Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:31 pm

application info

So, here's some info on my situation if anyone is interested:

1. opened a WF checking account in Nov. no prior relationship with WF.
2. applied a few weeks ago using a 2BM for the Propel and this 5% card.
3. I applied for the Propel about 10 seconds ahead of the 5%, and know it was processed first because the application # (I didn't get instant approval for either) was slightly less.
4. after a few days, was approved for both on same day automatically ($15k CL on the Propel; $5k on the 5%).
5. could see both cards online but only the bonus on the Propel.
6. got card today, and called the rewards desk. they confirmed that i did NOT have the 5x "because you have another WF card", but proceeded to confirm the bonus on the other card with no prompting.
7. i only got one HP total from WF for both card applications.

I'm not too disappointed since I wanted the Propel more (do enough of the "easy" MS on Citi cards, and the PITA factor), but b/c of only 1 HP, didn't lose anything with the 5% application. I thought there would be a great chance WF would not "see" the 5%

The one thing I wonder about for those of you trying for a second that might be relevant, is I'm wondering if the fact that both cards were automatically linked with their rewards program was what triggered the exclusion of the 5% bonus. So, those trying for a second may want to try to "delete" yourselves from their reward program while your old card is active or even afterwards. I don't know HOW you'd do this, but maybe the system seeing any other card in your rewards profile is how it knows the 5% isn't your "first" WF card.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I can also confirm a similar experience. I paid $5K from Bluebird, and it posted on 2/14. I think I may have gotten $500 bump in CL, but that is it. I plan on letting this dog sleep until it corrects. I was done MS this month anyway.....

I also suggest something is added to the wiki about this outside payment issue.
I am now a week out from a $5K Bluebird payment posting and still the credit line is tied up. Just how long doses this take? Granted, I plan on waiting another week to hammer the 5X again.....
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:06 pm

Changes to the rewards program

Received a brochure today in mail "Changes to the rewards program"

relevant sentence to us is 'Some rewards currency may be taxable income. We will report the value of the rewards currency as income to IRS'
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I am now a week out from a $5K Bluebird payment posting and still the credit line is tied up. Just how long doses this take? Granted, I plan on waiting another week to hammer the 5X again.....
10 Business Days. I learned the hard way too, and don't use BB to pay this card.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
Received a brochure today in mail "Changes to the rewards program"

relevant sentence to us is 'Some rewards currency may be taxable income. We will report the value of the rewards currency as income to IRS'
Actually not relevant at the moment on a CC. But there could be other account types contributing to the rewards account, tax rules can change, and lawyers put this stuff in to cover their butts.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:01 pm

I got this card in late December and got the "change in terms" brochure this week. Seemed strange since it was the same one people previously talked about. Even has the changes taking effect Jan 15th.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
The 877-575-0462 phone # for fraud in the wiki is no longer in service. I don't think I have enough posts to fix it.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Looks like they may be taking the new clauses in the T&C about not rewarding points on GC purchases seriously -- my card is still open but all my existing rewards are frozen (less than 1000) and all pending rewards are still pending despite statement closing in the past few days (redeemable date is about a month out).

Also, I say that my card is still open but despite not having a balance, no available credit was freed up after my last payment. So I'm effectively shut down without having the card closed. In the past they would have just shut down the account immediately -- this is a different tactic.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I am closed down. They did it only a day before statement close -- that's scummy of them.

Last edited by ramalama8; Mar 11, 2015 at 8:50 am
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by ramalama8
Looks like they may be taking the new clauses in the T&C about not rewarding points on GC purchases seriously -- my card is still open but all my existing rewards are frozen (less than 1000) and all pending rewards are still pending despite statement closing in the past few days (redeemable date is about a month out).

Also, I say that my card is still open but despite not having a balance, no available credit was freed up after my last payment. So I'm effectively shut down without having the card closed. In the past they would have just shut down the account immediately -- this is a different tactic.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I am closed down. They did it only a day before statement close -- that's scummy of them.
Questions:
1. How many months did you have the card before being shut down?

2. When was the last time you spoke to a human over the phone regarding your account, whether fraud alert or inquiring about something else - or had anyone contacted you, left a message, etc?

Me, I've had had the card for 5 months, doing a little over 20k/mo. So far ok but yours is the first word of a shutdown I can remember reading.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by ChurnChop
Me, I've had had the card for 5 months, doing a little over 20k/mo. So far ok but yours is the first word of a shutdown I can remember reading.
I'm planning to apply in the next week or so, and that's the level I plan to do, split between GCs and Target Grocery. I suppose even if I get one month in before shutdown, it's still worth a credit pull, but I'm just trying to put together my plan.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ramalama8

Would you mind to share a little more info such as your CL and how many payments you make during a month? Based on your rewards balance, so you are doing less than 20k/month?

If you don't feel comfortable to give out those here, feel free to PM. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
My statement just posted, my fifth month. I got all of the 5x rewards and have transferred them out. Have been doing 8- 10k a month (less than my credit limit), all in grocery & drug stores. Making payments from BB/Serve and remaining payment by writing a check at the branch.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hello – I am able to load Serve with the cards I buy and that’s great. Buy paying off from Serve takes 4-8 days to clear and my CL gets tied up during that time. I have a decent balance sitting in my WF checking and typically pay it off so the CL clears but now I am stuck w/all these funds in Serve with no payments to make. Sure, I can pay off my regular credit card bills but they are nowhere close to the amount I MS.

How do you guys handle payments to WF? Just trying to see if someone has a better idea than what I am doing.

Last edited by Duffman; Mar 13, 2015 at 6:49 am
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Duffman
Hello – I am able to load Serve with the cards I buy and that’s great. Buy paying off from Serve takes 4-8 days to clear and my CL gets tied up during that time. I have decent balance sitting in my WF checking and typically pay it off so the CL clears but now I am stuck w/all these funds in Serve with no payments to make. Sure, I can pay off my regular credit card bills but they are nowhere close to the amount I MNS.

How do you guys handle payments to WF? Just trying to see if someone has a better idea than what I am doing.
Transfer the money from serve to your bank account.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
yep, just learned about the bank transfer a week ago. The two bank withdrawals I setup got declined for some reason. No error msg, no email, just declined. Will need to call Serve and find out what's going on. Is the limit for withdrawals the same as ATM Withdrawals, ie. $2000/month? Another way I can think of is to transfer funds from my Serve to a friend's Bluebird acc and then write a check to myself.

Originally Posted by skierinvermont
Transfer the money from serve to your bank account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.