Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:55 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
As always all you need to do is call the reconsideration line and give them "the talk"... I've never not had them approve a card when I've called. You may need to move credit from a different Chase card but that's not a big deal.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:16 am

Decided against applying for any Citi cards as I already have the the AA cards.

Called Chase Recon line this morning and re-allocated limits from another card cards and got approval for both! It was odd though after approval I then had to do a verification for just the SWA card with an agent from the Philppines asking all kinds of info about my credit report, etc.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Ok all -
I have the following cards -

Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card
US Airways dividend
Amex Business Gold Rewards
Chase Saphire Preffered

I dont think hitting the min for them is a problem. I wanted to know, once i hit the min and get the pts, which ones i should cancel? The reason i ask is because i heard it can take months/years before a person can re apply for cards to get bonus offers.
I dont want to miss an offer because i was a fool to still continue to hold on to the card.

Any advice?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arsenalman
Ok all -
I have the following cards -

Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card
US Airways dividend
Amex Business Gold Rewards
Chase Saphire Preffered

I dont think hitting the min for them is a problem. I wanted to know, once i hit the min and get the pts, which ones i should cancel? The reason i ask is because i heard it can take months/years before a person can re apply for cards to get bonus offers.
I dont want to miss an offer because i was a fool to still continue to hold on to the card.

Any advice?
You don't want to cancel as soon as you get the bonus, that's a bad idea. Sometimes there will be bonuses like the US Air one that's going around when people don't use the card for a few months, or switching to paperless statements.

If you cancel at the end of the year I would keep the US Air until AA merger is complete for the easy 10k miles, and the CSP as an every day spend card.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
yeah i wasnt thinking about closing it asap but maybe 5 months or so after i got the bonus. I didnt know if that was the norm or if once you get a card, thats it. No more bonus from that card in the future.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arsenalman
yeah i wasnt thinking about closing it asap but maybe 5 months or so after i got the bonus. I didnt know if that was the norm or if once you get a card, thats it. No more bonus from that card in the future.
You can also call once the year is up and ask for the fee to be waived for Chase cards so you don't have to lose the history on your credit report, sometimes they'll offer you miles or a spending challenge to help balance it out, a bunch of 2-3 month accounts on your history is going to hurt it.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:34 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Do you still have Citi "Gold" AAdvantage MC (30k) link? thank you for your help.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
My billing statement will be closed on May 14. So If I buy at drugstore before May 14, and all my purchased posted before May 14 which is ending my statement. Will I earn 6x on those purchases?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Red face

deleted

Last edited by texasguy77; Mar 17, 2013 at 9:35 am Reason: deleted
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
BoH/BoA are issued by same company

Originally Posted by PainCorp
The thing about doing an AoR in one day, is if you do it quick enough, within a few hours, the banks won't see the applications yet, that's why we do them all together, so you should be fine with 10 apps, as long as your credit can support each card on it's own.

There's also other factors in play, your individual credit history, your relationships with the banks, etc. I personally spread 8 out over about a week and a half and got approved for all of them, and I have similar scores to you. Chase didn't even do a hard pull on my credit.

As for your cards, the Southwest Plus is a no go (for me), I would only get the premiere, and only if it has the 50k bonus. With the Premiere you get 6,000RR points which is equal to the annual fee, with the Plus you only get 3,000 which is $50, leaving $20 of the fee uncovered.

I love that you've done your research and have the AA Platinum and Gold, kudos to you, too many people are still trying for the Amex and Visa. Good combo. ^

Barclay's to me is a no brainer right now, since they'll be AA miles soon (as long as merger is approved).

I personally got the BoH card, but will not touch BoA due to ethical issues with the company.

I got the same Hilton card, and it's going in the drawer to hold on to, I think. No fee makes that a hard decision, since Amex can be finicky with churning and new bonuses.

Have you looked at UA MP Explorer? Those miles can be more beneficial depending on your travel needs compared to SWA, but depends on your intended destination and travel preference.

After this, for your next AoR, if I were you I would plan out how I want to use my miles/points and base your next AoR on that, since you will know how many you need in which programs to achieve your goal.
Hate to break to to you, but although the BoH card is issued by FIA, they are owned and operated by Bank of America. Hence the reason when you apply for both cards, the same analyst is able to approve/deny both applications.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:44 am
Suspended

But Bank of America is still not Bank of Hawaii. Issuing the cards doesn't mean they are the same bank.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp
But Bank of America is still not Bank of Hawaii. Issuing the cards doesn't mean they are the same bank.
okay if that makes it better for you, then I'm game.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by texasguy77
okay if that makes it better for you, then I'm game.
Just because a Bank of America company issues the cards, does not mean that they own Bank of Hawaii.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by texasguy77
Hate to break to to you, but although the BoH card is issued by FIA, they are owned and operated by Bank of America. Hence the reason when you apply for both cards, the same analyst is able to approve/deny both applications.
Are you saying BofH is owned by BofA of that FIA is owned by BofA?

Last edited by philemer; Mar 17, 2013 at 7:34 pm
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by philemer
Are you saying BofH is owned by BofA of that FIA is owned by BofA?
I'm a little confused as well. I believe, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that they outsource their credit card logistics to FIA, and that's it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.