Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card


Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.


To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.


To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.


Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.


What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 31, 15, 10:37 pm
  #1321  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 751
Originally Posted by ZeroMile View Post
Quote:





Originally Posted by pointsaddict3326


When using the transfer option, can you do it before purchase transactions post to your account? Like if you have $2k in pending payments can you transfer at any time from your checking to your WF cc and the CL will go back up?




(you can pay the amount that already posted), Do NOT pay the part of transactions still pending , that's an "over payment"
if transfer/payment still in pending, that part of credit line you can NOT use, that's an "over credit limit" if you do.
those two reasons are getting people shutdown.
That's exactly my question & you contradict the previous answer I received.

As soon as the charge posts, I send a payment from my Wells Fargo checking account and the payment shows pending until the next morning even though the available credit jumps immediately. I have been making purchases a couple of hours after sending the payment.
coltonatx is online now  
Old Mar 31, 15, 10:39 pm
  #1322  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 751
Originally Posted by coltonatx View Post
Quote:





Originally Posted by ZeroMile


Quote:





Originally Posted by pointsaddict3326


When using the transfer option, can you do it before purchase transactions post to your account? Like if you have $2k in pending payments can you transfer at any time from your checking to your WF cc and the CL will go back up?




(you can pay the amount that already posted), Do NOT pay the part of transactions still pending , that's an "over payment"
if transfer/payment still in pending, that part of credit line you can NOT use, that's an "over credit limit" if you do.
those two reasons are getting people shutdown.




That's exactly my question & you contradict the previous answer I received.

As soon as the charge posts, I send a payment from my Wells Fargo checking account and the payment shows pending until the next morning even though the available credit jumps immediately. I have been making purchases a couple of hours after sending the payment.
The reason I do this is because the grocery store charges don't post for 48 hrs and my partner was only applied for a $3k CL... If I were to wait an extra day from the day I send the payment, I would be further slowed down...
coltonatx is online now  
Old Apr 1, 15, 6:32 am
  #1323  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta Platinum, Air Berlin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by coltonatx View Post
The reason I do this is because the grocery store charges don't post for 48 hrs and my partner was only applied for a $3k CL... If I were to wait an extra day from the day I send the payment, I would be further slowed down...
I was recently approved for a $5k limit (card in the mail) and am planning to try for a CLI as soon as I get it. In case I don't, I would hope to at least be able to purchase more on the card as soon as the credit line increases after I make a transfer from WF checking, even if I "should" wait to make that transfer until my original purchase posts.

I'm reading conflicting reports about whether transferring from WF checking to your cc before purchases post count as overpaying, although it does appear to increase your CL immediately if you do so. Has this been a significant problem for some people?
pointsaddict3326 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 15, 9:29 am
  #1324  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,356
Originally Posted by pointsaddict3326 View Post
I was recently approved for a $5k limit (card in the mail) and am planning to try for a CLI as soon as I get it. In case I don't, I would hope to at least be able to purchase more on the card as soon as the credit line increases after I make a transfer from WF checking, even if I "should" wait to make that transfer until my original purchase posts.

I'm reading conflicting reports about whether transferring from WF checking to your cc before purchases post count as overpaying, although it does appear to increase your CL immediately if you do so. Has this been a significant problem for some people?
Just do a search on this thread for overpayment. WF is notorious for locking down your acct for such situations. Even if there are those who have gotten lucky, you are at risk by doing this. They do NOT want you to pay for pending items. It must be fully posted.
cdancer20 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 15, 9:45 am
  #1325  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta Platinum, Air Berlin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by cdancer20 View Post
Just do a search on this thread for overpayment. WF is notorious for locking down your acct for such situations. Even if there are those who have gotten lucky, you are at risk by doing this. They do NOT want you to pay for pending items. It must be fully posted.
Thanks for the clear answer cdancer. I'll pin my hopes on a CLI.
pointsaddict3326 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 15, 11:07 am
  #1326  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by coltonatx View Post
The reason I do this is because the grocery store charges don't post for 48 hrs and my partner was only applied for a $3k CL... If I were to wait an extra day from the day I send the payment, I would be further slowed down...
we know how hard is on a $3k CL , it just don't have enough room to play with, and you can afford to take the risk, as for me and others that has $25k+ CL, at turn over 2x -3x CL, just can not risk the overpayment/over limit, try to fly under the radar as much as possible.
ZeroMile is offline  
Old Apr 4, 15, 9:56 am
  #1327  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by ZeroMile View Post
we know how hard is on a $3k CL , it just don't have enough room to play with, and you can afford to take the risk, as for me and others that has $25k+ CL, at turn over 2x -3x CL, just can not risk the overpayment/over limit, try to fly under the radar as much as possible.
What was your income, AAoA, limits, relation to WF, etc if you don't mind sharing on this anonymous website.
Omnipotent is offline  
Old Apr 5, 15, 2:52 pm
  #1328  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 63
2k or 1.5k

