate Barclays!!

cdancer20 May 15, 2014 10:05 am

Originally Posted by ashap (Post 22869184)
The fact we haven't seen anything about the 0% continuing makes me think it will just be grandfathered in, but since we became eligible immediately for all of the new Arrival+ perks I'm a little concerned.

I guess time will tell. Even the CSR's don't really know (shocker!) people are posting all over the place your new card will ship later in May / early June, others are saying only new card when yours expires.

Way to communicate Barclays!!

A link on my acct said "Your new card is on way! ...receive mid-June". Plus my acct still says "Standard purchase APR 0.0%". I think that people are overreacting to this. You signed an agreement during application for 0.0% APR for the first year. Taking it away would be a big issue for the credit card. It's not like removing a perk such as adding a spending cap.

PainCorp May 15, 2014 10:16 am

Originally Posted by trikotret (Post 22869149)

Last I checked the 28th is still two weeks away.

trikotret May 15, 2014 10:19 am

yesterday someone posted that he getting it overnight. so should receive today :)

pdxcpa May 15, 2014 11:15 am

I'm hoping to receive it today. I have now had CS Reps tell me that the decision on upgrading World Cards to World Elites is not going to be made until June-July so clearly there is a lack of consistent information. Anybody tried churning this card? I'm wondering if I could get through recon using the world elite as justification for a new card.

trikotret May 15, 2014 11:34 am

Maybe after the 28th they'll determine who gets what

Originally Posted by pdxcpa (Post 22869587)
I'm hoping to receive it today. I have now had CS Reps tell me that the decision on upgrading World Cards to World Elites is not going to be made until June-July so clearly there is a lack of consistent information. Anybody tried churning this card? I'm wondering if I could get through recon using the world elite as justification for a new card.

pszczolkam May 15, 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by pdxcpa (Post 22869587)

I'm also curious if this is churnable...in my newbiness I applied for the no-fee card about 8 months ago and I'm wondering if I can close it and apply for the fee card and get the bonus...

Platcomike May 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret (Post 22869149)

Yes, mine came Fedex this morning.

pdxcpa May 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Platcomike (Post 22869935)
Yes, mine came Fedex this morning.

Is it a World or World Elite MC?

Platcomike May 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by pdxcpa (Post 22869950)

World. They told me it was a temporary card to accommodate my travel and I would be receiving my permanent one before July 31. Perhaps that is because they have not made a decision on who gets which card.

trikotret May 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Makes sense everyone now gets world. Maybe around the 28th we'll get either emails or letters of what we are converting to

Originally Posted by Platcomike (Post 22869999)

Originally Posted by pdxcpa (Post 22869950)

World. They told me it was a temporary card to accommodate my travel and I would be receiving my permanent one before July 31. Perhaps that is because they have not made a decision on who gets which card.

maddie5218 May 15, 2014 12:47 pm

The person I spoke to on the phone mentioned something about new cards coming mid-June or July too.

trikotret May 15, 2014 12:49 pm

anyone know if you get hit with hard or soft pull if you apply for limit increase online through my account

f0xx May 15, 2014 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret (Post 22870193)
anyone know if you get hit with hard or soft pull if you apply for limit increase online through my account

Hard on TU

JaytheBarber May 15, 2014 1:14 pm

When I log in to my arrival account, there is a box below the boost portal with a picture of the new arrival+ card and "request card now" button. Anyone else seeing this? I really want to get the world elite version, but I don't know if its up to me and whether requesting the new card now through the link will have any bearing on getting the world elite version later.

trikotret May 15, 2014 2:55 pm

I see that link too. that's what I used to other the new card.

rgAAFT May 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63 (Post 22863333)
I originally opened the Barclays Arrival MC in April 2013. For some stupid reason, I closed it this year, March 2014. Not one of my best decisions. I'd like to get it again. If I apply again, will I get the sign up bonus? What're the details on getting this card again? Is this considered a new product?

Originally Posted by rgAAFT (Post 22871356)
I was Approved today for us air card
I tried to get both the arrival and us air card a while back but Barclays didn't want to give me US Air because of my rarely used arrival
Anyways,
A few weeks back I cancelled my arrival and today applied again for US Air , Sure enough I was Approved for a sizeable CL

Given yesterday's upgrade to the arrival card benefits I called CS and asked if I could have my arrival card reinstated. Front line CSR said No
I then hung up and called Supervisor hotline I have
Sure enough, my card COULD and was reinstated!!!
To recap,
Thanks to a few workarounds and phone calls I now have both credit cards double the CL as I used to have AND best of all 40k fresh new US Airways miles (can't wait for transfer option to AA to become available)
Anyways,
Hope this helps someone...

The card should be reinstatable for at least six months..
You probably will not get the sign up bonus again
But, probably no hard pull for reinstatement
PM's welcome if anyone has questions

Platcomike May 15, 2014 5:01 pm

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...23/arrival.jpg

I guess I have been awarded the "Mike is the first one to have one" award.

Jealous?

Wildcatz1 May 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Not happy that current customers of the paid annual fee Arrival are not getting upgraded to the Arrival+ World Elite. Instead they are upgrading to World Standard MC which is ridiculous given the fact that if you apply new (and are approved of course) you get the World Elite !!! The World Standard MC is given to those on the non annual fee card so why aren't existing paid Arrival card holders in good standing getting the Elite ? Seems like a poor customer service move to have existing customers moved to a card that basically does not exist, its a hybrid !

