Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
Recd. mid-Dec platinum card with $2.5k CL, in Jan opened a checking account. Is it too soon to ask/request for CL increase and/or Signature card?
I called in for a CL increase the day I received the card and was successful.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by subdawg
I searched and couldn't find an answer, but how many days do I have to wait until the bonus points show up? Just started using this card and have been checking every day.

Also, I read some old posts saying that there is a 120k rewards cap? Not sure if this is still applicable or not, as I did not see anything in the terms.
They should show pending on the rewards site after transactions post. No cap.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
WF approved me for the Visa Signature card (stated in approval page and email) but delivered the Rewards Platinum card (no 50% bonus on airfare redemption). Now they refuse to fix it. Is that legal?

It doesn't even look like one is a lower version of the other. They appear to be entirely different products. No?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
WF approved me for the Visa Signature card (stated in approval page and email) but delivered the Rewards Platinum card (no 50% bonus on airfare redemption). Now they refuse to fix it. Is that legal?

It doesn't even look like one is a lower version of the other. They appear to be entirely different products. No?
That stinks man! Keep us updated on this bait and switch game.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by subdawg
I searched and couldn't find an answer, but how many days do I have to wait until the bonus points show up? Just started using this card and have been checking every day.

Also, I read some old posts saying that there is a 120k rewards cap? Not sure if this is still applicable or not, as I did not see anything in the terms.
Go to the rewards section as described earlier, not your account page. The rewards or "overview" section will shows pending rewards. They usually take a day or two to show after the charge posts. It will separate the charge with two entries, one for 1% and the other for 4% (assuming of course you are maxing your opportunity). The bonus $$ will not show up on your account page until after your statement closes.

Wiki says no more cap.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:15 pm

Just wondering if anyone had/has the similar experience with WF's Fraud Prevention. As expected, I had quite a few declined transactions in my first month. But I only received about one automatic Fraud Prevention call out of three declines. So for the other ones I had to call in to verify the transactions, which is definitely not good as it invites eyes on my activities.

Am I supposed to receive the automatic "verifying transaction" call for every declined (suspicious) purchase? Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by usalibido
Just wondering if anyone had/has the similar experience with WF's Fraud Prevention. As expected, I had quite a few declined transactions in my first month. But I only received about one automatic Fraud Prevention call out of three declines. So for the other ones I had to call in to verify the transactions, which is definitely not good as it invites eyes on my activities.

Am I supposed to receive the automatic "verifying transaction" call for every declined (suspicious) purchase? Thanks!
It's unpredictable and disorganized. I never get a callback after declined transactions and have to manually callin, while I would often get a call 5-10min after a GC purchase that went through.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
It's unpredictable and disorganized. I never get a callback after declined transactions and have to manually callin, while I would often get a call 5-10min after a GC purchase that went through.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if they changed their procedure recently because a friend of mine just got done with this card and he received automatic Fraud calls after every declined transaction.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:20 am

Dumb question - If Serve / external account payments do free up your credit limit to the extent that you can actually spend that money, even if doesn't show up in "Available Revolving Line of Credit," what's the big deal? Does it matter for statement closing time?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ttlmmky
Dumb question - If Serve / external account payments do free up your credit limit to the extent that you can actually spend that money, even if doesn't show up in "Available Revolving Line of Credit," what's the big deal? Does it matter for statement closing time?
I haven't attempted to spend on my line unless the CL shows that amount as available. Transactions may go through fine without any hitch or the system may get flagged and a human gets notified. Sure I could complain about them holding my CL but that would be stupid, at least in my opinion. I wrote a post earlier about Serve and my large payment. The CL was initially raised on the day of payment, then the CL was reduced the next day (as if no payment occured). Mind you the payment was still accepted, they didn't reverse it. Two days later the CL was raised again. If I have to wait a few days to see the correct CL in the available line, I'll do it. No need for prying eyes. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I think I'll apply for this card on 3/5/15. I've already maxed my scarlet birdies for February, and since it's 6 months from account opening, that should give me time to get the September load too, assuming the birdie lives that long.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnChop
I haven't attempted to spend on my line unless the CL shows that amount as available. Transactions may go through fine without any hitch or the system may get flagged and a human gets notified. Sure I could complain about them holding my CL but that would be stupid, at least in my opinion. I wrote a post earlier about Serve and my large payment. The CL was initially raised on the day of payment, then the CL was reduced the next day (as if no payment occured). Mind you the payment was still accepted, they didn't reverse it. Two days later the CL was raised again. If I have to wait a few days to see the correct CL in the available line, I'll do it. No need for prying eyes. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Just an update: My statement posted while a Serve payment was "tied up." Statement balance acted as if payment was accepted and it was listed on the list of payments on the statement.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Now that I'm only getting ~1.3% cash back. This card is a breeze to use. I just call ahead before making purchases.

Last month of the promotion was a pain in the a** for me. Glad I don't have to go through that again. One time, I was on the phone with Fraud Dept. rep and she blurted out something to the effect of 'people are going crazy doing cashback promo'. I just smiled and didn't say a word.

Amex is by far the best card when it comes to making large purchases. I do call ahead time to time, but never had issue... Except for the last day of OBC.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:31 am

This is an update to my previous statement that my CL went back up after a large payment. It did, on 2/9, but it appears that was just temporary. It had gone back up to 9,000+ on 2/9, the same day the $8,700 payment was received. I didn't have time to go spend (work obligations), then checked again yesterday 2/10 and the CL raise was removed.

My outstanding balance reflects the payment was received (lowered my balance) and the payment went through in my account activity, so there's no hold on the payment, just a holdup of my line . The outstanding balance is correct at like $800. My available CL now is $941. My allotted CL is $10,000.

There are no temp auth and no explanation as to why they reversed the CL. No messages or notices. Maybe they figured I spend enough this month and that's enough. Ha Ha - or - maybe they'll release more line in a few days. Will just wait. I think it will be a death sentence if I call, a human looking at my charges would see quite a pattern if you know what I mean. Considering I have $600 in cash back pending once the statement closes, don't want to lose that because a rep doesn't like what they see.
Similar experience. A large ACH payment from another bank posted but only $500 of my CL was released. It's as if they're on to us.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:29 am

I can also confirm a similar experience. I paid $5K from Bluebird, and it posted on 2/14. I think I may have gotten $500 bump in CL, but that is it. I plan on letting this dog sleep until it corrects. I was done MS this month anyway.....

I also suggest something is added to the wiki about this outside payment issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.