Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
My upcoming AoR:

-US Bank Club Carlson -- business and personal (froze IDA/ARS)
-Barclay US Airways (was thinking Lufthansa but US card will disappear)
-BofA Alaska Airlines 30K
-Citi Hilton Reserve
-Chase Marriott Personal 70K
-Chase United Business 55K

No Amex card but I usually wait for good offers to show up.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
My upcoming AoR:

-US Bank Club Carlson -- business and personal (froze IDA/ARS)
-Barclay US Airways (was thinking Lufthansa but US card will disappear)
-BofA Alaska Airlines 30K
-Citi Hilton Reserve
-Chase Marriott Personal 70K
-Chase United Business 55K

No Amex card but I usually wait for good offers to show up.
I wouldn't worry about the US card going away too soon.. I got the Lufthansa card when it it was increased, so did my partner, we are working on getting 37K miles so we can enjoy LH FC..
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I wouldn't worry about the US card going away too soon.. I got the Lufthansa card when it it was increased, so did my partner, we are working on getting 37K miles so we can enjoy LH FC..
True ... Barclays doesn't like me getting a card more than every 6 months, so if the US card is going to still be there in 6 months, that'd be cool ...

You can still get LH F with United miles within 2 weeks, and as I've just status matched, I won't have to pay award fees. But LH does get more award space ... if you're going for the 37K extra miles, forget the LH card and spend it on SPG, you get 25K LH miles for 20K SPG points.

85K one-way is pretty steep + the $290 in fees, but if you can nab an F seat FRA-SFO or FRA-LAX on the A380 or 747-8i in advance, could be worth it.

Last edited by amolkold; Jun 13, 2013 at 9:46 pm
Old Jun 14, 2013, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
True ... Barclays doesn't like me getting a card more than every 6 months, so if the US card is going to still be there in 6 months, that'd be cool ...

You can still get LH F with United miles within 2 weeks, and as I've just status matched, I won't have to pay award fees. But LH does get more award space ... if you're going for the 37K extra miles, forget the LH card and spend it on SPG, you get 25K LH miles for 20K SPG points.

85K one-way is pretty steep + the $290 in fees, but if you can nab an F seat FRA-SFO or FRA-LAX on the A380 or 747-8i in advance, could be worth it.
The FC experience is what we are looking for, and the added expense of the beans and GC is part of the game. I have plenty of UA miles, and at times it is very hard to find the flights we want 2 weeks out, BTW, I would pay the 85K and fly LH in FC then UA in "global first." BTW, there are some nice tricks that allow you to fly without paying fuel surcharges, a nice weekend in South America is one of them and still experience the LH FC and ground service.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The FC experience is what we are looking for, and the added expense of the beans and GC is part of the game. I have plenty of UA miles, and at times it is very hard to find the flights we want 2 weeks out, BTW, I would pay the 85K and fly LH in FC then UA in "global first." BTW, there are some nice tricks that allow you to fly without paying fuel surcharges, a nice weekend in South America is one of them and still experience the LH FC and ground service.
I prefer GRU-BCN in SQ F for 59K Amex
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:49 am

Churn Assistance

I'm pretty excited for my next churn this weekend as I just bought a house and haven't been able to pick up credit cards for the past 6 months.

I currently have:

Chase
-SWA Personal, SWA Biz (and companion pass)
-British Airways
-Freedem
-Sapphire
-Hyatt
-United (cancelled in November so can't reapply yet)

Citi
-Dividend World
-AA Amex & AA Visa
-Hilton Visa Signature (x2)

Barclays
-NFL
-US Airways

AMEX
-SPG

My thought for this churn is:

Barclays (3BM)
-1st: Arrival, 2nd: Lufthansa, 3rd: 2nd US Airways

Chase (2BM)
-United Biz Card
-Ink (if a special bonus comes out for small business week)

Citi
-World MC

AMEX
-Hilton (I want a fee-free AMEX card to keep for the long-term and keep improving the average age of my accounts)

I'm thinking/hoping that this would show 4-5 inquiries (if Chase doubles up for biz/personal which they did when i applied for the SWA pair) and if Barclays inquiries combine.

Has anyone had any experience with applying for multiple Barclays? Is it worth trying? Did your inquiries combine? I figured I would try for a 2nd US Airways after the first two Barclays apps are in/approved since there would be little to lose if I got rejected and didn't get an additional inquiry.