PDX did you get it and is it the WEMC (World Elite Mastercard) or Standard ?

Originally Posted by pdxcpa (Post 22863923)
Data point: called up CS this morning and was told that all accounts would be the World Elite and that the online picture is not correct on world vs. world elite. Chatted him up and got the overnight fee waived so I should have the new card soon and will report back to confirm.

Barclay, the concern here is that existing paid Arrival customers should be upgraded to the World Elite instead of Standard World Mastercard. The standard world shows as what non annual fee customers get whereas on the BC website it shows paid Arrival+ would get World Elite MC !

Not a good way to be treating existing customers vs new IMO

Originally Posted by Barclay123 (Post 22863875)
All current Barclaycard Arrival MasterCard fee accounts will be converted to the re-launched Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard card product.

healthnut May 15, 2014 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Wildcatz1 (Post 22871548)
Not happy that current customers of the paid annual fee Arrival are not getting upgraded to the Arrival+ World Elite. Instead they are upgrading to World Standard MC which is ridiculous given the fact that if you apply new (and are approved of course) you get the World Elite !!! The World Standard MC is given to those on the non annual fee card so why aren't existing paid Arrival card holders in good standing getting the Elite ? Seems like a poor customer service move to have existing customers moved to a card that basically does not exist, its a hybrid !

Wouldn't that possibly give you the opportunity to apply for the Arrival Plus and get the bonus a second time as you could argue they are different products?

Wildcatz1 May 15, 2014 5:43 pm

That is a good point although my understanding is that when it comes to that Barclaycard would all of a sudden see it as the same card, when it benefits them :)

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22871595)
Wouldn't that possibly give you the opportunity to apply for the Arrival Plus and get the bonus a second time as you could argue they are different products?

ashap May 15, 2014 5:50 pm

I would think opposite simply because we were all given the "new" product automatically. So it's not like chase where the new perks or changes in visa/M/C will classify it at a new product.

That's just speculation though, I'm sure we'll know for sure once someone re-applies for this card!

sosamo May 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Getting approved by Barclay is really hard if you have 2 of their credit cards already, and/or only have a short history with them.

healthnut May 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo (Post 22871672)
Getting approved by Barclay is really hard if you have 2 of their credit cards already, and/or only have a short history with them.

True, but there has to be some individuals with a great amount of history with them. Some around here are going on their 3rd and 4th US Airways card...

maddie5218 May 15, 2014 5:56 pm

What would be a good number to call to request a new card be sent to me? I was just approved for this the day before this announcement came out and I want to make sure that I get the new card. I tried 866-408-4064, but it said they were closed even though they should be open for another 4 hours.

pdxcpa May 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Wildcatz1 (Post 22871563)
PDX did you get it and is it the WEMC (World Elite Mastercard) or Standard ?

It's the standard World. There is a similar discussion going on over at their travel forum and the community manager is supposedly trying to get an answer for whatever that's worth. I'm toying with the idea of trying a fresh app tomorrow and see if I can churn the arrival.

Wildcatz1 May 15, 2014 6:24 pm

PDX, let us know. My concern is if the Arrival+ (AF version) is truly World Elite period then all currently AF paying Arrival cardholders should get it. If however Arrival+ is a sliding scale mastercard (could give you plat, world, world elite etc) then a) that isn't what they show on their site and b) you could apply and get another frickin world mastercard version (not elite) !

Originally Posted by pdxcpa (Post 22871714)
It's the standard World. There is a similar discussion going on over at their travel forum and the community manager is supposedly trying to get an answer for whatever that's worth. I'm toying with the idea of trying a fresh app tomorrow and see if I can churn the arrival.

healthnut May 15, 2014 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Wildcatz1 (Post 22871784)
PDX, let us know. My concern is if the Arrival+ (AF version) is truly World Elite period then all currently AF paying Arrival cardholders should get it. If however Arrival+ is a sliding scale mastercard (could give you plat, world, world elite etc) then a) that isn't what they show on their site and b) you could apply and get another frickin world mastercard version (not elite) !

I am unaware of this as well... When I was approved it said that I was approved for an Arrival World Mastercard, but when I received my "congratulations" email today it said that I was in for an Arrival World Elite Mastercard....

Will have to see when the card gets here...

maddie5218 May 15, 2014 6:29 pm

I was able to just call and request that a new card be sent. She said they would automatically send them out the 28th if not, but I asked if they could just send me this instead of the old version so they don't have to waste product and she said she put in a request for me and I should receive it in 7-10 days :)

pdxcpa May 15, 2014 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Wildcatz1 (Post 22871784)

I have a hard time believing they would print a whole separate card just for prior card holders and all new apps automatically get the elite. I received a world elite hawaiian card from them when those first came out so I know I can get one from them (at least with that card). Barclays definitely has some work to do on their customer communication.

pdxcpa May 15, 2014 6:38 pm

For those that applied for a new card and have set up your online account, when you click on "your card benefits" towards the top of your account info, does it bring up the world or world elite benefit PDF?

healthnut May 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by pdxcpa (Post 22871830)
For those that applied for a new card and have set up your online account, when you click on "your card benefits" towards the top of your account info, does it bring up the world or world elite benefit PDF?

Mine pulls up a PDF of WEMC.