FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1577043-barclays-arrival-plus-now-70k-w-5k-spend.html)

ashap May 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu (Post 22864990)
Quote: Originally Posted by ashap

They did under the old rules/categories so I'm not sure why they wouldn't under the new ones.

MBTA in BOS does in fact code for redemption, but you need to either load $25+ on charlie or get a weekly/monthly that is over $25 (I think weekly is $18)

Right. Just like any other travel purchase.

My point to the OP was just that the MBTA has always coded as a travel category so there is no reason to think it wouldn't now.

PainCorp May 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx (Post 22863828)

How upset are you that you don't have this card right now?

Izushisobaman May 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Just received this reply from Barclays customer service after I requested a new card.

"Keep in mind, when you first use your card abroad while traveling, you must make a purchase at a merchant with an attendant using the Chip & Signature feature. This will activate the PIN number, so that you may use the Chip & PIN feature at an unattended kiosks."

Porcile May 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Also worth noting the one downgrade (at least for first year benefits) of the plus card is that it doesn't have the first year into 0% APR like the non-plus arrival still does. Probably not important to most, but I haven't seen anyone note this.

Also, I called in today to see about getting that 0% APR on my plus card (which I had just been approved for) and they couldn't do it. Sounded like they might be considering these two cards to be separate products? She said I would have to re-apply for the non-plus arrival card if I wanted that 0% apr.... and even suggested I re-apply and then transfer my credit line over from the plus. Obviously, not a good option and not what I ended up doing, but this could be a helpful data point for those considering applying again for the plus who already had the non-plus.

Chris92128 May 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Porcile (Post 22865302)
Also worth noting the one downgrade (at least for first year benefits) of the plus card is that it doesn't have the first year into 0% APR like the non-plus arrival still does. Probably not important to most, but I haven't seen anyone note this.

Also, I called in today to see about getting that 0% APR on my plus card (which I had just been approved for) and they couldn't do it. Sounded like they might be considering these two cards to be separate products? She said I would have to re-apply for the non-plus arrival card if I wanted that 0% apr.... and even suggested I re-apply and then transfer my credit line over from the plus. Obviously, not a good option and not what I ended up doing, but this could be a helpful data point for those considering applying again for the plus who already had the non-plus.

Do you know if you applied previously and got the 0% APR FOR this first year if you will be able to keep it? Will I still have 0% APR FOR the promo period?

NachosLibres May 14, 2014 4:38 pm

I put about $10k/mo on my Arrival but don't think I would use many if any of the World Elite benefits so if they don't do upgrades then I'm not going to worry about it. In fact if they don't even send me the upgraded card anytime soon that's fine with me - they had to issue me a new card several months ago due to potential fraud that they supposedly detected and it was a pain having to re-setup a lot of my auto pays - especially for business expenses where I had to call and/or fax in information.

I'm content with the current card I have with the added benefits of being able to use additional categories and especially the additional 30 days to redeem rewards - since I budget and pay for my travel in full and then treat the card as a pure cash back card.

Superorb May 14, 2014 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Izushisobaman (Post 22865237)
Just received this reply from Barclays customer service after I requested a new card.

"Keep in mind, when you first use your card abroad while traveling, you must make a purchase at a merchant with an attendant using the Chip & Signature feature. This will activate the PIN number, so that you may use the Chip & PIN feature at an unattended kiosks."

Oh wow, a real chip and PIN card instead of just chip and signature. This will come in handy this summer in EU and SE Asia.

stealph May 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Added Viator and Evan Evans Sightseeing (UK based) to Wiki.

josephstern May 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 22865558)
Oh wow, a real chip and PIN card instead of just chip and signature. This will come in handy this summer in EU and SE Asia.

I'm a noob the the Chip + world, but with my limited understanding, this isn't a problem-solver, really. It'll make some clerks more comfortable, but the PIN part won't generally come into play.

I'm sure there's someone here with more understanding of the situation, but the gas station/train station problem in Europe will still be a problem with this card, AFAIK.

I don't get why US banks don't want to do away with the 'signature' part, but there's some good reason for it, since they almost all still keep it.

ashap May 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Chris92128 (Post 22865401)

Do you know if you applied previously and got the 0% APR FOR this first year if you will be able to keep it? Will I still have 0% APR FOR the promo period?

Same question here. I hope they continue giving the 0% until our first year is up. I stuck an expensive cruise on mine while I work to get the points to pay for it. If they take away the 0% early that will really mess up my plans.

PainCorp May 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 22865610)
I'm sure there's someone here with more understanding of the situation, but the gas station/train station problem in Europe will still be a problem with this card, AFAIK.

That's why there is PIN fall back, from what I can tell.

dw May 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22865939)
That's why there is PIN fall back, from what I can tell.

Hmmm... I'm not sure we've had confirmation that the card will support offline PIN verification, however, which is when you really need the fallback.

PainCorp May 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 22865970)
Hmmm... I'm not sure we've had confirmation that the card will support offline PIN verification, however, which is when you really need the fallback.

Let's be honest, we haven't had confirmation of much from Barclays about anything.

healthnut May 14, 2014 7:01 pm

Just approved! :) Very excited to get on the Boost action and pay for my Disney World tickets over NYE this year. I've been holding out, but I'm glad I did!

hitman1420 May 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22864931)
Hmm do you think "RECREATION SERVICES--NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED" could be argued to fall under "Tourist Attractions"? It's a 3rd party ticket agency for theme park and attraction tickets.

Doesn't work for me, :/ Will have to call in to see if I can argue the point, since mine was definitely a tourist attraction.