Do people think doing 2k draws more attention than doing 1.5k? I'd like to just do 2k every time but 2k seems like a ton to spend at a grocery store.

What about varying amounts (by doing $480 on one VGC or buying something).. makes a difference, or not?
skierinvermont is offline  
Old Apr 10, 15, 2:43 pm
  #1329  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 63
OK so my credit line cleared up but the payment has not posted. Am I good to go?
skierinvermont is offline  
Old Apr 14, 15, 12:46 am
  #1330  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Socal
Posts: 750
I'm just starting my third month and have been hitting it hard since it seemed as if I followed the rules of not overpaying, etc it would be fine. I've been freeing up my CL by either transferring $ from my WF checking (from deposited MOs) or using MOs to make a payment directly. Now I'm a little concerned about a shutdown. I deposit/pay down ~6k in MOs a week...is that too much? Should I deposit to another bank and then just write checks to WF to pay down the cc?
subdawg is offline  
Old Apr 14, 15, 7:39 am
  #1331  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by subdawg View Post
I'm just starting my third month and have been hitting it hard since it seemed as if I followed the rules of not overpaying, etc it would be fine. I've been freeing up my CL by either transferring $ from my WF checking (from deposited MOs) or using MOs to make a payment directly. Now I'm a little concerned about a shutdown. I deposit/pay down ~6k in MOs a week...is that too much? Should I deposit to another bank and then just write checks to WF to pay down the cc?
How much is your CL and how much total are you spending per month? From what I've heard, it's cycling the CL and paying it off multiple times per month that has caused any shutdowns.
MG49 is offline  
Old Apr 14, 15, 8:25 am
  #1332  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Programs: All of them
Posts: 1,077
Originally Posted by MG49 View Post
How much is your CL and how much total are you spending per month? From what I've heard, it's cycling the CL and paying it off multiple times per month that has caused any shutdowns.
Cycling the CL is not a problem. I cycle my $20k limit every 3 days.

What got people shut down is pre-paying for your charges before they actually post. A csr once told me this "effectively turns this into a debit card", so they're not cool with this.
littlewinglet is online now  
Old Apr 14, 15, 8:33 am
  #1333  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by littlewinglet View Post
Cycling the CL is not a problem. I cycle my $20k limit every 3 days.

What got people shut down is pre-paying for your charges before they actually post. A csr once told me this "effectively turns this into a debit card", so they're not cool with this.
Good to know. Any idea if cycling in primarily the 5% categories has raised a red flag for anyone?
MG49 is offline  
Old Apr 14, 15, 8:36 am
  #1334  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Programs: All of them
Posts: 1,077
Originally Posted by MG49 View Post
Good to know. Any idea if cycling in primarily the 5% categories has raised a red flag for anyone?
Apparently not. I even got a letter congratulating me on being a high-roller and bumping my points to 1.75 cent value for airfare, and no forex fees for the next 6 months. This will come handy as this card has true CHIP + PIN capability.
littlewinglet is online now  
Old Apr 14, 15, 9:46 am
  #1335  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LAX
Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Posts: 1,453
I just got mine approved with a $10K limit. I'm hoping to push $10K/wk through it. 4x/mo seems like a moderate number. I'll probably try to double that month 6.
roki is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: