Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:24 am
wcj

Did you try the Barclay card first or last? All sorts of threads here on Barclay declines for too many inquiries with recommendations to do their app first.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:55 am

Churn Results: My first decline

I've opened over 25 cards in the last year. I've been turned down once. Yup, Barclays. The hell with them. Amex, Chase, and Citi seem happy to have my business. Seems that Barclays and USAIR are perfect for each other.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: spg gold
Things are changing at Barclays, they are pulling from all three, so you take three hits. Next they seem to look at all your activity over the last 12/24 months
if you look like one of us you will not be getting the card. Having said that for some reason some will still get approved, I did but wife was a no go. Just decide if three pulls is worth it.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:47 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by samfelix
I've opened over 25 cards in the last year. I've been turned down once. Yup, Barclays. The hell with them. Amex, Chase, and Citi seem happy to have my business. Seems that Barclays and USAIR are perfect for each other.

Well... that is a lot of cards in a year by any standards. It's common knowledge on these boards that Barclays reviews both the number of recent applications and the useage of the cards previously issued. So were you surprised?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:03 am

Barclays is a pain the .... They don't like it when you have too many inquiries. They don't like it when you don't use their card enough... Screw em
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:39 pm

Out of 7 Barclays applications within the past year, the only approvals were for the US Airways and Frontier cards (both on the same day). Calling reconsideration resulted in another credit pull and denial on the grounds that I have had "too many accounts open."

On the other hand, I have been able to get instant approvals on Citi and AMEX cards like candy, and for the most part Chase cards.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Originally Posted by nrdk
This was my first official AOR, I've had a Chase Freedom card for about 3 years now, and an Ink Bold for about 3 months. All of the applications were submitted online, approved for between 5k - 6k on each card.

My credit score is around ~770, with my average account age is just shy of 5 years, some student loan debt, and a first mortgage within the last 4 months. Have 4 open CC other than the ones just opened, with hard pulls going 4 - 3 - 3 before applying. I'll run my report here after my statements close at the first of the month and let you know what kind of inquiries I got and how it affected my scores.
Thanks. How did you get the 40000 points for 2k spend for the CSP? The requirement is 3k.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by bensim
Thanks. How did you get the 40000 points for 2k spend for the CSP? The requirement is 3k.
You can get it by applying at a Chase branch. The Miles Professor has a blog post about it.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
You can get it by applying at a Chase branch. The Miles Professor has a blog post about it.
It's worth noting though, that people that apply in the branch have had more than a few issues with the bonus not posting...
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Thanks, but I think nrdk said he applied online.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by PainCorp
It's worth noting though, that people that apply in the branch have had more than a few issues with the bonus not posting...
Good to know. A CSR confirmed my bonus over the phone, but I'll make sure to pay extra attention after I hit my minimum spend.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 2:11 pm

Churn Results: My first decline

@Startin: why yes, I was very surprised obviously. Hence my mini rant. Like I said, I was approved for EVERY card for which I applied. The common knowledge of Barclays being a giant PITA is relatively recent. As I mentioned , the heck with Barclays. I'm sure they don't care but given they seem to turn down virtually everybody at one time or another they seem to be losing a lot of share vs their competitors.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by samfelix
@Startin: why yes, I was very surprised obviously. Hence my mini rant. Like I said, I was approved for EVERY card for which I applied. The common knowledge of Barclays being a giant PITA is relatively recent. .

Hang in there. I think when you start to up the ante, such as more apps than the average person, you are bound to have some bumps in the road.

I'm a relative newcomer, so the Barclays churnability was already a thing of the past when I started learning about miles and points. It seems like booms turn to bust in the miles world pretty quickly.

In the meantime, with or without Barclays, you've got lots of spend to work on and a terrific haul by any standards.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Hang in there. I think when you start to up the ante, such as more apps than the average person, you are bound to have some bumps in the road.

I'm a relative newcomer, so the Barclays churnability was already a thing of the past when I started learning about miles and points. It seems like booms turn to bust in the miles world pretty quickly.

In the meantime, with or without Barclays, you've got lots of spend to work on and a terrific haul by any standards.
Well Barclays seems to be losing their best cards, US Air, VX, they really don't have that many overly appealing options that are worth a pull, at least to me. Hopefully Barclays will make themselves obsolete soon....
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Hopefully Barclays will make themselves obsolete soon....
I think the marketplace responds best to competition, so I hope that Barclays, US Bank, Bank of America, Cap 1 etc INCREASE, not decrease their offerings in the future. The more banks vying for customers, the better for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.