FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1577043-barclays-arrival-plus-now-70k-w-5k-spend.html)

jan_believes May 16, 2014 9:14 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 22874101)
What, exactly, is the urgent need for the World Elite version of the card? In every prior discussion on World vs. World Elite, the consensus seemed to be that the additional "benefits" are rarely valuable and the only real winner is the issuing bank, who can charge higher merchant fees.

And yet the past 30+ posts have been mostly a surprisingly animated discussion about this issue.

What am I missing?

Not much. Just happy about the extended redemption opportunity! :)

cdancer20 May 16, 2014 9:17 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 22874101)
What, exactly, is the urgent need for the World Elite version of the card? In every prior discussion on World vs. World Elite, the consensus seemed to be that the additional "benefits" are rarely valuable and the only real winner is the issuing bank, who can charge higher merchant fees.

And yet the past 30+ posts have been mostly a surprisingly animated discussion about this issue.

What am I missing?

While I am sure there are some out there that will use these perks, I think a lot of people, including myself, are in the case "have but don't need" instead "need but not have" and the feeling of being "Elite". The last part is petty yes but w/e you need to boost yourself. LOL.

Superorb May 16, 2014 11:24 am

Does the World Elite provide primary rental insurance? If not what makes it so great?

Wildcatz1 May 16, 2014 1:24 pm

I think another point that has not been stated yet is that there is NO risk to Barclaycard to complete the upgrade including the World Elite piece for existing annual fee paying Arrival customers.

We have all been credit checked/scored and approved for the card we currently hold, plus on top of this have periodic soft pulls for CL increase/decrease. In other words, sound customers.

So, if you take that into account this does then all appear to be PR/marketing related, something to say as a new customer here is what you get above existing customers.

Again just another thought on it.

Nick92 May 16, 2014 1:31 pm

I just spoke with the credit dept and they told me Arrival Plus only comes as World Elite and they start at $250 lines. If this is true, then I 250% agree we should ALL be upgraded to World Elite. There is no need for a distinction to be made between existing and new accounts. This shouldn't even be an issue, every Arrival Plus should become World Elite.

And how convenient of Barclaycard to shut down the official community where things are getting very heated right now about this stuff. For the first time since launch it shows down for maintenance -.-

pdxcpa May 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nick92 (Post 22875804)
I just spoke with the credit dept and they told me Arrival Plus only comes as World Elite and they start at $250 lines. If this is true, then I 250% agree we should ALL be upgraded to World Elite. There is no need for a distinction to be made between existing and new accounts. This shouldn't even be an issue, every Arrival Plus should become World Elite.

And how convenient of Barclaycard to shut down the official community where things are getting very heated right now about this stuff. For the first time since launch it shows down for maintenance -.-

Agreed. Although if it holds true, the last good bit of info to come out was that we should all know by the end of the month if we are getting a world elite.

Wildcatz1 May 16, 2014 1:35 pm

That is new info Nick and very interesting. Agreed if that is the case another reason all should be upgraded.

I too find it very interesting forums just went offline, just as community manager posted an update about campaigns around this World Elite offering !

Originally Posted by Nick92 (Post 22875804)

Nick92 May 16, 2014 1:39 pm

The site is back up and the community manager answers are basically not answering anything. I think this is a very bad business decision that they need to remedy asap. And this is what credit told me, the guy was very detailed and explained only Arrival Plus and Hawaiian Airlines are World Elite only cards that start at $250 and $500 respectively.

Wildcatz1 May 16, 2014 1:49 pm

I had seen a comment about a $1k line with World Elite so although not as low as you mentioned Nick (and not saying that isn't true) it certainly appears that even those with lower CL's are getting the World Elite on new applications. Not a customer satisfier for existing customers to say the least

Originally Posted by Nick92 (Post 22875846)
The site is back up and the community manager answers are basically not answering anything. I think this is a very bad business decision that they need to remedy asap. And this is what credit told me, the guy was very detailed and explained only Arrival Plus and Hawaiian Airlines are World Elite only cards that start at $250 and $500 respectively.

Nick92 May 16, 2014 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Wildcatz1 (Post 22875901)
I had seen a comment about a $1k line with World Elite so although not as low as you mentioned Nick (and not saying that isn't true) it certainly appears that even those with lower CL's are getting the World Elite on new applications. Not a customer satisfier for existing customers to say the least

On Myfico there are people with $500-$3000 Hawaiian World Elite cards so I do know it is possible. I thought it would be something like below $5k Plat, above World and above $10k is Elite which would make sense. I just feel like repeating myself here but if people are getting $250 Elite via new applications then everyone should be upgraded. Myfico has a few users with $15k+ lines that are anxious too.

Barclay123 May 16, 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Wildcatz1 (Post 22875901)

I can't confirm those amounts but I did see an Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard with a $1,700 credit limit. It does appear that like the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard product, that the Arrival Plus is a World Elite MasterCard only product.

Wildcatz1 May 16, 2014 2:05 pm

Barclay

Thanks for confirming that the new Arrival Plus World Elite is World Elite only, no sliding scale. I think/hope you would agree that with that knowledge it does appear even more of a slap in the face to existing customers of the annual fee Arrival that 'some' 'may' be upgraded especially per my comment above that there is no risk to Barclays/Barclaycard to do so and new (no history customers) are receiving it.

Thanks again for the great info !

Originally Posted by Barclay123 (Post 22875954)
I can't confirm those amounts but I did see an Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard with a $1,700 credit limit. It does appear that like the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard product, that the Arrival Plus is a World Elite MasterCard only product.

Wildcatz1 May 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Nick
Interesting how the thread over on Barclaycard is being 'condensed' looks like a number of pages and comments have suddenly been shrunk :)

Originally Posted by Nick92 (Post 22875846)

PainCorp May 16, 2014 4:35 pm

I still don't get the fascination with MC World Elite. The benefits aren't on par with Visa Signature (that is lowsy), so I don't get the fascination and obsession.

f0xx May 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22876708)
I still don't get the fascination with MC World Elite. The benefits aren't on par with Visa Signature (that is lowsy), so I don't get the fascination and obsession.

People have to have something to cry about.