Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

[QUOTE=actie;21019009]Advice sought for first ever AOR.

I am pretty much a clean slate.

I'm a clean slate when it comes to rewards programs, too.

My goal: A trip to Japan for two in summer 2014, F or J round-trip. (I'm in NYC.) If I can partially cover the hotels with points, too, that's a plus, but covering the flights is definitely the priority.

AOR: I I'm not sure what else to apply for. Suggestions very welcome.[/QUOTe

The cc world is wide open for you. Read these threads for ideas and take it slow at first to minimize beginner mistakes. For hotels, check out the offerings in Japan, then apply for a credit card program that has the hotels you want.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:28 am
wa2

Fresh New Face to AOR

Hello! Rookie looking for help in maximizing first AOR. My boss and I are eager to learn from the wonderful people here @ flyertalk. We are currently based in NYC. I racked up a decent amount of Avios points via MR points transfer (we travel frequently on short hauls from NYC).

Goals:
• Maldives, Bali or Dubai in 1st Class, stay @ top of the line Hilton/SPG
• Would like to travel to Florida & California once this year

Current Cards:
Me:
• Chase Freedom (late 2012)
• Chase Business Bold (signed up early Jun13 – almost got the 50k)
• American Express Business (signed up in Mar13)
• TD Signature Visa
Boss:
• Chase Freedom (mid 2012)
• SPG Personal AMEX (bonus achieved, Jan 2012)

Recent Cancellations:
Me: SPG Personal AMEX, Premier Rewards AMEX
Boss: Premier Rewards AMEX

Creditkarma: 769

Initial Thoughts:
• Probably want to gear long-distance travel around Chase/United, Amex MR and AA Points (delta and swa dont’ seem worth it)
• Looking to sign-up for MB Plat Amex to get global entry etc
• I’m thinking...
o Me: MB Amex (50k bonus), Citi Amex (50k bonus, not sure where to find this), Chase Sapphire (40k bonus), United Explorer Business (50k? Not sure where to find this)
o Boss: Chase Bold Ink (50k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (40k), Citi MC or Amex (50k?)

Any help/advice would be awesome! Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by crazygringo
Has anyone had success in the past getting 3 Chase cards all at once?(2 personal + 1 business)

I'm looking to stock up on some United miles by getting the following 3 cards.

United MileagePlus Explorer 30,000
Chase Sapphire Preffered 40,000
United MileagePlus Business Explorer 30,000

Is this a feasible plan with a FICO of 715 and no existing Chase cards?
Not all at once but I got 3 chase cards in 1 month with no prior relationship besides a checking account that I rarely used.

CSP/Freedom/Ink Bold
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:24 pm

Wife and I applied for 40 cards over past 24 months, no declines -- until several weeks ago when we both applied for the Arrival card.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:46 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
I did my first app-o-rama.. he only decline - Barclays US card.. I started with their card before moving on to other cards.. reason for decline- very little credit history.. are you kidding me- i already have the NFL card, so obviously your banks thinks my credit history is fine..!!!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
Data point, yesterday AOR applied for:
Amex-Delta
Barclay-Arrival
USBank Carlson-Business
USBank Carlson-Personal
Chase-Bold
Chase-Pus

All six went to pending. Not a single automatic acceptance!
Update to this. I was approved for all six cards including the two Chase Ink cards. None were auto and some took calls to reconsideration.

Wife approved for Citi 50K Adv, and Chase Marriott (after rejection and reconsideration with cancelling UA card). She received rejection notice for both Carlson cards and Arrival. No notice on Ink card as of yet.

Last edited by FlyingBoat; Jul 3, 2013 at 7:50 am
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
The cc world is wide open for you. Read these threads for ideas and take it slow at first to minimize beginner mistakes. For hotels, check out the offerings in Japan, then apply for a credit card program that has the hotels you want.
Thanks. I did my first, baby-sized AOR today: Chase United Explorer 50k, Citi AA Plat 50k. Both insta-approved. I guess I've got beginner's karma!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by actie
Thanks. I did my first, baby-sized AOR today: Chase United Explorer 50k, Citi AA Plat 50k. Both insta-approved. I guess I've got beginner's karma!
No, you have a credit history relatively free of inquiries.

