Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 11:42 pm
formerly mattrendell27

So I got this card and have tried hitting the 5% for the past week but it has been very troublesome. Tried searching this thread for solutions and suggestions but I can't find anything concrete.

I have only been able to get through just under $2000 total of GC purchases at CVS/Walgreens on three days of attempts so far. This is the sequence I've experienced:

Attempt $500 GC purchase. 1st one goes through

Attempt second $500 GC purchase. Declined. Call automated line in wiki. Automated voice asks if they contacted me by phone or by letter. I tried both, enter card info but both times automated voice says "we apologize but we cannot retrieve your info, please hold for a representative". connects me to a rep and she just confirms the transactions and quickly says have a good day and tries to hang up. I said "okay so is the alert cleared and the transaction should go through now?" she said that they are actually a third party company (can't remember the name of the company) and that if I wanted more info I'd need to contact WF directly. this same experience happened when calling 1-800-446-0664 and 1-888-671-2468.

So after I re-attempted the transaction after calling number in wiki it was declined again. This time I called the number on the back of the card and the lady reassured me that the card was cleared even saying she put a pre authorization alert on the account so it will definitely allow another purchase as long as it was under $500. But to no avail declined again.

Essentially I need to talk to CSR's 3 times for every 1 transaction to go through. I realize this is sketchy talking to CSR's so much about this and I am really hoping someone has personal experience on what to do in this situation.

I have tried waiting for automated number to call me but it only happened once and even after clearing up the charges with automated person it still didn't go through.

I have tried larger purchases ($1500 of GC's in one transaction) and also tried splitting them into smaller $500 transactions (roughly 499.98 to be just under $500) but nothing seems to work.

I have also put some small gas purchases and one small Walgreens purchase on the card since getting it. Does throwing in small regular purchase transactions throw off the computers and mess with FA's or something?

Anyone have any advice on transaction amounts/sequences? Or another number I can call that will actually connect me with an automated line to clear up FA's? or any other suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by nistah
Correct, your credit card will close about 20 days after your checking account gets limited.
Is this a pattern I can read about back in the thread?
Old May 19, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by mattrendell27
So I got this card and have tried hitting the 5% for the past week but it has been very troublesome. Tried searching this thread for solutions and suggestions but I can't find anything concrete.

I have only been able to get through just under $2000 total of GC purchases at CVS/Walgreens on three days of attempts so far. This is the sequence I've experienced:

Attempt second $500 GC purchase. Declined. Call automated line in wiki. Automated voice asks if they contacted me by phone or by letter. I tried both, enter card info but both times automated voice says "we apologize but we cannot retrieve your info, please hold for a representative". connects me to a rep and she just confirms the transactions and quickly says have a good day and tries to hang up. I said "okay so is the alert cleared and the transaction should go through now?" she said that they are actually a third party company (can't remember the name of the company) and that if I wanted more info I'd need to contact WF directly. this same experience happened when calling 1-800-446-0664 and 1-888-671-2468.

So after I re-attempted the transaction after calling number in wiki it was declined again. This time I called the number on the back of the card and the lady reassured me that the card was cleared even saying she put a pre authorization alert on the account so it will definitely allow another purchase as long as it was under $500. But to no avail declined again.

Essentially I need to talk to CSR's 3 times for every 1 transaction to go through. I realize this is sketchy talking to CSR's so much about this and I am really hoping someone has personal experience on what to do in this situation.

I have tried waiting for automated number to call me but it only happened once and even after clearing up the charges with automated person it still didn't go through.

I have tried larger purchases ($1500 of GC's in one transaction) and also tried splitting them into smaller $500 transactions (roughly 499.98 to be just under $500) but nothing seems to work.

I have also put some small gas purchases and one small Walgreens purchase on the card since getting it. Does throwing in small regular purchase transactions throw off the computers and mess with FA's or something?

Anyone have any advice on transaction amounts/sequences? Or another number I can call that will actually connect me with an automated line to clear up FA's? or any other suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I have found on occasion that if a transaction gets declined and fraud never calls, you may have been able to immediately attempt a second swipe that would have gone through. Try that next time
Old May 19, 2015, 8:58 am

Thanks.
You are going through quite a bit. The thread does mention that fraud calls are almost universal for everyone, at least for the first month. I received fraud alerts every other transaction for awhile and had to speak to a rep a number of times. Eventually things calmed down for a few months with no issues. Then in the last 2 months, they started again, about every 5 transactions. This time though I was able to verify all fraud alerts through their automated system. Just make sure you have the auto fraud # on your phone. You will get a message or call 5-10 minutes after a transaction is declined. It got to the point I would tell the cashier I'll be right back (after a decline). Would go to my car and the call would come. Acknowledged they were mine and went back in. Only spoke to a human in the first month, not the last couple.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:24 am

Thanks.
You have to train the card and stop doing multiple transactions.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
You have to train the card and stop doing multiple transactions.
exactly, the less transactions the better. We always did $5k at a time and never less, but now that store has a $2k max. Never did a single transaction less than $4k in our 6 months
Old May 19, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
also remember that the retailer itself will temporarily block your card if you try too many times.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:29 pm

Paying balance with Money Orders at a branch?

I am in the first month and would like any feedback about paying down the balance with MOs in a branch. I am not talking about deposits into checking. But paying the CC directly. Has anyone done that on a consistent basis? Once a week for 3-10K each payment? Or should I do a smaller amount of payments? Will it make a difference to go to different branches?

I searched but could not get an answer.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:04 pm

a. No need to cross post.
b. The answer is don't do it.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by hokiegl
Paying balance with Money Orders at a branch?

I am in the first month and would like any feedback about paying down the balance with MOs in a branch. I am not talking about deposits into checking. But paying the CC directly. Has anyone done that on a consistent basis? Once a week for 3-10K each payment? Or should I do a smaller amount of payments? Will it make a difference to go to different branches?

I searched but could not get an answer.
Done it many times.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Done it many times.
Do you mind telling me how much volume? You can PM me if you wish. Also, did they ever ask why the MOs?
Old May 21, 2015, 4:25 pm

Just got WF visa signature last week and had issues using it at cvs but after speaking with cs few times, it has been behaving.
Do they still have 120k rewards limit per calander year? If so that works out to be only 24k at pharmacy.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:39 pm

what happens to awards after month 6? do people just milk this thing for 6 month and then cancel because it goes back to 1%?
Old May 22, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Iridium7777
what happens to awards after month 6? do people just milk this thing for 6 month and then cancel because it goes back to 1%?
Travel Hacking 101 would say never cancel an account that quick. Further, it is no annual fee, so absolutely no reason to cancel and it will help build your FICO score.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by hokiegl
Do you mind telling me how much volume? You can PM me if you wish. Also, did they ever ask why the MOs?
Never been asked. Also pay my Well Fargo mortgage in bank with MO.

I think we all have to remember what money orders are for; paying bills. Thus, it is really not suspicious activity. I probably run through 4-6K MO this way and also make payment to it with checkfreepay at wally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.