Also thinking about bagging the AMEX Hilton to take an inquiry off of this round but have a question about AMEX cards. I currently have an AMEX SPG; if I were to close that now and then pick up the AMEX Hilton in 6 months, would the opening date go back to the date I opened my AMEX SPG or does it only go back to the open date of active cards?

Always open to suggestions for changes too. I had my entire plan laid out for my last churn, and it completely changed that morning when I woke up.

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:22 am

You may have to be willing to close one of the Chase SW cards (or a different one, but why have two).

I don't think it's likely at all to get 3 Barclays cards. Two is possible, but they gave me a pretty hard time. I would personally go for the US Air card over the Arrival. Reason being is that the US Air card is likely going away and the Arrival is the new bread and butter, so it's probably sticking around for quite some time.

I'm not positive about the Amex question, but I believe you are correct in thinking they will post date your next Amex back to your original one even if you closed it 6 months ago.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:11 pm

I wanted the prg for manufactured spend...2x at grocery stores
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
My thoughts in blue.

Barclays (3BM)
-1st: Arrival, 2nd: Lufthansa, 3rd: 2nd US Airways

You can't do three Barclay apps. You won't get approved.
They've become increasingly stricter about approving people with lots of inquiries.

I don't think the inquiries will combine. You could do one. Two if you haven't applied for any other cards in the past 6 months or more and have an excellent score.

Chase (2BM)
-United Biz Card
-Ink (if a special bonus comes out for small business week)

Though people have gotten approved for two cards at once, I don't think
A. The inquires would combine in this instance.
B. You'd get approved. You already have 6 cards. You'll probably have to end up cancelling one (or two) cards.

Citi
-World MC

Good choice.

AMEX
-Hilton (I want a fee-free AMEX card to keep for the long-term and keep improving the average age of my accounts)

Another good option. Get the bonus. Then around a year (could be sooner), you could upgrade to the Surpass (the offer just pops up in your account), get the other bonus and then downgrade back to this card. A good card to keep.

I'm thinking/hoping that this would show 4-5 inquiries (if Chase doubles up for biz/personal which they did when i applied for the SWA pair) and if Barclays inquiries combine.

Has anyone had any experience with applying for multiple Barclays? Is it worth trying? Did your inquiries combine? I figured I would try for a 2nd US Airways after the first two Barclays apps are in/approved since there would be little to lose if I got rejected and didn't get an additional inquiry.

Maybe someone else could chip in here. Don't have too much knowledge about inquiries combining...But from what I (thought I) know, inquiries only get combined for identical cards.

Also thinking about bagging the AMEX Hilton to take an inquiry off of this round but have a question about AMEX cards. I currently have an AMEX SPG; if I were to close that now and then pick up the AMEX Hilton in 6 months, would the opening date go back to the date I opened my AMEX SPG or does it only go back to the open date of active cards?

Amex is amazing in that they'll backdate your account! So even the new cards would show the older date.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:36 am

I can personally say the inquiries from barclays won't combine. I applied for two NFL cards the same day and one got instant approved and the other one got approved a few days later. Got two inquiries even though I pressed the submit button within seconds of each other.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Churn Assistance

Barclay is getting very strict about churning. The fact that you already have a USairways card will put your app for a second on auto deny. I closed a US card 3 years ago and had to go through reconsideration. Credit analyst specifically mentioned that they are hand screening to avoid churn and apps just for sign up bonus
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Churn Assistance

Just applied for 2nd Barclay's US Airways card, 35k 1st use, this year with SO and both approved, 1st card was in Jan. have had several others over the years.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jatink129
Amex is amazing in that they'll backdate your account! So even the new cards would show the older date.
I'm pretty new to the idea of multiple applications/churning etc... so please forgive what is probably a silly question:

Are you saying that if I get approved for an Amex card today (an Amex issued by Amex and not another bank) it will show on my credit report as being as old as my existing SPG Amex and therefore improve the average age of my credit cards?

Last edited by Stripy; Jun 16, 2013 at 2:33 am
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:45 am

Thanks everyone for the advice!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by Stripy
I'm pretty new to the idea of multiple applications/churning etc... so please forgive what is probably a silly question:

Are you saying that if I get approved for an Amex card today (an Amex issued by Amex and not another bank) it will show on my credit report as being as old as my existing SPG Amex and therefore improve the average age of my credit cards?
Yup. That's exactly what I'm saying.
Mind=Blown...right?

That's what I felt when I first came to know. ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.