HA!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Hey guys, I'm starting to plan for my next AOR, but have some questions. Here are my apps from 2013:

May 31: CSP - instant approval
May 31: Amex Blue (for backdating and increasing aaoa purposes) - instant approval
May 31: Citi Diamond Preferred - instant approval
June 3: Barclay US - instant approval

I'm not sure if I should apply for the next round on Sept 1 or Dec 1 to be safe. I plan to use my miles to go to PEK/PVG on UA in Fall 2014 (any time between mid Sept to mid Dec), and also for hotels there. Here's what I have planned for the next round:

Chase Ink Classic (because otherwise it's too much spending) - UR for UA miles
Chase Priority Club or Marriot
Barclays US - this would be my fourth... Is this too much? My first was from June 2012, second was Dec 2012, closed first, then got third in June 2013.
Should I also throw in 2 Citi AA cards, or can I only do one per app now?

And I'm not sure if I should to go DTW-EWR/ORD-PEK using UR-UA or DTW-ORD-PEK using US miles redeemed on UA. If I go the UR-UA route, then my 105K US miles would probably become AA miles by the time I use them.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:19 pm

.deleted.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by agp423
Hey guys, I'm starting to plan for my next AOR, but have some questions. Here are my apps from 2013:

May 31: CSP - instant approval
May 31: Amex Blue (for backdating and increasing aaoa purposes) - instant approval
May 31: Citi Diamond Preferred - instant approval
June 3: Barclay US - instant approval

I'm not sure if I should apply for the next round on Sept 1 or Dec 1 to be safe. I plan to use my miles to go to PEK/PVG on UA in Fall 2014 (any time between mid Sept to mid Dec), and also for hotels there. Here's what I have planned for the next round:

Chase Ink Classic (because otherwise it's too much spending) - UR for UA miles
Chase Priority Club or Marriot
Barclays US - this would be my fourth... Is this too much? My first was from June 2012, second was Dec 2012, closed first, then got third in June 2013.
Should I also throw in 2 Citi AA cards, or can I only do one per app now?

And I'm not sure if I should to go DTW-EWR/ORD-PEK using UR-UA or DTW-ORD-PEK using US miles redeemed on UA. If I go the UR-UA route, then my 105K US miles would probably become AA miles by the time I use them.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Just a FYI. US will be leaving *A soon because of the merger with AA, so when are you planning on your trip, since US might not be part of *A at that time. IF so then I would plan on using my AA miles and fly CX... Much better airline than AA.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:49 am
Accor Contributor Badge

True. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to apply for a fourth US card is so I can get 120K+ miles so I can fly in biz on UA. But since by Sept next year US will probably be part of One World I shouldn't bother.

CX will always route me DTW-ORD-HKG-PEK, too many segments and too much time. AA will just do DTW-ORD-PEK, which is why I prefer that. No loyalty to the brand though, just seems like it'll be the fastest getting me from DTW to PEK.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by agp423
True. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to apply for a fourth US card is so I can get 120K+ miles so I can fly in biz on UA. But since by Sept next year US will probably be part of One World I shouldn't bother.

CX will always route me DTW-ORD-HKG-PEK, too many segments and too much time. AA will just do DTW-ORD-PEK, which is why I prefer that. No loyalty to the brand though, just seems like it'll be the fastest getting me from DTW to PEK.
Have the fun is getting there, and when it comes to CX in FC an extra segment is not a bad thing.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Okay, will keep that in mind! Any advice on my app strategy?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:06 pm

Since jumping into this hobby I've been cautious and just applying for a few here and there. Mostly due to spend requirements (I'm not really into manufactured spend).

The goal is possibly Hawaii over New Years. I have tickets in J/F on hold with AA and am looking to try and cover hotels.

I have:
Starwood personal (40K balance)
Priority Club (30K balance)
Sapphire (downgraded it from plus and pushed points over to United)
United Explorer (I downgraded to a fee free version to preserve credit lines)
AA visa

Hubby has similar, but he kept the Sapphire Plus and has two AA cards.

All cards were opened between 12-18 months ago.

Had mortgage pull in February and a new car purchased a week ago.

I can feasibly charge about 3K per month.

My thoughts for a churn for hubby and I:

Ink (we have a rental property, but I've never applied for business cards) x 2
Starwood business x 2
Hyatt? Or Hilton?

Other thought was to go for AA to build back up the balance (since we'll be down to about 100K combined after Hawaii purchase). I'd like to keep some flexibility in terms of being able to transfer, which is why the UR and SPG appealed to me.
Any advice for a relative newb?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.